So You Got a Bad Game for Christmas

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite, DSi, PSP, Kinect, Move
You have forgotten about something, my dear.

Also, no christmas=no gifts, no problem! U mad, otherreligionfags?

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
KP Shadow said:
I only got three games for Christmas this year. Two for my DS, and one off of the Xbox Live Arcade that I bought with money that I had recieved. They were, in order of how much I enjoyed them:

Super Scribblenauts - You can create Santa Christ. That is all.
Bakugan: Defenders of the Core - Actually has nothing to do with the Bakugan tabletop game. Gameplay's pretty good, story's kinda meh, ending's just another pile of fight for what you believe in, friendship makes everything better, heart of the balls bullshit. Skipped all of the cutscenes.
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds: Decade Duels - It's pretty good. Though I heard some NPCs summon a bunch of monsters in one turn. Isn't that against the rules?
Hey! I know what the 5Ds in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds: Decade Duels stand for! Don't play it!

----

I remember the first game I ever received from extended family when I was probably 5-6...
Aunt thought it was an "educational" game since old people are like that with games "have to be educational."

It was Rayman =D

supersword44

Dec 25, 2009
i loved this article in fact id recommend it to my friends if it wasn't for that fact it was my girlfriend who got me Beowulf: the movie:the game. at least she tried.

Zapperdude

Mar 19, 2009
This is when I will tell you about how i turned into a gamer.

A Christmas a Long time ago, me and my brother opened a present from our grandparents, it was Neverwinter Nights. The first one. My grandfather bought it because, "the lady at the back looked pretty (Lady Aribeth people :D) and we were really happy that he`d bought something as awesome as a videogame.

Me and my brother played videogames like most other kids, but it was THIS one (together with Warcraft 3 we had gotten ourself earlier) that turned me and him into gamers. It DID take us some time to understand this weird and unusual game, but when we did, we found out how deep and compelling games can be.

God, I miss that time.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
KP Shadow said:
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds: Decade Duels - It's pretty good. Though I heard some NPCs summon a bunch of monsters in one turn. Isn't that against the rules?
Screw the rules, I have money.

Anyway, I know how hard it is for people to get games as gifts since well, unless you know what you're looking for it's a long haul and let's face it, I've made some bad choices too.

This year I got a few games with gift cards that I was given. I got Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption and Rock Band 3 all for the 360. I am happy with my gifts.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This is why I write a list of the things I want. No thinking involved. Mom goes to the store, says I want this, this, and this and bam, shopping for Steve is easy.

When it comes to the holidays, if I don't tell you exactly what I want, just give me money, because odds are you'll fuck up otherwise. That's just how my family is.

But I did well this year. Fable 3, AssCreed Bros, Lords of Shadow, Enslaved, and Blood Stone :D

Darkstrike_11

Apr 15, 2009
absolutely brilliant article, as always. It's always fascinating, yet also hugely chilling, to see how marketers do their job!

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
This is why every year I give a list of games to my family that I want to get.

Unfortunately despite the fact that I list the platform, sometimes they get it for the wrong
system >.<

Also I was the cool experienced Big Cousin this year at Christmas and got my cousins Uncharted 2 and Infamous ;)

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I've never understood why it's such a taboo to ask the person what they want. Though my Grandad needed some convincing that I actually wanted a game called Epic Mickey; he thought it sounded like a kids game...

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Ive luckily never had this problem. In terms of immediate family, I am always clear what games I want. For extended family they just get me gift cards which works well.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
That's nice, but how do we stop getting shovelware for Christmas? What can we say? What can marketing strategies and retailers do to help the problem? Or, from a marketing perspective, is this just seen as a good way to move products that normally wouldn't sell very well?

Tricking the naive into buying crapware with clever box art or placement in the store offer short term gains only and longterm disillusionment when grandma asks what you thought of the game she got you, and knows by the tone of your voice that you probably didn't play it much, and sensibly just gives you money or a gift certificate for next year.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Must.. not.. be.. manipulated.. despite.. logical.. argumentatio- Agh!

Darn you, Professional Marketing! Darn you!

civver

May 15, 2009
Surprise is overrated. Better to ask what people want so they'll be genuinely happy with their present.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
Got three games for Birthmas (B'day's close to Christmas so I kind of group them) - Metro 2033, Fallout: New Vegas and Need for Speed. Asked for all of them and got what I wanted. :)

I've never just asked someone 'buy me a video game please' - unless they've come with the console itself (damn you Sega Superstars Tennis) I've asked for it. And very grateful I am too. :)

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Darkstrike_11 said:
absolutely brilliant article, as always. It's always fascinating, yet also hugely chilling, to see how marketers do their job!
I'm with him, this is one of the best articles I've seen here in some time. Can't say I've seen any of your other ones (I may start looking, now), but it was well-written, informative and quite interesting, if alarming.

As for me, between not celebrating Christmas and having never received a single gift in my life, I'm in the clear. This also makes me the one my grandparents (and, to a lesser extent, relatives in general) look to for suggestions. After all, they get help and still get to keep it a surprise.

So far, this approach has resulted in Metroid Prime, Portal, Torchlight, DoW2 and a few others. Actually suggested that they try some of the above, too. Surprisingly enough, this was done, and my advice basically isn't needed any more (recent advice-free picks were Arkham Asylum and Fallout 3).

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
See my Aunt took the awesome path and decided to get me a computer chair as she knew I was using a lawn chair at the time. Normally she gives me like 20$ in some kind of container that's a pain in the ass to open.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I spent this whole article saying to myself, "...geez, you guys are just a bunch of professional dicks, aren't ya?"

But I get the very eerie impression that everyone who works in marketing is proud of that. Excellent article, enlightening and disheartening all at the same time. I guess the consumer can't win!