Some Final Fantasy XIV Races, Jobs and Cities Revealed

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Some Final Fantasy XIV Races, Jobs and Cities Revealed

Remember when we reported that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93648-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Will-Have-Jobs-Wont-Have-Levels-or-Experience] Final Fantasy XIV would keep the job system (and races) from its predecessor Final Fantasy XI? Well, here's a look at some of them.

The Final Fantasy XIV official website [http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/] has been updated with some new information for Square-Enix's upcoming MMORPG, and some of it is rather interesting. Also, it's all very pretty.

As previously reported, the five races from Final Fantasy XI will be making a reappearance in Eorzea, only with different names. FF11's Humes - that is, humans - are now the Hyur, the Elvaan - Elves, naturally - are now Elezen. The diminutive Tarutaru are known as Lalafell, the mountainous Galka are called Roegadyn, and the ever-popular catgirl Mithra are known in Eorzea as Miqo'te.

The site also lists the three new city-state regions that make up the world of Eorzea - Ul'dah, Gridania, and Limsa Lominsa. Of the three, Limsa Lominsa and its seafaring people are the only one with a description; information on the other two is forthcoming.

And finally, Famitsu [http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famitsu.com%2Fgame%2Fcoming%2F1226443_1407.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8] sheds some light on the game's Job System, which was mentioned to be slightly different from other incarnations of the mechanic in previous Final Fantasy games. Four jobs have been revealed so far, with two sub-jobs available in each branch: Fighter (swordsman, archer), Sorcerer (enchanter, warlock), Crafter (blacksmith, cook) and Gatherer (gardener, fishermen).

There's some intriguing information here. For one, it's strange to see jobs like "Blacksmith" and "Gardener" alongside traditional MMORPG classes like a Fighter or Warlock. Are those combat classes? How exactly does a Gardener fight, with pruning shears?

While the art on the site is uniformly stunning (and hot damn do those screenshots look amazing), I do have to say that the names for these places are... really, really silly. I suppose that's what you get when you mix the absurdity of fantasy names with the absurdity of names from JRPGs. Or, alternatively, that's what you get when you come up with names by drawing Scrabble titles out of a bag.

How the hell are you supposed to pronounce "Miqo'te," anyway?

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220945])

Apr 28, 2008
I will be a gardener, and I will fight with my trusty rake.

Or grow man eating plants that can walk.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
The_Oracle said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I think it's pronounced 'Mii-koh-tey.' :p
It's pronounced 'Cat-per-son.'

Also, I think this MMO is different from other combat-based MMOs because it actually gives people the option of playing a non-combat character. I'm pretty sure a blacksmith and gardener don't fight, they just make items for other people or themselves and get money. I guess it's kind of like a sim in that way...they're bringing in a larger group than just the battlers.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Hm..I'm not sure what I'd do here.

Maybe archer =p

Mezzamine said:
I have never played a final fantasy game. Am I a bad person?
No, but you should go play one..

..right now..

*twitch*

Feb 18, 2009
Irridium said:
I will be a gardener, and I will fight with my trusty rake.

Or grow man eating plants that can walk.
Ah, I´m starting to see the advantages of being a gardener. A cook will naturally either dual wield a rolling pin and a frying pan or a giant two-handed cooking spoon. He can also throw red chili into your eyes.

And those names are just as silly as I expected them to be, so no surprise there. I can live with those.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Mezzamine said:
Yes, extremely. We will now pelt you with rocks and garbage. Kidding, but seriously, play one. Preferably, VI.

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
If it's still turned based and RANDOM battles every 2 steps I'm not interested.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
How exactly does a Gardener fight, with pruning shears?
Normally I'd expect Suiseiseki to post this but she's on a time out right now so I suppose I'll have to do it.

Those are giant pruning shears in her hand, if that wasn't clear.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Krakyn said:
The_Oracle said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I think it's pronounced 'Mii-koh-tey.' :p
It's pronounced 'Cat-per-son.'

Also, I think this MMO is different from other combat-based MMOs because it actually gives people the option of playing a non-combat character. I'm pretty sure a blacksmith and gardener don't fight, they just make items for other people or themselves and get money. I guess it's kind of like a sim in that way...they're bringing in a larger group than just the battlers.
Ultima Online had a system where you can have a completely non-combat character used for professions like Mining, Blacksmithing, Carpentry etc...

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Mezzamine said:
Yes, extremely. We will now pelt you with rocks and garbage. Kidding, but seriously, play one. Preferably, VI.
I thought 7 was supposed to be the godsend of the series?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Mezzamine said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Mezzamine said:
Many think so. But then again, everyone has an opinion. I think that FF7 was good, but not as great as people make it out to be. Try 6, and 7. You can't really go wrong with either.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Mezzamine said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Mezzamine said:
7 was the first one with advanced graphics, and it came out for a wider audience on the Playstation, that's why it gets most of the hype. I do love 7, but I love 6 too. Sabin is awesome.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
This is really just abyssmal.

Look, I'm sorry, I want the Final Fantasy series to get back to making RPGs along the lines of Final Fantasy VII and even Final Fantasy X (though looking back on it, I really can't stand it being marinated in JRPG bullshit). Now I can accept they'd think a little about branching out, experimenting, trying different things. But I thought MMOs are something they tried with Final Fantasy XI. Now I'll admit, it has its following, all MMOs have some people who keep coming back, but why in the name of fuck would they try it again? I can admit that they can do thing differently in XIV that they can't implement in XI without backlash, but still...y'know, looking at this very sentence, I think I just answered myself as to why they're doing it.

But still, I wouldn't mind them going back to console RPG-land. Yes, I think their glory days are far, far, far behind them, but who knows. They might be able to re-channel the FFVII lightning and have it strike again.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Krakyn said:
Mezzamine said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Mezzamine said:
7 was the first one with advanced graphics, and it came out for a wider audience on the Playstation, that's why it gets most of the hype. I do love 7, but I love 6 too. Sabin is awesome.
Eh, I kinda preferred IX to VI. Mostly, I just liked the story more, but it kinda helps that Vivi just so happens to be my favorite character in all of the Final Fantasy games EVAH! Sure, mages are kinda gimpy, but he gained my respect when he ended a boss fight with a single spell. (mind you, the spell just so happened to be the most badass version of Blizzard that was ever cast.)

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
grinklehi said:
Krakyn said:
Mezzamine said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Mezzamine said:
Eh, I kinda preferred IX to VI. Mostly, I just liked the story more, but it kinda helps that Vivi just so happens to be my favorite character in all of the Final Fantasy games EVAH! Sure, mages are kinda gimpy, but he gained my respect when he ended a bodd fight with a single spell. (mind you, the spell just so happened to be the most badass version of Blizzard that was ever cast.)
I loved IX as well. I'm actually a pretty big fan of all of them up to XI. Amarant was my favorite in IX, and Zell was my favorite in VIII. Honestly, I think I just really like monks.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
How exactly does a Gardener fight, with pruning shears?

Every MMO player will learn to fear a noob with a saucepan.