Sonic Boom, Sega's Upcoming Wii U/3DS Sonic Title, Revealed

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Game looks interesting, but I'm not too keen on the redesign of Knuckles. He looks like he's been hitting the steroids a little too hard. Also I HATE dubstep.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
And here I thought Bayonetta had disproportionately long legs.
Not that I dislike the designs. I just don't like them. The legs make it seem.... off. Just not quite right.

However, given this is the remnant of the guys who were responsible for some of the best PS2 games out there, I really really hope this turns out well and sells accordingly. I might even pick it up, despite having not purchased a sonic game since adventure 2.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
They gave them guns and swords, I'm not even gonna bat an eye at steroids and scarves.
Maybe they should put actual muscle definition on knuckles.
Noodle ass arms that are thick just look weird.
I mean they slap boobs on their bats and shit so who even cares.

As for the game, I expect nothing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yopaz said:
Holy crap... trying too hard anyone? Both the music and the "badass" poses makes me facepalm.

Oh well, one thing is for sure. Sonic games are trying to make something new at least. It's refreshing to see that at least. Even though Knuckles looks bloody awful. However I have a feeling this game won't increase the sales for the Wii U...
Wasn't that always what Sonic was about though? Trying to be hip and cool and filled with attitude?

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
"Honestly, Sonic is kind of at the point where there have been so many terrible games in the franchise, that anything that isn't complete rubbish would impress me."

You mean to say, there's been 4 rubbish sonic games: Sonic 06, Sonic Heroes, Sonic and the Black Knight and Shadow the Hedgehog. Because from what I remember, call me crazy, Sonic Unleashed was one half of a good sonic game (the runny bits), Sonic Colors was great, Sonic Generations was damn near perfect and Sonic Lost World was fantastic. Not to mention every sonic that came out on the DS and GBA that were all fantastic! And the lesser talked about Sonic 4.

It's so common and easy for a new Sonic game to come out and everyone starts shouting "SONIC HAS NEVER BEEN GOOD!! HE SHOULD JUST DIE ALREADY!!! LOLOLOLOLOLO!!11"
But gamers need to realize that Sega finally got a handle on Sonic again. And with the the old Naughty Dog team on board, there's no reason this game shouldn't be great.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Redesigns make me sad.

I'm by no means a massive fan of the series, but it feels like something went horribly wrong.

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
Found this post on tumblr, kinda sums up my thoughts after thinking about it for a while:

http://superpsyguy.tumblr.com/post/75922373244/krudman-the-new-sonic-designs-are-so-bad-they

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
4 player coop? guess their trying to mimic the success of the coop ratchet and clank game(sarcasm).

I don't see this working maybe for a new generation but most of the old guard wont be happy well at least it doesn't have that chris kid from sonic x.

do me a favor lose the scarf about half of the bandages and shorten the arms and legs a bit.

I'm willing to give it a chance but we will see.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Not sure I dig it.
I'm among those who believe that the Sonic redesign first seen back in Sonic Adventure (long legs, green eyes, more stylish spikes) is one of the best things to have ever happened to the Sonic franchise (resulting games not included)
But this just seems like them turning sonic into every other platformer character. The question, I suppose, is whether the previous Sonic character aesthetic was worth maintaining over this.
I'll wait to play it, but for now it looks too much like every other family friendly run-aroundy platformy affair.
I think the new character design sensibilities suit Amy the best, however.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I'm actually really liking the new art style! Though heh the bandages and scarf are a little silly and just seem like desperate attempt to bring some edge to the characters but eh I can look past it. I must say though, I really like Amy's redesign.

And I have to say based on these early gameplay snippets which no one should ever use to form an opinion on, this game looks like it might be really good.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
While I could totally go for the Ratchet and Clank style environments and color scheme, the character models look terrible. Even with the same basic design, they could still add in some details (or clothing) that makes some use of their stretched out bodies.

Maybe I should just forget the last 15+ years of Sonic games and go play Sonic 3 on my Genesis controller with the on-board emulator.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Shuu said:
Not sure I dig it.
I'm among those who believe that the Sonic redesign first seen back in Sonic Adventure (long legs, green eyes, more stylish spikes) is one of the best things to have ever happened to the Sonic franchise (resulting games not included)
But this just seems like them turning sonic into every other platformer character. The question, I suppose, is whether the previous Sonic character aesthetic was worth maintaining over this.
I'll wait to play it, but for now it looks too much like every other family friendly run-aroundy platformy affair.
I think the new character design sensibilities suit Amy the best, however.
What was it about games like Sonic Unleashed, Colors, Generations and Lost World that made them not "family friendly run-aroundy platformy affairs"? That's exactly what Sonic is and was intended to be from his very creation. If he starts to look generic to you that's probably because Sonic was a staple character for family friendly platformers, and he set many precedents when it came to character design for that sort of character.

It may take me a little bit to get used to Knuckles, but the more I look at it the more I don't mind it. The other characters I believe had very positive character design changes and I look forward to seeing where they go from here. This seems like a nice breath of fresh air from a new development team, and that might have been exactly what Sonic needed. There's also the statement by Sega saying that this was going to be it's own Canon for western developers to work on while Sonic Team focus on their already established Canon if that makes anyone feel better about the redesigns.

This game looks like a new and improved Sonic Heroes to me with more coop and less floatiness. And that idea excites me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
King Whurdler said:
*thinks about it*

Nope, 'Sonic '06' is still worse.
XD I wouldn't exactly count myself as a fan either. The current design looks a little odd to me, but I keep having "eh. Could be worse" echo through my head.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like the new designs. The only one I'm not a fan of is Robotnik's, but that's because his last design was pretty much perfect and needed no improvement. Amy and Tails are pretty much fully improved. Sonic didn't really improve, but he didn't get worse. I will admit I'm not a fan of Knuckles' new design... but I'm not against it if they can make it work. I just hope the gameplay is fun and they don't rush it out the door as a half-baked idea.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
really? people care this much about it? I don't see that big of a difference and it's nice that the characters have actually different looks instead of being palate swaps with different heads. but seriously? I thought sonic had been put to bed already I don't get the outrage. honestly even if you are a huge fan of classic sonic let them try something new it's not like you're going to get the old sonic anytime soon.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
DuelLadyS said:
McFazzer said:
Okay something about Amy is throwing me off. I have no idea what it is, but something in the back of my skull is saying "Something's wrong here".
I agree- I think it's the dress. It's rounded and glossy where the rest of her is matte. The end result looks like a piece of gummi candy with toothpick limbs stuck into it.
Yeah! It's something with the dress. I think there is something wrong with her eyes as well though. They make her look kinda... drunk?

Also, anyone care to explain why everyone else gets the "awesome bandages" look, but Amy still manages to keep her jewelry? Are they magic bracelets or something. (Disclaimer: I don't know a whole lot about Sonic, so please forgive me if it's explained somewhere)