Sony’s Protective Stance on Crossplay

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of New Vegas either, even setting aside its rushed state. "Here's some stuff. it kind of sounds cool, but there's no narrative hook or real story progression whatsoever" would be my best summary. Like th Beth open worlds aren't exactly great at progressing narratives, but New Vegas just never really did anything until the finale, when they prettymuch Bioware'd it into a good/neutral/evil choice (or you could do the 4th option to tell them all to sod off). At no poijnt prior to that does any story or even the world around you seem to be going on whatsoever.
Personal opinions aside, whenever best Fallout is brought up it is usually New Vegas by people. Which may just show how lacking Fallout 3, 4, and 76 have been.

Eternal is... polarizing to say the least. Attempting to inject a grand space-fantasy storyline into Doom (complete with oodles of cutscenes, and one whole level thats basically slow walking while exposition dumps). A big argument that the new "tactical" gameplay (which boils down to memorizing which of 12 guns (24 wiht secondary fires) applies to which enemy) bogs everything down. Even more convoluted upgrade systems. Like you can see the attempt to expand on the experience.... but it all goes pretty antithetical to the core experience of visceral fast shooting. That and the ludicrous amounts of platforming, which is never going to be received well in an FPS ever (outside of those that were built ground up with those elements like Mirrors Edge or Dying Light (which inversely tend to have awful gunplay).
Again setting that aside (I didn't play Doom because I didn't care enough and FF7R came out right after), Doom Eternal did top a lot of best games of 2020 list. There are very few (if any) outlets that gave the game shit as well. Eternal might have been too grandiose for the core concept of Doom, it's hard to argue that the game itself was just bad. So in fairness we'd have to count it as a "good" Bethesda published title.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Personal opinions aside, whenever best Fallout is brought up it is usually New Vegas by people. Which may just show how lacking Fallout 3, 4, and 76 have been.

Again setting that aside (I didn't play Doom because I didn't care enough and FF7R came out right after), Doom Eternal did top a lot of best games of 2020 list. There are very few (if any) outlets that gave the game shit as well. Eternal might have been too grandiose for the core concept of Doom, it's hard to argue that the game itself was just bad. So in fairness we'd have to count it as a "good" Bethesda published title.

*shrug* You can blindly follow "outlets" if you want. Then anything AAA is good with the rarest of rarest of exceptions.

Flip around the forums here, reddits, game chats. Eternal gets pretty heavily sandbagged by people a ton. For prettymuch all the reasons mentioned. Topping 2020 list's isn't exactly a high bar either

And well, your chop up of my reply and your list of Fallouts in itself shows the issue. I said Fallout 2, ...thats not an uncommon opinion amongst people by any means. If we again, lockstep only to the flashy super-AAA ones that you listed, then yeah, NV could contend (I'd give the tiniest tiniest edge to Fallout 4 myself. Or maybe even 76 if we set bugginess aside)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
*shrug* You can blindly follow "outlets" if you want. Then anything AAA is good with the rarest of rarest of exceptions.

Flip around the forums here, reddits, game chats. Eternal gets pretty heavily sandbagged by people a ton. For prettymuch all the reasons mentioned. Topping 2020 list's isn't exactly a high bar either

And well, your chop up of my reply and your list of Fallouts in itself shows the issue. I said Fallout 2, ...thats not an uncommon opinion amongst people by any means. If we again, lockstep only to the flashy super-AAA ones that you listed, then yeah, NV could contend (I'd give the tiniest tiniest edge to Fallout 4 myself. Or maybe even 76 if we set bugginess aside)
Fallout 2 wasn't Bethesda. That was before they bought the IP and therefore doesn't count as a Bethesda Era Fallout game.