Some Russians Think Chelyabinsk Meteor Wasn't A Meteor

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Some Americans think that black people should be euthanized.
Some French people think that the Earth is flat.
Some Taiwanese people think that Harrison Ford is irradiating our testicles.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
poiumty said:
Sad to see that even in the era of information and education, people still turn to the supernatural when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation.
You don't know much about Eastern Europe, do you?

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
If You want a really far out explanation that makes no sense... maybe it's a frog temple, and Homestuck is Right.

After all, smaller Meteorites show up about every few months, larger ones like this show up every few years.

This is an extremely stupid hypothesis, and unlikely to be true, but I really hope the Russians discover a frog temple in that region anyways and send us the codes up there so we can go all Heroes and stuff.

Heh, if this unlikely event does come to pass, I get the feeling everyone will be aiming for a 144 player session or something.

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
TheSYLOH said:
Sigh....
Why would the US government want a meteor launcher when they got nuclear ballistic missiles.
Also, if the US gov up and decided to nuke Russia for no reason, Why pick the middle of fucking nowhere, Siberia.
Because a launch from the surface can be detected. Finding a hidden mechanism to launch stuff amid space-deris is harder.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Clearly, it was the Blisk and Crypto-138 handled them already, so there is no cause for alarm.

...except, you know, for the sake of our brainstems.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Every time something interesting and unusual happens, there is a conspiracy. Every once in a while the conspiracy turns out to be true, but this is not one of those times.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
poiumty said:
Thyunda said:
poiumty said:
Sad to see that even in the era of information and education, people still turn to the supernatural when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation.
You don't know much about Eastern Europe, do you?
Please, tell me about Eastern Europe.
In the past sixty years, while America was screaming 'Communist' as the source of all the world's problems, Eastern European governments were acting very shady indeed. Look at your average American "wide awake in a world that sleeps" teen and everything he says the US government secretly does, these European governments actually did. A lot of people in Russia today will still treat their government like it's the past government, and have literally zero reason to buy even the most reasonable reaction.

This wasn't "That's not a UFO, it's a weather balloon."
It was "That wasn't an explosion. It was a thunderstorm."

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
A tragedy with a high degree of randomness which the victims cannot find a way to attach significance to ends up having wild stories used to explain it in a meaningful way? Yeah, that is what everyone in the world does. Imagining it is a weapons test or a UFO or a divine sign is a lot less scary then imagining a vast and mostly empty and aimless universe that sometimes just drops rocks on things with no concern for if the rock is hitting intelligent lifeforms, because that sort of thing happens is a chaotic and unfeeling universe in which you are an insignificant speck.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
poiumty said:
Thyunda said:
In the past sixty years, while America was screaming 'Communist' as the source of all the world's problems, Eastern European governments were acting very shady indeed. Look at your average American "wide awake in a world that sleeps" teen and everything he says the US government secretly does, these European governments actually did. A lot of people in Russia today will still treat their government like it's the past government, and have literally zero reason to buy even the most reasonable reaction.

This wasn't "That's not a UFO, it's a weather balloon."
It was "That wasn't an explosion. It was a thunderstorm."
Except it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be, I'm a resident of Eastern Europe, and it's STILL sad that in the information age, people still resort to superstition when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

To be fair I'm not a resident of Russia but I'm pretty sure "my government did bad things in the past" isn't a good reason to justify thinking the meteor was an UFO or a message from God.
I imagine the sentiment is similar to if American fighter jets started bombing the Highlands and said that there were WMDs there. Suddenly God IS a more likely answer.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I bet you if the meteor landed in some place like Canada or England there would 500% less conspiracy theories.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
In soviet Russia... a series of controlled information campaigns causes people to become so paranoid and jaded that they will believe in anything that's not the official story no matter how plausible that story seems.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The Rogue Wolf said:
As much as I want to laugh at "those crazy Ruskies", I remember the video I once saw of the American woman who believed that the government put something in tap water to create rainbows when it came out of a sprinkler.
Ah, yes, Dboots. I love that crazy *****.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
The whole "meteorite striking Russia" thing has me reminded of the plot of the Resistance games, which begin with the Tunguska meteor event in 1907 in Russia spreading a deadly virus which converts humans into aliens. Time to grab my Carbine.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Biodeamon said:
I bet you if the meteor landed in some place like Canada or England there would 500% less conspiracy theories.
True, but at the same time neither have been modern super powers that have been capable of the large scale insanity of the USA or Russia when they put their minds to it. This isn't to say they don't have their moments, but not quite the same way.

To put things into perspective there is a "real conspiricy theory" about the US goverment "Majestic 12" project, which was a program to use high end brainwashing and deprogramming techniques to plant sleeper agents in other nations which could later be activated with a signal and would make a suicide run on a pre-programmed target like a goverment facility, politician, etc... before killing themselves. All of which are fully in the grasp of high end psychological and chemical techniques if your unethical enough. The problem with the program is of course getting people for long enough to do this, creating the cover identities, and of course the simple fact that things change with time, your sleeper agent is pointless if a target relocates, or the guy you program him to kill winds up out of power, to be replaced by another enemy. There are a lot of practical concerns here.

This of course lead to theories about what would happen if the goverment used this on a more domestic level, to influance policies, create criminal acts that removed people it found inconveinent, etc... Most recently you have some theorizing that The White House might be using similar techniques to cause shootings to fuel anti-gun efforts, especially given the tendency towards self-pwnage of the people responsible for these sprees, and general lack of reporting on backstory or motivation outside of a very general sense.

Now it's not LIKELY, but a conspiricy theory like that comes about in the US because we really did screw around with ideas like that, and what's more it could actually happen in theory. With Canada or the UK it's not likely, because there is no indication the goverment was ever involved in anything like that. If they were it was kept quiet enough to not be excposed and thus doesn't fuel the public imagination the same way.

In a more relevent comparison, I pointed out in a previous post here, that during The Cold War, there were apparently programs, at least at a hypothetical level, about basically dropping meteor-like rocks and objects on the planet as an alternative to nukes. The very discussion raises questions when something like this happens in one of the countries that was known to have been hosting it.

If the UK, Canada, or other countries ever become more powerful again in the current era and start operating on the same level, conspiricy theories will also rise in proportion to it. The US and USSR used to be involved in this kind of crap and indeed we occasionally saw things "leaked" with an eye to freaking the other side out, etc... It was all part of the game. Canada for example has never to my knowlege been even remotely accused or suspected of developing super science weapons with an idea towards global military assetiveness... who why would Canadians even suspect something their goverment did might have slipped? :)