Song Covers you prefer to the original

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
this isnt my name said:
I agree with the person who said KSE Holy diver, I dont liek Dio's version...
Blasphemy! Dio rocks!

To be fair though... Dio's vocals are so much better, but Killswitch probably has a better overall sound.

wastedyouth89

Mar 9, 2009
Homegrown - Barbie Girl
Dead Kennedys - Rawhide
Twilight Guardians - La Isla Bonita
Mindless Self Indulgence - Tom Sawyer
Butthole Surfers - Underdog

If I had my original list I'd have hundreds. But that's the start of it.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
"All Along the Watchtower" by Jimmy Hendrix. "Hurt" is cool, but since the original was actually good, I've gotta give the nod to "Watchtower", of which the original was... um... not.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
PiercisionBass said:
BonsaiK said:
Anything by Bob Dylan. That's why his songs are covered so much - no matter how bad a job you do, it's always going to sound like gold compared to the original.
I disagree--Guns 'n Roses' cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" hurts my ears, primarily because of Axl Rose's nasal whine.
I agree that's a pretty shitful version, but at least Axl Rose can do an annoying unpleasant nasal whine with a reasonable degree of pitch accuracy. Dylan doesn't even have that marginal asset going for him.

LokiSuaveHP

Feb 21, 2010
Video Killed the Radio Star by Presidents of the United States of America
Killing Me Softly with His Song by Fugees

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lekonua said:
Weird Al's Bohemian Polka.
Give this man a medal, he turned 'CandyShop' into a hilarious song.

When people run in circles it's a very, very mad world.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I don't know if it counts, since it's an Faroeish folk song.

PiercisionBass

Apr 1, 2010
BonsaiK said:
PiercisionBass said:
BonsaiK said:
Anything by Bob Dylan. That's why his songs are covered so much - no matter how bad a job you do, it's always going to sound like gold compared to the original.
I disagree--Guns 'n Roses' cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" hurts my ears, primarily because of Axl Rose's nasal whine.
I agree that's a pretty shitful version, but at least Axl Rose can do an annoying unpleasant nasal whine with a reasonable degree of pitch accuracy. Dylan doesn't even have that marginal asset going for him.
Agreed.
Dylan's a writer, not a vocalist--and it shows.

black_omega2

Jun 2, 2009
Considering I love Nightcore which is a genre of techno that is basically a speedy-mix of a song, I prefer a lot of those songs over the original.

CrimsonRegret

Aug 27, 2009
Cake's cover of, "I will survive." And I noticed a lot of NIN to Cash comments, I preferred Cash's cover, but after getting into NIN this summer I find both songs are really incomparable

CrimsonRegret

Aug 27, 2009
Nouw said:
Lekonua said:
Weird Al's Bohemian Polka.
Give this man a medal, he turned 'CandyShop' into a hilarious song.

When people run in circles it's a very, very mad world.
Yeah I'd have to say that's another instance where I like both songs. But in the end I like the Gary Jules cover a lot more. Thank you Donnie Darko