Solar Farm Rejected For Fear of Too Much Energy Sucking

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Can we vote that these two people and any children the may have be barred form reproducing so as to not pollute the gene pool with more grotesque idiocy?

If you have UTTERLY no clue how something functions, then you shouldn't be able to speak publicly against it.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Hairless Mammoth said:
Let me guess... If it was an ideal location for a wind farm and a company wanted to set up some turbines, she'd be saying those turbines would cause the wind to stop blowing. (It may affect bird populations if the site was poorly chosen.)
TheSYLOH said:
Some redditor did some digging and found out the real reason they rejected it.
Found this article.

The town would not benefit from the solar farms because they are not located within the town limits, but only in the extraterritorial sections.
The only funding the town would get is about $7,000 per year to train the fire department in case something goes wrong.
Three other solar farms had previously been accepted by the town council, with one of the now putting solar panels up
Basically, the towns already approved two solar farms, they are rejecting this third one because they aren't getting anything out of it.
So yes that "science teacher" is a huge idiot, but the town council is not
Well, at least the council has a degree of common sense and at least one journalist reported the real reason why the decision was made.

Though, I really wonder if it was the right decision. If the farm wouldn't negatively affect the town's budget (Is $7000 a year enough to keep firefighters trained? Will it be enough in a few years?), an extra energy source would already be there in the future in case of growth. The council may have just found a legitimate reason to deny the farm to keep the village idiots quiet without truly giving in to the pressure.
A solar farm takes up a lot of space, doesn't employ a lot of people and doesn't pay much in taxes. (I am also going to guess that they don't actually need or get the power form the plant either.) Ya I can see why they wouldn't want one or another on in this case. They could get a larger economic boom if they used that land for something like a wallmart.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Only answer that I can give:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mLjKI968g

I mean seriously?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Ever the optimist, I assumed the "energy sucking" would refer to some kind of electricity buy-back during off-peak hours to cover the plant's own running requirements. In a small community, something like that could conceivably put a strain on the infrastructure.

But no, it's people worried the solar panels have the ability to draw extra energy out of the sun at a rate faster than it's being produced. Desk, meet head.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
John Keefer said:
retired science teacher
This...
This CREATURE, was in charge of teaching students... SCIENCE. I...
No.
Sorry I can't do this, I just can't. This is legitimately one of the most retarded things I've ever read and I read all about American politics (looking at you Trump, "closing the internet to terrorists").

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Wow....I think...I think I need to lay down after this and think about the stupidity of my fellow americans. Then drown myself in the bathtub.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Oh, sure, I can totally see how solar panels could rob light from farms.

...if it was built directly over the damn farms.

MC1980 said:
I'mma bit late, but this whole thing is bullshit.
It's not complete bullshit. I read through the article myself and while people do bring up reasonable concerns, like that the already established farms are reducing surrounding house value and that children are moving out of town because they don't see a future living in a place with nothing but solar farms, this woman does indeed go up and say those things:
Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn?t cause cancer.

?I want to know what?s going to happen,? she said. ?I want information. Enough is enough. I don?t see the profit for the town.

?People come with hidden agendas,? she said. ?Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn?t sign any paper.?
I particularly like this part:
no one could tell her that solar panels didn?t cause cancer.
She's decided to link a high cancer rate in the area with solar panels, without putting any research into it and refused to believe anything else.

Scientific method at work, folks.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Face palm) Geez, no wonder America as such a poor reputation... If you'll excuse me, I need to bang my head against the wall for a while. Seriously, how stupid can you get?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
(Face palm) Geez, no wonder America as such a poor reputation... If you'll excuse me, I need to bang my head against the wall for a while. Seriously, how stupid can you get?!
Is that why you're banging your head against a wall? To emppirically test it? Because I'd run the experiment on someone else. ;)

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Did the teacher go to the creationist school of science or something, thick as shit.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
While the idiocy does amuse me this is sadly pretty standard at town hall meetings because they only idiots who show up are people who have nothing to do in the middle of the day, so the level of stupid is pretty damn high.

However the council didn't elaborate on why they rejected that solar farm, I can see all sorts of people making the same guesses at reasons beyond sheer townsfolk stupidity, but it is all the same guesswork.
Usually these things boil down to money and as the company isn't giving out any extra money no one is inclined to work in their favor.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Buckets said:
Did the teacher go to the creationist school of science or something, thick as shit.
This may be hard to accept, but creation scientists don't give a witch's tit about solar energy. They're exactly as likely to appreciate solar energy as a clean energy source as anyone else.

Solar power has nothing to do with cosmology.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
sheppie said:
Lightknight said:
This may be hard to accept, but creation scientists don't give a witch's tit about solar energy.
Creationism is a euphemism for fanatically clinging to irrational and clearly untrue arguments.
No, creationism is a defined term for a group of people who wish to combine their religious beliefs with science. I mean, at times it can get hilarious but don't forget that the majority of scientists until more recently were religious minded individuals (monks in particular thanks to the advantage in research preserving writings provides).

How energy is produced does not fall within the realm of creationism. In fact, there are creation scientists who basically believe that God created the universe with the appearance in age and as such can accept every scientific principle. There are other creation scientists who believe that God created the universe and then eons later came to earth where life had been wiped out and reintroduced it and as such also have no problem accepting most scientific principles. All you really have to be in order to be a creation scientist is to be a scientist who also believes that God created the universe/earth.

Basically, all a creationist scientist is, is just someone who tries to apologize religion with science. To try and marry it with ignorance is stereotyping and bigotry on your part. Even for the sake of a joke that's not cool.

Consider this, that we create miniature universes all the times whenever we create a video game. We create physical rules and properties according to our own design. It is not unreasonable to think that given the technology and know-how that we are on a current trajectory to create a complex and massive universe inhabited by sentient AI who may or may not be aware of us as a creator. It is not foolish to consider the possibility that someone has created the universe and considering how frequently we currently make universes then it may even be more likely than a random natural phenomena. It's just unrealistic to think that a sky wizard used magic to do so since magic is inherently something which is impossible. But some guy one universe up who created a kick ass digital universe? Not only would he match all the qualities of a God (all knowing, all powerful, etc), but his ability to have all these qualities would be entirely scientifically explainable. Creationism does not have to be at odds with science. It's just that people have problems with the creator is more directly defined in the absence of knowledge or mystified rather than scientifically quantified.

What you probably mean to say is that creation scientists are often ridiculed as ignorant, but this is frequently along the same lines as deists and theists are mocked by atheists or how all of those are mocked by agnostics. It is a euphemism in the same way "Jew" means adherent of Judaism and/or ethnic Jewish heritage but is used as an insult. Doesn't make it appropriate to do so yourself.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, I suppose technically the solar panels might interfere with the photosynthesis of that plants whose light they block...

Other than that...
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard bigger bullshit...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Lazy Kitty said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard bigger bullshit...
There once was an American science teacher who tried to stop the LHC from being turned on, because he thought it would create a blackhole that would destroy the earth.