Sonic Mania - New Official 16-Bit Nostalgic Sonic Game - SEGA FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I guess they saw how freedom planet made them look like crap.
Oh well. Sonic 4, part 2 it is then. Don't mind if I don't get too excited.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
loa said:
I guess they saw how freedom planet made them look like crap.
Oh well. Sonic 4, part 2 it is then. Don't mind if I don't get too excited.
Sonic 4 Part 2 is already a thing that exist, my dude.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Didn't they screw up Sonic 4 part 2? Wait for the game to come out to call it a home run.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Aka: Finally the guys who make all the good fan games are legitimate enough to hire. Hurray!

(For people not in the know, the heads on the 2D game are responsible for some of the better sonic things to be made. Christian Whitehead hasn't put a step wrong with remastering sonic 1, 2 and CD so far, so it's not SEGA/Sonic Team we're giving the benefit of the doubt, it's Whitehead and company)

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Well they didn't change the Green Hills theme so that bodes well for the game. I was expecting some terrible remixes. And the new zone theme was decent. Which is also good news, because the OST was 50% of my enjoyment out of Sonic.

Diablo2000 said:
Now if they could only release a new Streets of Rage...
http://www.sorrcommunity.com/t322-streets-of-rage-remake-v5-1-discussion-thread

You're welcome.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Just found out that all the music will be composed (or at least co-composed) by Tee Lopes of Youtube fame. Been a fan of the guy since Sonic 2 HD, so hearing that he's actually working on a SEGA licensed game does my heart good. Guy is a huge Sonic fan and a talented composer. I recommend checking out his page to get a decent idea of what you'll be hearing in Sonic Mania.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Glongpre said:
Well they didn't change the Green Hills theme so that bodes well for the game. I was expecting some terrible remixes. And the new zone theme was decent. Which is also good news, because the OST was 50% of my enjoyment out of Sonic.

Diablo2000 said:
Now if they could only release a new Streets of Rage...
http://www.sorrcommunity.com/t322-streets-of-rage-remake-v5-1-discussion-thread

You're welcome.
I been following this since 4.0, so that it's not new to me since I play the hell of this game when I need my 16 bit beat 'n' up fix. I meant proper new entry.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
kilenem said:
Didn't they screw up Sonic 4 part 2? Wait for the game to come out to call it a home run.
That wasn't Sonic Team, that was Dimps whose record is spotty at best.
As well, this isn't Sonic Team, it's Christian Whitehead, Pagoda West (the guys that worked on Sonic 2 HD) and uses the Headcannon engine .

Too soon to call it a home run sure, but the excitement is warranted, since the team working on all parts of this know their shit when it comes to old school Sonic.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Why are you getting excited for this? I've been watching game grumps play sonic and the black knight and its so bad and buggy. Sega barely cares about sonic, most of the games have been bad and pretty buggy. Are the old ones even that good? Granted I didn't grow up with them but trying to play them now they just feel... clunky and oddly designed, aside from a few early levels.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It's funny... I played the first level of Sonic Adventure 2 yesterday, just because I remember it being the last good sonic game I played and man.... it did not age well.

its amazing Sonic has endured this long.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
BX3 said:
kilenem said:
As well, this isn't Sonic Team, it's Christian Whitehead, Pagoda West (the guys that worked on Sonic 2 HD) and uses the Headcannon engine .

Too soon to call it a home run sure, but the excitement is warranted, since the team working on all parts of this know their shit when it comes to old school Sonic.
That was Sonic team and Dimps. They worked on the Advance games with sonic team too which are some of the best Sonic games.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
kilenem said:
BX3 said:
kilenem said:

That was Sonic team and Dimps. They worked on the Advance games with sonic team too which are some of the best Sonic games.
Huh, ya learn something new every day.
I didn't know they worked on the Advanced series. I loved those. I wonder what the heck happened when they were chosen to work on the past few 3DS games and Sonic 4.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
BX3 said:
kilenem said:
BX3 said:
kilenem said:

Huh, ya learn something new every day.
I didn't know they worked on the Advanced series. I loved those. I wonder what the heck happened when they were chosen to work on the past few 3DS games and Sonic 4.
God knows, I'm blaming SEGA. The reason sonic boom was so screwed up was because it was using the Unreal 4 engine and was being developed for the X1 and PS4. Then SEGA signed a 3 game contract with Nintendo. Rather then Making a entirely new game they just had sonic boom ported to the Wii U.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Worgen said:
Why are you getting excited for this? I've been watching game grumps play sonic and the black knight and its so bad and buggy. Sega barely cares about sonic, most of the games have been bad and pretty buggy. Are the old ones even that good? Granted I didn't grow up with them but trying to play them now they just feel... clunky and oddly designed, aside from a few early levels.
Well for on thing you shouldn't be using Arin as a gauge for how well a game plays. Not only does he hate Sonic games as a whole he's also trying as hard as he can to not pay attention to what's going on. Combine that with the fact he never reads the manual will make a game as easy as Sonic and the Black Knight seem unbearable.

And yeah the old sonic games are just good,simple,fun like other games from the 16 bit days but if you didn't grow up playing games from the era they're all gonna feel rather off.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Yeah, sure. It may be a perfectly playable game. But should we celebrate Sega essentially regressing to the original sonic?
Look at Mario. Yeah, he pretty much as a remake of his original NES/SNES games every year. But he also has other spin-offs that aren't absolute garbage. I'm still waiting for a 3D Sonic game that is actually decent.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Worgen said:
Well for on thing you shouldn't be using Arin as a gauge for how well a game plays. Not only does he hate Sonic games as a whole he's also trying as hard as he can to not pay attention to what's going on. Combine that with the fact he never reads the manual will make a game as easy as Sonic and the Black Knight seem unbearable.

And yeah the old sonic games are just good,simple,fun like other games from the 16 bit days but if you didn't grow up playing games from the era they're all gonna feel rather off.
Ehh, the only sonic game I remember enjoying was sonic battle 2 and I don't think I would really call that a good game.

I did grow up playing 8-16 bit games, but I had a nintendo growing up, not a genesis. Sonic always seemed to be trying too hard, too hard to be edgy, too hard to be cool, too hard to not be Mario. I never felt like speed really worked for sonic, you would start going at a good clip then run into a wall or spikes and even then you could only really be fast for any amount of time in the first few levels.