Someone recommend me a good anime

A1

Jul 9, 2009
You're looking for an anime title with a more mature take on violence? That would actually seem to cover quite a large number of titles.

But I suppose Black Lagoon would be a good choice. The show's got style and seems to have a somewhat realistic portrayal of the world's criminal underworld.

And personally I am a big fan of the newest Gundam series, Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It has a very interesting story with interesting and likable characters. And of course there is also plenty of good action.

Although I feel that I really must warn you about Texhnolyze. I don't think it's a bad series but it's definitely not for everyone. It can get pretty dark at times and the ending in particular is extremely psychologically intense, especially the first time you see it.

Epilepsy

Sep 16, 2010
Saltyk said:
Code Geass. Especially if you like Deathnote. It's like Deatnote with a healthy dose of Gundam thrown in.

I trust that you have seen Fullmetal Alchemist and Fully Cooly, right?
Ninja'd :(

Also if you love violence + complex storylines, try Darker than Black.

Also "Fooly Cooly" in stores will be called FLCL (just don't pronounce it like that)

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
dashiz94 said:
Atticus89 said:
Check out an anime convention. If 67% of the goers look the same, don't watch that show.
True, but a lot of people dress up as Deathnote characters and that's actually a good show.
Ah... that is a good point.

That one totally slipped my mind.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Elfen Lied. This anime is great, tho it is very graphic, both in terms of violence, and of nudity (watch the first 7 minutes of episode one, and you will know what I mean)

A1

Jul 9, 2009
LawlessSquirrel said:
Perhaps Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Watch the first arc (4 eps) before judging it.
I think Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is indeed a formidable title in it's own right. But I think it's also safe to say that like Texhnolyze it's not for everyone. It can get very dark at times. I thought I had gotten used to intense violence. But there were some parts of this series that even I found disturbing.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
JemothSkarii said:
Gurren Lagaan is good if you like over the top action and comedy, and the art style is interesting
If you have any trace of testosterone in your body, Gurren Lagann will pump it up to the max. I can't describe in words how great it is. Ok, maybe I'm a little obsessed, but I adore that show.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Gudrests said:
Gurren Laggen....ive said this 100 times....so awesome it was amazing
Season 1 of Gurren Laggen was absolutely amazing awesome. but season 2, however, the deeper into the season it got, the stupider it got (I don't think the stupidness started until around the time they got into space...) I really don't like the whole <link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmpathicWeapon>Empathic Weapon trope, with the gurren lagann being powered by their 'fighting spirit' so greatly. i mean, they did the whole Empathic Weapon trope well in season one, but it just got way to out of hand in season 2

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
tthor said:
Gudrests said:
Season 1 of Gurren Laggen was absolutely amazing awesome. but season 2, however, the deeper into the season it got, the stupider it got (I don't think the stupidness started until around the time they got into space...) I really don't like the whole <link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmpathicWeapon>Empathic Weapon trope
yeahh the space part was like...wait what...but admit it...it was still quite good lol

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Gudrests said:
tthor said:
Gudrests said:
Season 1 of Gurren Laggen was absolutely amazing awesome. but season 2, however, the deeper into the season it got, the stupider it got (I don't think the stupidness started until around the time they got into space...) I really don't like the whole <link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmpathicWeapon>Empathic Weapon trope
yeahh the space part was like...wait what...but admit it...it was still quite good lol
lol despite the space part (which was like half of season 2,) the show was awesome

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Fullmetal Alchemist (either one)
Death Note
Samurai Champloo for hilarity
Watch some Miyazaki if you want movies.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Gudrests said:
tthor said:
Gudrests said:

When I first started watching Gurren Lagann I didn't really expect much from it. But ultimately I found it to be surprisingly creative, interesting, and in the end quite enjoyable. And I guess it also has a pretty good soundtrack.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Oh. I almost forgot.

I also recommend Karas. The visuals in this title are utterly spectacular. The artistic design is appealing and the animation is top notch. It also has some of the best animated fight choreography I've ever seen. The music is also awesome. But I guess you don't have to take my word for it. Here's a little taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZ9guPHqS4

This youtube video isn't of the best possible quality but I think you'll get the point.

EDIT: Sorry. It looks like I posted the first link a bit too hastily. Here's what is essentially a higher quality version of the same video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGNyQDMgWMg

EBonhawk09

Nov 1, 2010
The two anime shows I absolutely love are; Death Note, and Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
MetaManProductions said:
Anything by Satoshi Kon. The man is a master mind.
True. But all the same I think it's also a good idea to psychologically brace oneself for that fake rape scene in Perfect Blue. Even though the character was only pretending to get raped it was still an unpleasant thing to witness. Or at least it was for me.

Hijinx

Dec 3, 2010
Wow, I just realised how out-of-touch I am with anime. I've been reading way too much manga recently, so maybe I should watch some of these. Thanks for making a topic for more adult anime!

Anyway, if you're into unusual "cult" anime, you should try Cromartie High School. It might not take your fancy, but I've found that it's just so crazy it's awesome. And now there's a live-action movie... I really didn't expect that!

I've seen a few episodes of Licensed by Royalty and it looks pretty good - lots of ass kicking in it, too.

Excel Saga has a lot of violence in it, especially in the last few episodes - best to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, though. (Unless you like being screamed at, of course)

And I can't remember the rest, other than girly ones and those mentioned in the other posts.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Dimwit said:
Seconding Fullmetal Alchemist. Watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood after the original Fullmetal Alchemist.

Also, Code Geass is quite good, if you have a small interest in mecha
Thirding Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (assuming that thirding is an actual word of course).

Great stories. Great characters. Great writing. Great action. These titles are just plain great. And I guess it is preferable to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood after the first series.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Just got into Air Gear. 25 episodes and the manga continues it... Damn is that good.