Solid Snake Wants You To See Watchmen Again

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
He totally should've read the letter in the Snake voice and recorded that, and distributed it, I would run straight to the theater if I heard that.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It wasn't that good. The giant squid was important. The excessive violence wasn't needed.

*spoilers*

Ending the film with Nite Owl and Spectre chatting about how they can't wait to go beat up criminals is equally bunk. They've just realized that everything they do is hollow and will eventually end with them playing God like Dr. Manhattan. They then proceed to totally not care.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I'll have to see for the first time before I see it a second time, so I better get going on that.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
The reviews for this movie make me laugh.

It's either: "The movie is very close to the book, which is awesome."

Or: "The movie is very close to the book, which sucks." Huh? What?

I just don't understand the second type. They usually follow it up with something like, "Zack Snyder failed to take the opportunity to develop his own vision for the movie." WTF does that even mean? Seriously, I have read that in a dozen reviews. Hollywood critic meaningless BS buzz-phrase. Maybe his "vision" for the movie was to make it as close to the book as possible.

Anyway I'm going to go see it again on Tuesday. I think Solid Snake just wants us to see it so it will further his own acting/writing career. MGS movie FTW!

Nunka

Oct 10, 2007
Vrud said:
Watchmen was a great comic. The movie was really only decent because it was based on the comic - it didn't transfer to the new medium well.
Right on the money. Crazy Alan Moore was right for once when he said (roughly) that Watchmen only works as a comic book.

Keane Ng said:
He totally should've read the letter in the Snake voice and recorded that, and distributed it, I would run straight to the theater if I heard that.
Yeah... Hayter kind of comes off as an ass when he's not doing his Snake voice. Alternatively, David Hayter is an ass, and can only hide that fact while talking like Solid Snake. I can't decide which.

timmytom1 said:
I thought hayter`s script got thrown out when snyder took over procedings?
When Alex Tse joined the crew, he combined two of Hayter's old scripts to create the final product.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
It wasn't that good. The giant squid was important. The excessive violence wasn't needed.
Read the book again. The violence wasn't the least bit excessive. Though I don't hold it against you for disliking the film for other reasons....

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Watching it tomorrow.
My Media Studies teacher said it was good, plus like me he has read the novel so I trust his judgement. After all, it is his job to analyse films.

But thanks to Hayter, Im gonna sneak in through the back door, strangle the security guards and enjoy a raw snake while I watch it.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Yog Sothoth said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Read the book again. The violence wasn't the least bit excessive. Though I don't hold it against you for disliking the film for other reasons....
Looking at my copy right now. Yes. Yes it was. It was typical Snyder Slo-Mo glorification of pummeling and breaking bones. This isn't a comic book, disturbing images lodge into your mind more than slower sections do. In the comic the fight between Spectre & Owl versus the thugs is a few panels. In the film it's a Matrix brawl. Same for the prison. The book was never about violence, it was about the people using it.

I'm not going to ever like this film because it never should've been a movie in the first place. To be quite honest, not many things should be. The long list of video games that make for crappy films is more than enough proof that the entire notion that I have to like the film version as much as I do the source material is nonsense.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
The alley fight, sure, that was bad. Worse was the butcher knife scene, where, I mean, what was the point really of it being that gruesome, especially when the way it's done in the book is way better. I think that's more indicative of the movie's poor handling of violence - it was just hollow and overblown.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Yog Sothoth said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Looking at my copy right now. Yes. Yes it was. It was typical Snyder Slo-Mo glorification of pummeling and breaking bones. This isn't a comic book, disturbing images lodge into your mind more than slower sections do. In the comic the fight between Spectre & Owl versus the thugs is a few panels. In the film it's a Matrix brawl. Same for the prison. The book was never about violence, it was about the people using it.

I'm not going to ever like this film because it never should've been a movie in the first place. To be quite honest, not many things should be. The long list of video games that make for crappy films is more than enough proof that the entire notion that I have to like the film version as much as I do the source material is nonsense.
What do you suppose a "Matrix brawl" might look like in a comic book...? You can do a lot with just a few frames...

While I agree that much of the violence in the film isn't a shot-for-shot reproduction of the book, the book is still inherently violent. Look at the scene (in the book, not the film) when Ozymandias is attacked by the assassin, or when the thug trapped on Rorscharch's cell door is killed... both those scenes are very graphic, and don't hold anything back.

Hell, there's even a blood splotch on the front cover of the book, which should be a dead give away that this is a violent piece of work; a warning, as it were, as to what the reader can expect to find within.

You're correct in that the story isn't about violence, but it does use violence to tell it's story. In my view, the film was no more violent than the book.

Keane Ng said:
The alley fight, sure, that was bad. Worse was the butcher knife scene, where, I mean, what was the point really of it being that gruesome, especially when the way it's done in the book is way better. I think that's more indicative of the movie's poor handling of violence - it was just hollow and overblown.
That I will agree with. While the film and the book are equally violent in my humble opinion, the violence in the book was more tasteful, if such a thing is possible....

EDIT: Back on topic, I was going to see it again this weekend anyways, and if it will make Snake happy in the process that's even better..... Didn't know he co-wrote the script, kinda interesting. Maybe he should write the screenplay for the Metal Gear Solid film, too....

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
sorry but first things that come to mind are, the movie has done bad or the people behind it are greedy...
i really dont like it when people have paid for something someone else has made and the they beg you to watch it again, it just sounds too desperate...

thats all i can really say cause i havent seen the movie

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I haven't even seen it the first time yet. For some reason, the only cinemas showing it are an hour-and-a-halfs drive away.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I went to see the movie with a friend, without having ever heard of the comic. I thought it was a pretty good movie, as far as comic book adaptations go. And I was pretty amazed at the accuracy on most of the shots, while skimming through the comic at a store a few days later.

But I'm not a fan of the series, or of comic books in general. I'm not going to see it in the cinema again.

9of9 said:
There are plenty of absolutely fantastic, artistic, incredibly well-made movies, even ones made in the US that fail miserably at the box office - for whom this plea would be justified. The Watchmen is not one of those. It is neither sufficiently brilliant, nor a commercial failure, judging from the way things are headed right now.
I agree.