Sonic Gets Another Shot on TV in Sonic Boom Cartoon Next Year

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Nobody?

No?

I''ve gotta be the one to post this?

Seriously that better be the theme song. That or the Crush 40 vs Cash Cash mix.

OT: Interesting, may watch it sometime, but probably not, being outside the US and avoiding TV as I do. Would rather a show about the Chaotix Crew and the Metallix Brotherhood or something but whatever.

kirwan464

Aug 9, 2013
im guessin that this will prob be done in the same shitty cgi that most cartoons are done in nowadays. If that shadow is knuckles then its a horrible redesign, however when i look at the image i think it looks more like vector the croc.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Eeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Nothing will ever top SatAM. Ever. Its Milton Knight-designed sister series tried for a Tom and Jerry structure and pissed the point (giving us annoying memes in the process), Sonic Underground offered a redeeming use of Gary Chalk but stuck songs into the mix, and I honestly stopped caring once I saw what Sonic X was.

I'm of the Julian Kintobor generation, and Eggman just doesn't cut it, no matter how many times I hear that he's the canonical antagonist of the series, designed and sanctioned by Sega. I'm in the ignored minority, so I can be fairly certain that this new show won't do it for me. That is, unless Eggman actually grows mildly threatening and sheds some of his hyperactive man-child leanings.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
You know what, everyone's right. Robotnik does need to return to form here. Let's see what the good versions of the character did:

Turn animals into an army of robot slaves.
Take over the world.
Pit the only two beings who could stop him against each other.
Set up a trap-filled space station of death with a sapient robot version of his nemesis and giant death-mecha at the end.
Remove the source of enemy's power from any location he intends to fight said enemy to the death.
Actually steal the Master Emerald due to MACHINATIONS.
Develop a taste for monologing in a voice you can swirl brandy to while vowing revenge.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Oh, this can only end well...

Which reminds me, wasn't someone trying to make another Pac-Man Cartoon?
It's actually been airing for a couple of months (on Disney XD here in the States, dunno where for any other country). It's.. not a COMPLETE abomination.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Souplex said:
Does nobody in any industry have any pattern recognition skills?
And why can't they just call him Robotnik again? To make it more in line with the Japanese version? Just have the Japanese version also call him Robotnik. Problem solved.
From what I've come to understand is that his official name still is Dr. Robotnik. Sonic and his friends, however, prefer to call him Dr. Eggman as an insult to the fact that he's shaped like an egg.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Nothing will ever top SatAM. Ever. Its Milton Knight-designed sister series tried for a Tom and Jerry structure and pissed the point (giving us annoying memes in the process), Sonic Underground offered a redeeming use of Gary Chalk but stuck songs into the mix, and I honestly stopped caring once I saw what Sonic X was.

I'm of the Julian Kintobor generation, and Eggman just doesn't cut it, no matter how many times I hear that he's the canonical antagonist of the series, designed and sanctioned by Sega. I'm in the ignored minority, so I can be fairly certain that this new show won't do it for me. That is, unless Eggman actually grows mildly threatening and sheds some of his hyperactive man-child leanings.
MCerberus said:
You know what, everyone's right. Robotnik does need to return to form here. Let's see what the good versions of the character did:

Turn animals into an army of robot slaves.
Take over the world.
Pit the only two beings who could stop him against each other.
Set up a trap-filled space station of death with a sapient robot version of his nemesis and giant death-mecha at the end.
Remove the source of enemy's power from any location he intends to fight said enemy to the death.
Actually steal the Master Emerald due to MACHINATIONS.
Develop a taste for monologing in a voice you can swirl brandy to while vowing revenge.
Yes to both of you. I would kill to see a Sonic game in which Robotnik is a legitimately serious threat. Not this cartoony buffoon that he's been since Sonic Heroes.
In terms of which game represented him best, he actually pulled it off really well in Sonic Adventure 2. Let's look at the list, shall we?

-broke into a military base single-handedly.
-took on a carrier fleet (and won).
-held the world hostage with a supercannon.
-blew up the moon.
-held Amy Rose hostage with an actual GUN.
-tricked Sonic into a damn near perfect deathtrap (seriously, if Sonic didn't suddenly pull off Chaos Control, that's it. Dead hedgehog, end of franchise).
-actually got all 7 Chaos Emeralds into said supercannon.

If it wasn't for Gerald's AI taking over Space Colony ARK and forcing Eggman to work with the heroes, he would've WON. Holy crap, where did that version of Robotnik suddenly vanish to? I want him back!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
The thing is, the American market started calling him Robotnik, but the sad thing is as far as canon goes, he's always been Doctor Eggman. This is the unfortunately true fact that a lot of current-form defenders will dredge up to no end. In their mind, Eggman has finally adopted a universal design and personality that stays the same across the comics, games and localizations.

Where this hurts is where the Eggman defenders refuse to consider that Miyazaki and company more or less butchered a good chunk of their audience's childhood memories. Canon is one thing, suddenly twisting it out of shape because someone at Sega of Japan went "You know what? This shit's over! Screw the old fans, screw the Archie Comics and Fleetway readers! Everyone on the Eggman train, fuck that stupid fat American design!" is another.

I understand and accept that, but it feels like Sega didn't realize that Sonic, as a brand, has become bigger than their core team's designs. I don't understand how the two versions of the same antagonist couldn't coexist, and I don't understand why Sega isn't willing to crib from the comics' one or two good ideas. This whole transmedia thing could be a great opportunity for mutual growth, but all I'm seeing is Sega occasionally dropping a line at Archie and going "Oh, hey. We're launching a new Sonic title in a couple months, you mind producing mini-comics where Sonic drives go-karts or surfs or turns into a werewolf for us?"

That's disappointing, honestly.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Some part of me looks forward to this. There have been some real lemons in Sonic's TV history, but also a couple of gems. Much like his game history, really.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I'm actually kind of optimistic. They've cut the cast back down to the Genesis four and made Knuckles into a powerhouse again. Plus, it looks like it'll actually take place on freaking Mobious instead of "Generic human setting with Sonic characters" that's been happening far too much.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
If they don't remix the Sonic SatAm theme like they did with the TMNT theme for their new show, I'm going to be pissed.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
Oh, this can only end well...

Which reminds me, wasn't someone trying to make another Pac-Man Cartoon?
It happened. It exists. And that is all I will tell you about the horror...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
... I really miss the Freedom Fighters seasons...

Not that I'll rewatch them, I have a feeling my memory doesn't reflect the reality of the quality of that show. On the other hand, the Earthworm Jim TV show is still fun to watch so maybe Sonic Freedom Fighter stood the test of time too.

Think Snively will be featured in this one?

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Make Amy like she was in Sonic CD please, make her have the old cute character design rather than her current one and make her SILENT and mime her actions, it'll be so unapologetically endearing I'll have to enjoy it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
And suddenly...
I hear the clicks of thousands of keystrokes as furries began a new generation of questionable content relating towards a (tarnished) video game icon.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
DAYUM, Knuckle be cut. I don't mind a new sonic tv series as long as they make a good effort and not a cash in.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, Sonic Boom I see what they did there.
I wonder what cartoon only canon they will add to the Sonic series this time (like Sonic favourite food is chilli dog)?