Somebody called me a Douche

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
CrysisMcGee said:
Meet the man who was raised on PC games, and considers himself a hardcore gamer. In the sense that I love playing games, and speaks full sentences when talking into a mike. Please note that there are several types of us, and most are pleasent, well groomed, and will help newbies.

It seems the hatred for these terms does not come from the games themselves, but the industry surrounding them. In this case, I do agree that they can be obscured and overused.
Please note, I wasn't attempting to pigeon hole you into the stereotype I mentioned. I'm simply stating that the term's connotations are so negative that the term itself has become an extremely negative stigma. I don't hate the 'hardcore' term so much as I hate the use of 'casual' and the implication that 'casual' gamers aren't 'real gamers'[footnote]Again, not saying this is you.[/footnote].

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I hate when people say Gears of War or Call of Duty are hardcore games, then condemn people for playing Halo because its "Mainstream".

It makes my brain hurt.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Now, I didn't call you a douche, I made said that your black and white usage of the terms made it seem so. It might have been a little harsh, and I apologize if you were offended, but the point of what I said on your earlier thread was that using the terms "casual" and "hardcore" was ineffective for the same reason that a definitive, numbered score was: It gives little to no room for overlap.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
They don't really have meaning. Pokemon can be very time consuming and have crushing depth to gameplay, yet many people would call it casual dispite it's multiplayer needing more skill than say COD4's multiplayer. Wouldn't that mean you need to call COD4 casual as it is not as "hardcore" as Pokemon, a game most others define as 100% casual?
Logicly you would, but I doubt you many people would agree.

Start calling games "good" and "evil" based on paper thin reasoning and people would call you crazy, so why are equaly arbitrary and undefined terms ok?

Furthermore if a game is more hardcore than another how do you express this? As a percentage, or fraction, or letter?

lockeslylcrit

Dec 28, 2008
Calling someone a douche or a douchebag is an ineffective insult. It implies the person you are insulting actually sees some vagina. You can use that as a retort!

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Shadow Law said:
My brain is hurting trying to understand the connection between the title of the thread and the subject of the thread. ?:{
As does mine.

I... I don't think there is one... or is there?

*head explodes*

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
Shadow Law said:
My brain is hurting trying to understand the connection between the title of the thread and the subject of the thread. ?:{
this, also, I LOVE your avatar, I got it straight away :p

But yeah, I'm not really sure what this is about. Hardcore games vs casual games??? I'll use WoW as an exampled, in the vanilla years, it was a hardcore game. You needed to play a lot to get places. Blizzard gradually gradually gradually made it more casual and more casual until today, when you can either play it hardcore or casual.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Well i cant refute whether or not you are a douche...but games are games. They might not involve the same amount of dedication but its still a program played via a computer/console and therefore a video game.
Have you ever played Bejewled?
"not involve the same amount of dedication" my absurdly perfect ass.
CrysisMcGee said:
So we are back to generalizing games now, after they sought to distinguish them from one another? Is Wii bowling the same as Gears of War?
No.
One is cool.
The other is Gears of War.
(haw haw haw)

Anyway, as long as it's not a derisive "suck on that, casual gamer scum," I don't see the problem in differentiating between (what you think are) casual and hardcore games.
Although I'm not sure how perfectly absurd your ass is, I don't actually think bejewlled is quite easy and doesn't require much dedication.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
For those interested, this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.148811?page=1] is the thread the TC is talking about.

Shadow Law said:
It's very simple. A small child yelling he/she got hurt to get attention.(thread title) Then with the attention some poor arguments were presented that make my brain bleed trying to understand.(but that might be because I haven't slept in over a day)

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
Now, I didn't call you a douche, I made said that your black and white usage of the terms made it seem so. It might have been a little harsh, and I apologize if you were offended, but the point of what I said on your earlier thread was that using the terms "casual" and "hardcore" was ineffective for the same reason that a definitive, numbered score was: It gives little to no room for overlap.
Indeed. The terms can become obscure and overused. I'd like them changed to Games for your mom, and games for your teenager.

As for the review score, it is up to the reviewer.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
You don't call Chick Flick's 'casual films' and Action Movies such as Indiana Jones 'hardcore' so why would you make the same distinction with games?

The are both aimed at different audiences, and both hope to achieve different reactions out of those audiences. The former is generally lighter, and aimed at women like casual games are frequently aimed at, and the latter is usually aimed at adolescent to young adult males.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Knight Templar said:
They don't really have meaning. Pokemon can be very time consuming and have crushing depth to gameplay, yet many people would call it casual dispite it's multiplayer needing more skill than say COD4's multiplayer. Wouldn't that mean you need to call COD4 casual as it is not as "hardcore" as Pokemon, a game most others define as 100% casual?
Logicly you would, but I doubt you many people would agree.

Start calling games "good" and "evil" based on paper thin reasoning and people would call you crazy, so why are equaly arbitrary and undefined terms ok?

Furthermore if a game is more hardcore than another how do you express this? As a percentage, or fraction, or letter?
It seems the definations have become obscured and overused. Pokemon could be considered both, and that is where the confusion comes in. It's not the games themselves that people hate, its the stigma surrounding the words. I think we should change them into games for your mom, and games for your teenager.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Maybe your just a douche and when you said it, you sounded douchey or uptight.
I called Bioshock A casual game disguised as a hardcore game. Makes sense to me, but others did not like it. I should have said it has elements of both, and will please many people.

Maybe I should have compared it to pokemon? that is pretty much the same. Elements of hardcore and casual. Hell, I've play pokemon.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
How about we don't decide what to play based on some profile that a boring businessman has cooked up in a spreadsheet.

I can play an immature game for kids like Gears of War if I want. Nothing is stopping me and it can be sort of enjoyable even if it is a bit embarrassing.