Something Weird I've Noticed Since the Xbone Reveal

MrMrAwesom

Mar 19, 2011
Microsoft? Pay people? Sheeeeeeeeit, they're all about nickel & diming anywhere they can. They probably said, "Your ass is fired unless you all make new accounts and say how amazing this is going to be."

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I'm sure there are people who actually like it. I don't even mind that it's an entertainment system- my TV doesn't play TV channels, I can only use it for my PS3 and DVDs. I have to use the internet to catch up TV, and I'd prefer to do it on my actual TV. The only two concerns I had were the emphasis on American Football- I'm not American and don't care for sports anyway, and the preowned shenanigans. That's just a dealbreaker for me.
LetalisK said:
Flunk said:
-The hardware specs are WORSE than the PS4
I didn't think Microsoft or PS4 had released tech specs for their consoles. o_O
I'm pretty sure Sony did, that was the boring part of the reveal.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
You can't be serious. Microsoft would not pay random people to defend the Xbone on forums.
What makes you say that? I mean; I don't think that's the case here, but you need to back that up with something. It is a thing that some companies do.
I have no proof. I just think there are plenty of people they don't have to pay who will do the same thing, and from the nature of some of the responses I wouldn't be paying them for what arguments they put forth. You're right though, completely baseless, maybe they do pay random people. In which case they're not doing a very good job of it.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Ickorus said:
I've noticed something else, I've noticed an increase in people asking for help to build gaming PCs.

I might just be making connections where there are none to be made, anyone else noticed it or am I just crazy?
I've noticed that as well. There's not very many of them, but I've never noticed a single one before now, so they might be increasing.

OP: As long as they're not trolling, or insulting other users, then I'll just ignore them. If they are trolling or flaming then I'll report them. Business as usual basically.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Saxnot said:
CriesFirstToWin said:
I agree you that his methods left much to be desired, but I agree with him that its a little early to be getting out the coffin nails on the XBone.

Just out of curiosity, why do you care? Not trying to be cynical here, honest question. i can understand wanting to complain about something, but why do you feel you should defend the Xbox from some random persons complaints?
I wonder if people do this with other things outside the entertainment they consume.

"Ah, man, I have this headache, and the Tylenol I took didn't really do anything to get rid of it."

"IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT STOP TAKING IT THEN!"

"Uh, what--?"

"You're just an irrational Tylenol hater! They don't make their products specifically for you, you entitled whiner!"

No, but, seriously, I ask you, how does it affect you at all if I don't like a particular console? My opinion is not doing anything at all to prevent you from purchasing the console you want and enjoying it. I'm not bothered at all by anyone who likes the Xbone. Why are you bothered by people not liking it? Like, do you take it that personally that people have different opinions than you do?

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
triggrhappy94 said:
Can you tell if the accounts have been made recently? And do their names sound fake--like something generic then some numbers?

I know there's a lot of people who lurk on this site, so a console announcement might just be bring people out who normally just sit on the sidelines.
The join date is on the left under the avatar and post counts; for example, you joined 24 April 2010.

OT: I haven't been looking at anyone's credentials really. I haven't even looked at too many xBone threads after the first day, actually.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I have no proof. I just think there are plenty of people they don't have to pay who will do the same thing.
That's a good point though. As silly as Microsoft is, they probably have faith that their supporters will do their part vocally.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
You're right though, completely baseless, maybe they do pay random people. In which case they're not doing a very good job of it.
Oh god, why is this so funny to me? Like imagining it.

"I'll pay you ten dollars an hour to go online and defend the Xbox One."
"Ok."
5 hours later
"What the fuck have you been doing? All your defenses have just been 'Microsoft can do no wrong' and ad hominem attacks against your opponents."
"Well yeah....It's the Xbox One, it's not an easy job sir."

Finebrew

Apr 13, 2009
Honestly both PS4 and Xbone are underwhelming at this point. I am waiting for E3 when they actually talk about the games to form much of an opinion.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Desert Punk said:
There are rampant fanboys abound defending the Wii U.. "No really guis, it counts as a next gen system!" so is it REALLY that much of a surprise that there are Xbone fanboys willing to defend their console design of choice?
Ugh, Jeffers would normally have been here by now to say this, but a generation is a measure and separator of time windows that has nothing to do with processing power. Using that logic, the PS2 was a last-gen console compared to the original Xbox and even the Gamecube, by a significant margin. The Wii was a seventh generation console competing with the PS360, the Wii U is the first entrant in the new window that is the eighth generation. That's just how it is.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
CriesFirstToWin said:
GundamSentinel said:
I've got to wonder how much of it was "twisting" and how much was just idiocy, left/hand right hand stuff? And yea, I'm holding out for E3. I have to admit I'm very curious to see what Rare franchise is being ressurected.
I doubt very much that anything what they showed was idiocy. This new console has been in the pipes for a very long time. I don't think for a second they didn't know exactly in which direction they wanted to take it and what services and restrictions they wanted to implement. This was just Microsoft being dodgy because they anticipated critique and it blew up in their faces. Serves them right.

This is a very big project for Microsoft and I don't think they would let anything depend on chance. Where their decisions based on idiocy? That might very well have been the case.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Flunk said:
-They're marketing it as a device that does everything... even games. To gamers that's insulting.
What? Why? This is the one complaint that keeps leaving me dumbfounded. I get peoples issues with the online verification and the way the used games seems to be projected, and I even kind of get the backwards compatibility issues (The more reasoned ones at least, about the likelihood of servers being taken down and games going dead. The whole 'There isnt enough space for my consoles!' never seemed a big deal in the many previous generations...)

Anyway I derailed myself. I dont get the hostility towards its promotion as a media device. I mean they xbox360 already was, all they're doing is shining a light on it a bit more. It isnt losing functionality by being a media device. And if you take away functionality issues, and refer to that insulting comment....well it just seems to imply gamers are upset its too mainstream? Really?

I just...I dont even know how to respond to that. Im someone who flat out doesnt have my TV hooked up to any form of reception, and plays an unhealthy amount of games on a daily basis, but I dont get why this extremely negative response exists. If it were more focused on the tech itself (Like, say, being useless to anyone outside of the USA) I would get that, but lots of the panning seems to come down to 'Ew, TV and sports.'

I dont know. Back to sitting on the fence and seeing how the features actually play out in the sold product for few months before making a decision, for me.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
The Grim Ace said:
With the Xbox One reveal this week, I've been monitoring more than a few threads on it since Microsoft's many blunders with their new machine has been entertaining like a train wreck. While going through the forums I can't help but notice an uptick in relatively new posters who comment almost exclusively in defense of the Xbox One. Now, of course, it could just be that there is an amount of people who are so impressed with this upcoming piece of hardware that they had to make accounts on the Escapist and get defending or people are getting paid to defend it.

Anyone else noticing this or am I just misinterpreting?

[small]I wouldn't put it past me, I just don't see the appeal to that thing other than what games it will probably have as exclusives...[/small]
I was just thinking the same thing! There was some low count poster in another thread here on the Escapist that had some low count new poster defending the xbone and also the same thing on Overclock.net. Could just be coincidence but it would be interesting to know. I wouldn't put it past them.

Also, the PS4 may have a similar used games block/fee system. Ben Kuchera at PAR pressed on an exact phrasing and didn't get one back during the PS4 reveal. Dark times ahead.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Honestly, I'd say its just Xbox fanboys, I mean most that post on here are reasonable, but brand loyalty is so overpowering to someone people, that criticising the Xbone and praising/buying a PS4 would be like admitting defeating or something.

80sboy

May 23, 2013
The Grim Ace said:
While going through the forums I can't help but notice an uptick in relatively new posters who comment almost exclusively in defense of the Xbox One.
There's always going to be some that'll rush to the defense of something because no one else is. Mostly, not because they like what they're seeing, but because they feel like someone has to have a counter argument.

People like to feel special, and sometime that means supporting something you don't genuinely like, but by doing so, you're going against the popular opinion.

The hipster culture thrives on this.

I mean... you think the Xbone sucks? Well, so does everyone else... could you be anymore of a tool?

lol

:p

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
Oh god, why is this so funny to me? Like imagining it.

"I'll pay you ten dollars an hour to go online and defend the Xbox One."
"Ok."
5 hours later
"What the fuck have you been doing? All your defenses have just been 'Microsoft can do no wrong' and ad hominem attacks against your opponents."
"Well yeah....It's the Xbox One, it's not an easy job sir."
"I know you're paying me and all, but I have standards. I can't just lie to people, and I don't have much else to work with."

And true enough, if anything is going to get the Xbox through this generation it'll be a playerbase eager to justify their own purchase.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Aatolviina said:
Not much I can really add because I haven't seen what you've been seeing, but...
"...I just don't see the appeal to that thing other than what game it will probably have as exclusives..."

This. This right here. I am not wasting my money on a junk console running a watered down Windows 8 with a few new Call of Duty games. I am more content with my Xbox360.

Also, it has an ugly design and you HAVE to have a Kinect to play it. How terrible.
Amen to that, I remember that when I chose the X360 over PS3 it was because (at the time) it had been revealed that Bioshock was going to be a MS exclusive, as well as Gears of War and Mass Effect. Gears, in my opinion has finished its saga, the latest game didn't pique my interest at all... Eventually I DID buy a PS3, but that was because it had Blu-Ray and I'd rather buy that than solely a Blu-Ray system (the price was more or less the same here - Brazil) plus it had MGS4 and Uncharted, to this day I have only a handful of PS3 games and TONS of X360, PS3 never bred any exclusives that caught my attention (other than the aforementioned).
This time, the coin seems to have flipped, if only for a few games, again MGS (though it might be available for MS, the main MGS titles are usually exclusives...) and my all-time favorite Witcher, it seems that as far as consoles go, Witcher 3 is being ported only for PS4; other than that, for some reason I can't really tell, Sony seemed to be more convincing with their new console than Xbox :( The game I wasn't the most will be available for both though: Watch Dogs.
That is not to say that, along the way, I might not buy a Xbox One, I'll surely do so if the right games or features present themselves. So far I want Santa Claus to give me a PS4 and a Google Glass hahahahaha

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Delta342 said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
I will await the massive amount of insults I'm probably about to get (also note my account is not new). I'm looking forward to seeing the games being shown off for the xb1 at E3 (You know the games expo in a couple of weeks) Microsoft definitely should have given a bit more away about games I will admit but for the most part I'm fine with stuff.

We don't actually know all the hardware specs for either quite yet (from what I've learned we're not sure specifically what type of RAM each is sporting other than rumour and since GDDR is good for some things while regular DDR is better for others we shall have to wait and see!) Microsoft have always gone for the slightly cheaper alternative anyway and I've always been happy with the 360 graphics.

The internet connection thing does sound pretty silly but for me personally I'm usually connected - I realise this could be a pain for a lot of people though - it's too early to expect everyone to have perfect and disposable internet!

The new kinect which is bundled with all consoles I imagine can be turned to the wall, disabled in menus (I would assume), from the looks this one might actually not be half bad.. In that you don't have to flail at it for five minutes before it has a hissy fit and freezes everything..

The old games thing could prove slightly annoying.. I usually trade with friends since I resent trading in a newish game for £10 credit in a store that then resell it at £35.. That just seems like daylight robbery to me! But yeah, I guess we shall have to see what they do in terms of "lending games to friends" it'd be lovely to see a kindle type lending system but meh. I know that it's said that you can play a game at a friend's if you're both signed in or something similar but I'm not too sure on that..

Why is it insulting? The 360 is one of the most popular streaming devices on the market. We all know how microsoft like to get their greedy fingers into every possible market they can ;) Lots of people game, then stick on netflix when they go to bed *shrugs*.

I kind of like the more grown up design (reminds me of hifi amps etc) but meh it's all aesthetics. I'm pleased that they've finally taken the plunge into blu ray territory (good news for me anyway).

All in all, I want to see what they pull off at E3 really!

Maximum Bert said:
I guess I'm an idiot =)
Good sir, although I disagree with you when it comes to the Xbone (oh God, pepole are going to call it that for all eternity), you have nothing to fear. Your account is old as hell, if I'm not mistaken.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
It's not implausible that M$ employees would be on forums defending the Xbox and on the other hand, it's not implausible that $ony employees are on forums trashing the Xbox as well.