Sony Buys Gaikai Cloud Gaming Service

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
viranimus said:
Thanks Sony... Just another in a very long line of reasons to hate you.

Im not only to the point of completely boycotting Sony... Im contemplating replacing all my old Sony products such as Car stereos, Home stereo, etc that I built up over the years actually supporting these people.

Just another loathesome step from a company that has gotten to be rather loathesome in its own right. But on the bright side, if there is anyone who was going to buy a company that should not exist, Im glad it was with a company that already had done enough to earn hatred on its own merits.
How does this negatively affect you at all?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Yeah, I think I am about ready to give up gaming. I am not at all interested in some scheme like OnLive has.

Let me lay it out for folks who don't know. Hopefully this information isn't out of date, it's been about a year since I looked into it.

- You "buy" game for full price ($60), it's only available it for 3 years
- You must maintain the monthly fee to have access to the games you rented for full price
- If you suspend your account (stop paying) fpr more than 12 months, they close your account taking all your "purchases" with it.

Who in their right mind would do that?
Actually you are a little out a date, and not quite right either. Onlive guarantees the game will playable until a certain date, if there still enough players playing that game, they will extend the availability of the game.(This has not happen as no game has reached the limit yet)

There is no monthly fee on games you bought full licenses on. So you can play them whenever you want as long as their still available.

Monthly fee only pertains to the playpass system. If you are paying the monthly fee you have access to ALL GAMES that are in the playpass library. Stopping the playpass will only take away games from the library unless you bought a full license on a game, you will still have access to that game.

Rental Passes are available for 3 and 5 days, these only let you play the game for 3 or 5 days.

30 minute pass lets you play the game free of charge for 30 minutes, as many times as you like, but you start over from the beginning each time.

Onlive is FREE to have an account, so even if you don't want to pay anything, there is always the 30 minute pass if your eager to try out a game before you buy it, even if it is on another system.

And now there are five:
OnLive
Microsoft Cloud
GameStop SpawnLabs
Sony Gaikai
Steam Cloud

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Baldr said:
Crono1973 said:
Yeah, I think I am about ready to give up gaming. I am not at all interested in some scheme like OnLive has.

Let me lay it out for folks who don't know. Hopefully this information isn't out of date, it's been about a year since I looked into it.

- You "buy" game for full price ($60), it's only available it for 3 years
- You must maintain the monthly fee to have access to the games you rented for full price
- If you suspend your account (stop paying) fpr more than 12 months, they close your account taking all your "purchases" with it.

Who in their right mind would do that?
Actually you are a little out a date, and not quite right either. Onlive guarantees the game will playable until a certain date, if there still enough players playing that game, they will extend the availability of the game.(This has not happen as no game has reached the limit yet)

There is no monthly fee on games you bought full licenses on. So you can play them whenever you want as long as their still available.

Monthly fee only pertains to the playpass system. If you are paying the monthly fee you have access to ALL GAMES that are in the playpass library. Stopping the playpass will only take away games from the library unless you bought a full license on a game, you will still have access to that game.

Rental Passes are available for 3 and 5 days, these only let you play the game for 3 or 5 days.

30 minute pass lets you play the game free of charge for 30 minutes, as many times as you like, but you start over from the beginning each time.

Onlive is FREE to have an account, so even if you don't want to pay anything, there is always the 30 minute pass if your eager to try out a game before you buy it, even if it is on another system.
I stand corrected, thanks for the update.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
How does this negatively affect you at all?
Foolproof said:
Yeah, how dare they...

...... Why do people not understand that their choices never are simply their own choices and that their choices effect everyone and every thing. Its cloud gaming... a technology that is not wanted or needed by consumers. Its another step in pushing digital distribution as a means to control their media beyond the levels of control they should have. So Sony buying a cloud service means they fully intend to not only use it but perpetuate it. Just because someone is gullible enough to like it or naive enough to be duped into thinking this is a good thing does not mean the damage done by one individual supporting a bad idea ends with them.

I mean last year when people were complaining about the potential of MW elite... the counterargument was the same.. If someone might like it, who does it hurt. Well.. Its hurt the entire industry and we see how now by Battlefield 3 premium service netting almost a million subscribers. Whats the next step? In 5 years will we see all major games have in game Real money transaction thanks to the fact people bought and accepted diablo 3?

TL;DR

Peoples decisions are never their own because the consequences of their decisions can potentially effect everyone.

EDIT: perhaps my response is biased, having just completed Deus Ex HR, but I am pretty sure I have made this argument before.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
viranimus said:
Its cloud gaming... a technology that is not wanted or needed by consumers.
Not wanted by you. Don't speak from bias and argue with generalizations--you won't get far.

You've failed to demonstrate why Sony purchasing this company warrants further "hate" from you. Not only do you know nothing at all of their plans for the technology and the business, you've no idea if they are even taking over the group or simply purchasing it for profit. Cloud gaming is here, and so is physical media. The two exist together at the moment and Sony is another cog in that machine.

A little less conjecture, bias and rage. A lot less sensationalism and propaganda.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yes I am fully aware that cloud gaming is here, and thats the entire point of the hate. This technology should not exist, yet, The fact is that a major corporation with the financial clout to strong arm it into viability is going to take a technology that offers no true benefit to the customer over any other alternative.

The two (physical/digital) might exist at the same moment, but that does not mean co-exist. The only thing that is making them exist at the same time is the resistance to digital distribution to which there is no where near enough of. Sony did not purchase a cloud based service in order to hold it as a trophy company. They bought it because they wish to utilize it because they view it as another tool in the forcible push of digital distribution on the gaming populous in order to better control and maximize profit. So No I have no interest in supporting that goal because it negatively effects me by spitting on legal rights and working around the concept of ownership.

No, It does not matter if it is speculation Its not idle speculation, its speculation based on proven history. Ive already illustrated its not sensationalism because the precedents speak for themselves. Its pretty hard to be propaganda when I am basically the only one reminding people that their negative choices effect me and others like me negatively. When every time I bring up something that requires an inkling of vision the whole "slippery slope! Slippery Slope!" chant comes out to try to tell me I am overreacting. I would think they might be right had I not had such a long history of calling these things accurately.

If anything there needs to be a great deal more life experience and a whole lot less idealism that wants to think the best of a situation, when there is no justification for it. Not speaking in resistance to it simply because "Its already here" is defeatist.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
If it's an extension of a service or option for gamers: Fine.
If it's a core/required component of Sony's next gen system (assuming they even bother), well, it just mean a little bit more of the gaming market is going to Eternal Rental Hell.

Though given the agendas of the publishers and Big Three, in 20 years, I suspect that the concept of letting the gamer enjoy a title without having some corporate service looking over their shoulder will appear delightfully quaint.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Foolproof said:
And by "the customer", you mean only "insane, deranged PC fanboys who obsessively upgrade their machines 9 times a week", because those are the only people on the planet who won't find the benefeit of a service to play games without having to buy a several hundred dollar console, or a several thousand dollar PC.
That is patently false. You can exist on a decent 400USD PC for 3-5 years without needing an upgrade. I am sorry that youve gotten that wrong of an idea, but it is wrong.

As for the precedent? It starts with the first online connected game and its been gradual increments ever since with notable ones such as Steams rise to prominence, DLC, PSPGO and many many many many other clear signs that the industry as a whole is determined to cram digital distribution down the publics throat come hell or high water, and its not even in question that they do this specifically out of greed.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I would like to see a fully specced console with cloud capabilities released alongside a cut-price cloud only box. That would be pretty awesome.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
As a tool for use with demos, indie games that were never going to see a physical release anyway and games a customer has access to via Sony's premium PSN subscription I see no issue with Gaikai becoming a part of Sony. But if this is used for core game titles as a replacement of hard copies, I'm not buying the system and even without empirical data I think I can safely say there are people who'd agree with me. Having said that, there isn't even a slight chance that Sony is going all digital with the next console, no one is quite dumb enought to think the world has the internet infrastructure required to run such a system. I'll still keep an eye on this though, it'd be a shame if it gets out of hand.