Soccer World Cup Teams Given Anime Girl Mascots

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
England is probably my favourite! Some of them weren't that great though, but I guess that's what happens when you whip out 45 characters quickly.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hahaha, a couple of these are just bizarre. I like Algeria and Iran with their oh-so-chaste veiled faces and bikini outfits! And Germany looks like Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Wasn't she even supposed to have been trained there? But she wasn't a German citizen herself or was she the child of immigrants/people who like Japanese names? Bosnia and Herzegovina is just depressing, though. England looks awesome, although that sort of character and pose would've seemed more appropriate for France (Jeanne d'Arc, anyone?); I guess their actual one isn't a bad fit, either, though. Overall a silly but sometimes enjoyable endeavour, thanks.

Kuro Serpentina

Dec 10, 2012
Its like a sexier, more violent version of Hetalia
I for one approve
Also, the fact that England looks so badass when we got kicked out before it even started~ And that we're a flat chest...
10/10

Aug 31, 2012
Tono Makt said:
Colombia... not quite so bad, given how much Colombians seem to love their women dying their hair blond, or value blond hair. (See: Shakira) I'm inclined to include Brazil with Colombia, but I don't know how much Brazil prizes blond hair; they seem to be quite proud of beautiful women in all colours, both natural and colour-not-appearing-in-nature, so maybe a blond Brazilian isn't so terrible. Iran and Algeria seem to be designed to mock Islam - when most of the Euro nations are more covered up than the Islamic nations, it looks more like mockery than just artistic license.
Colombia is a reference to Carlos Valderama:

Algeria I think is meant to be a belly dancer, not completely out of Algeria's remit, seeing as the Western term was coined to describe the dancing of some tribes native to Algeria.

Yeah, Iran and Bosnia were a little bit cringe inducing.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Now we've seen something like I wonder if someone will make an anime based on the world cup from qualifiers to the finals. I thinking along the lines of Galactik football minus the weird stuff. Now I'm beginning to wonder how my homeland Zimbabwe would look like since the team's nicknames is the warriors and one of the team songs is about having a BBQ.

Captcha: cloud nine.I'm some way there.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Dr. Crawver said:
Yaaay...more anime girls...

In all honesty I'm kinda sick of this "make X as cute anime girls" thing that's been going on a while. I can't help but feel anime as a medium, while has it's advantages (as does every medium in existence), it has some pretty dam huge flaws and issues that always seem to be swept to one side, and I just find it all so horribly over-rated.

And for the record, I liked the Aussies one, and Germany's one looks stupid.
Yeah, same here. Especially cause so much of anime is dominated by the whole "cute girls doing cute things" genre. It was ok at first, but there's just way too much of it now. I really want to see more stuff like Monster, Mushishi, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, etc.

Nice Trottimus avatar, BTW.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Good God, I've grown old and boring. I don't know why, but there's something about this that just annoys me, and I can't explain what it is.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
SKBPinkie said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Yeah, same here. Especially cause so much of anime is dominated by the whole "cute girls doing cute things" genre. It was ok at first, but there's just way too much of it now. I really want to see more stuff like Monster, Mushishi, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, etc.

Nice Trottimus avatar, BTW.
Yeah, it's overdone.

Also, you're the first person to date I believe who has noticed it.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
There are some good ones, but the "WTF!?" award goes to Switzerland. A block of cheese and a Swiss army knife. Nothing else they could think of? I mean Brazil got the dancer, Russia got eagles, can't remember the one dressed like a lion, and one even had a pet lion. Still they are some cool pics.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I'm amazed it took this long until it show up.

There are a lot of stereotypes that I couldn't figure it out at all though. But anyway, obviously the Brazil one would be a carnaval dancer. I just find it odd for her to be blond... Not like there isn't blonds here, it's just not what I would have pictured.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I find the gallery really slow to navigate and because of that I didn't make it through the whole thing. Sorry if that makes me a terrible person.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Arawn said:
There are some good ones, but the "WTF!?" award goes to Switzerland. A block of cheese and a Swiss army knife. Nothing else they could think of? I mean Brazil got the dancer, Russia got eagles, can't remember the one dressed like a lion, and one even had a pet lion. Still they are some cool pics.
Oh, it could have been much worse.
The German one could have been in a dirndl costume covered in BMW and Mercedes badges.
The Dutch one could have been a Dutch milkmaid sitting on a massive pile of weed in the Amsterdam Red Light District.
Belgium could have just been Manneke Pis with wafels, fries and chocolate.
The French one could have been guillotined with her head in a basket with blue cheese and escargot.
The British one could have been an overweight orange Essex girl that looks slightly like Jeremy Clarkson.
And the American one could have been the female version of this:

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I love these, saved them to my computer the other day.

Although i'll agree that the Bosnia Herzegovina girl is a bit depressing, I can see why he did it, every time I saw the team on T.V. all the players talked about was the recent war. It isn't what defines their country but it's important none the less.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Lol the Honduras one is hilarious. The letter H stands for sex in Japanese slang, that's why she's blushing as she looks at it.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Okay, why exactly is the U.S. girl not wearing the Captain America costume? Don't say it's "too easy." This entire collection is almost exclusively going for the "too easy" option to the point of tastelessness.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
archiebawled said:
What would your suggestions have been for each country? How is it possible to represent a country in one character without resorting to simple things that are generally known about a country/stereotypes of that country?
Having the soccer girls above wear uniforms with their nation's flag on them would do the trick. That presents its own issue (nationality is informed as opposed to apparent), but at least it's not an eyesore or annoying.