Sony: Casual Games Are Just "an Addictive Diversion"

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Foolproof said:
Since when is Limbo a casual game? And since when is that overhyped overglorified tech demo Dear Esther a game?
It's not exactly as if there's any real challenge to either of them. It's more about experiencing the style, aesthetics and narrative. And I'd call Dear Esther a game for two reasons. You navigate a digital body through a three-dimensional world, but there's also a goal; a clear end point to your journey.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Even in the prime of social games it was never meant to replace hardcore titles, the idea of it is comparable to thinking web shorts would replace feature movies.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
This just in from the PopCap marketing department:

Mikodite said:
All hail PopCap!
In other news, Farther than stars goes on the record to say that Zynga's recent dip in the stock market has "relatively little to do with the quality of their games". Instead he cites a "PR department that makes me want to cry" [sic] as the main reason why investors are pulling out.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
An "addictive diversion" is exactly how i feel about regular games though...i mean, i love them, but if i've got something going on in real life, its no big deal.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
PunkRex said:
Then whats this glowy ball on the end of my Playstation controler?
I believe that is what we call hypocrisy.

OT: Every time someone from Sony starts talking I feel myself disliking Sony a bit more. Downplaying the weight that is carried by casual games after one company known for making social games hit some bumps.

It's not like "hardcore" games are any different. It's all just a diversion to help us relax and enjoy ourselves for a few hours. The same could be said about books, movies, sports or any activity we do for fun. I can't see why it makes a difference in the big picture.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
The problem is that all games can be addictive.

Casual and Hardcore are just mindsets. I can pick up and play a so called core game for 15 minutes. At the same time, I can play something like Bejeweled for hours at the time. It is a mindset and nothing more.

Hell, fighting games are the definition of pick up and play casual, but they are called core games.

If you are going to try to correct me, have something more to add other then, "wow you are so wrong."

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Grey Carter said:
As opposed to core games which are what? Just diversions?
Hardcore games are not just mere diversions!

THEY ARE LIFE!

I thought as a true gamer, YOU would understand that stabbing noobs from across the room with my instant kill knife lung meant so much more than flinging a bird at a pig fort.

I am so ashamed of you.

OT: Have you guys what games are on the Sony Market place? Tons of casual games. You know what game I have found more balanced and well designed than multi million dollar AAA games? A free-to-play card game called Shadow Era.

edos63

Apr 5, 2012
Comparing 'hardcore' to 'casual' is like comparing movies to TV. Both have their place. Saying that one is more pointless than another is a stupid argument. They are simply different and yield different experiences.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
If your going to survive as a diverse game platform, your going to have to offer both, or not stay in business.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I agree with Sony, but I'm suspicious about the why of this statement. Sounds more like they're trying to convince themselves more than anything. I could be wrong, but that's just how this brushed with me.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I disagree, not because I play casual games, but because I think mainstream games became better because of them. Even the simplest smartphone minigame has been an exercise in how to better approach a bigger, more varied audience. Given that videogames have been forbidding for far too long, so I think it's encouraging that a lot of new people are pouring in. And yes, Fruit-ninja or whatever it's called is an "addictive diversion", but the fact that it can be successful has opened a lot of doors for small, independent, or F2P projects.

As for "F2P isn't the future" - I think Sony is just scared shitless that no one thing is going to be the future, and they won't be able to rake in all the dough. As for F2P, FireFall, Blacklight, Tribes Ascend, and Planetside are F2P shooters with the same, if not better, looks, features and support of $60 games. I don't see how another CoD can even be profitable with this many free competitors.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
sethisjimmy said:
Because the PS Move was just hardcore as fuck, right?
You do realize he said there is a place for casual and freemium? He didn't say one was going to get rid of the other. People read the article before you post... >.>

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Yopaz said:
PunkRex said:
Then whats this glowy ball on the end of my Playstation controler?
I believe that is what we call hypocrisy.

OT: Every time someone from Sony starts talking I feel myself disliking Sony a bit more. Downplaying the weight that is carried by casual games after one company known for making social games hit some bumps.

It's not like "hardcore" games are any different. It's all just a diversion to help us relax and enjoy ourselves for a few hours. The same could be said about books, movies, sports or any activity we do for fun. I can't see why it makes a difference in the big picture.
Well funny enough I actually don't agree with you there... the diversion thing, not the Sony are dumb thing (thats true). I get what your saying, these things are a diversion to enjoy/relax, until someone dedicates theirs lives to said diversion, then it becomes a lifestyle (to some its the most important thing in the world). Sony's statement is just disrespectful.