Sony CEO "Can't Imagine" Future of PlayStation

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Tretton says he "can't even imagine what can be done technically beyond the PlayStation 3 in the near future." According to Tretton, the PlayStation 4 would only happen: "When somebody can craft the technology that exceeds what we're able to do on the PS3, but we are still just starting to harness it."
Someone should show Tretton Crysis 2 or an Nvidia GF100.

Mr Snuffles

Owner of Mister Toast
Apr 15, 2009
Much as people knock the PS3's financial record in comparison to the Xbox 360, the PS3 has actually gained more than Microsoft relative to the time of release. A few months ago the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 and the Wii, leaving Microsoft's console at the bottom of the three horse race!

Also is it just me who misunderstood the title?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I feel kind of bad for this, but only 2 things really popped into my mind reading this.

1) PCs Graphic abilities are going to outshine consoles so much it isn't even funny.

2) Since most games seems to have their shiny graphics potential gauged on what the current console generation can manage, and computer hardware getting more powerful while the demand a game puts on a platform stays the same, the cost for a good gaming computer rig is going to be incredibly cheap. Might even get to the point where even a new rig is cheaper then a console, and a savvy shopper might as well hook up a PC to a Television, and get way more then a console can properly manage.

What? Publishers generally treat the PC crowd like they have leprosy, let me at least be a little cocky about something.

Also, this is probably good overall. An extra long generation will mean that developers will be forced to innovate in game play instead of graphics.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Woodsey said:
Zer_ said:
Futuristic? We're talking about a console that can at best barely outperform the X360 on a graphical basis.

It can and has done, don't really get what you're saying. It seems to struggle in multi-plat games a little though, although that seems to be getting squeezed out.

Still, I don't think that a 3-year-old set of hardware can be described as futuristic.
The PS3's Cell processor is definitely powerful, but it's most definitely bogged down by everything else. Low RAM, a mediocre GPU. The GPU doesn't even have unified shader architecture, which is standard accross all GPUs since the last 4-5 years now. Heck the 360's GPU is quite a ways better than the PS3's GPU.

On a side-by-side comparison between most 360 exclusives and PS3 exclusives you won't find that big of a graphical difference between the two. Sure, you may find the PS3 will have the edge on some aspects, but when it comes to Anti-Aliasing and texture data the 360 has the edge.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is great when you heard the people in charge of its own product trying to up-sell it.

PS3 does look like it will last a farewell, but, I am sure they are always making plans, that much is for sure

Alex909

Sep 13, 2009
Zer_ said:
Futuristic? We're talking about a console that can at best barely outperform the X360 on a graphical basis.

Hahahahahahaha
Uhhh... what?
Look at Uncharted 2/Heavy Rain/MGS4. Then come back.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Zer_ said:

Hahahahahahaha
Of which parallel universe are you referring?

The amount of extra textures and detail that are able to be loaded on a blu ray disk, by far and away, out perform the 360 with it's terrible dvd/cd-only drive. Only due to some developers lazy coding do you see small differences in cross platform games.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Paddin said:
I think the fact that everytime this man gives a talk he continually jabs at the opposition shows that his arguments, and console, alone arent strong enough to stand up for themselves. I really hate how everytime he has a conference he sounds like

"We are so amazing in every way and xbox sucks, PS3 FTW!"
I hear the opposite from the Xbox crowds, its how you get hype up and lengthen the Console Wars. I would care less about which console is great if they had great games on it and for me I just happen to find my games on the PS3. I have been wondering when someone (sony executive) would throw a punch at Natal vs Eyetoy though.

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
I don't think that graphics are going to get much better and even if they do who gives a damn! I never play a game just because the graphics are supposed to be great, it seems like programmers today are spending so much time working on the graphics of a game that they forget all about the gameplay!

I don't know about you guys but I would definetly give up spectacular graphics in a game for one that tells a good story, offers a moderate length and is just fun to play!

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
mikecoulter said:
Zer_ said:

Hahahahahahaha
Of which parallel universe are you referring?

The amount of extra textures and detail that are able to be loaded on a blu ray disk, by far, and away, out perform the 360 with it's terrible dvd/cd-only drive. Only due to some developers lazy coding do you see small differences in cross platform games.
All that space is useless if the GPU can't effectively render all that data. Let's not forget that the console only has 250MB of video ram. Seriously, do you honestly think that putting loads of texture data onto the blu-ray disk will actually result in better graphics?

Think for a minute here, you can only load 250MB of texture data at any one time, that includes Texture Maps, Normal Maps, Specular Maps, Cube Maps, and any other such textures that modern developers slap onto their models.

Sure, you can have the card swap delete and rewrite data into the memory to account for more texture data, but that takes precious GPU cycles that are already loaded performing vertex and pixel calculations.

As I said, both the 360 and PS3 have their respective strengths and weaknesses, but overall the two consoles aren't that far apart when it comes down to it.

The PS3's GPU is based off of a five year old GeForce 7800 design... Even though the 360's GPU is older, the 360's GPU integrated many of the now standard innovations including unified shader models. Furthermore, the 360 GPU is also capable of using some DirectX 10 features, whereas the PS3's GPU is only capable of rendering DirectX 9.

Furthermore, the 360's GPU is in fact NEWER than the PS3's (in terms of technology used). At the time that the 360's GPU was designed, ATI used their currently unreleased R600 architecture, which spawned the HD2000 / HD3000 series of cards (Which are far more potent than the 7800 series).

Source on the PS3's GPU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27
Source on the X360's GPU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Hey as long as we have a next gen console in 2-3 years I don't care how long a PS3 will last. Heck by then we can probably emulate one on a netbook. (kidding).
I just don't see it lasting that long though (well maybe sports games). If this gen goes too long I think you will see more people jump ship to PC once they realize that a 500-700 dollar desktop(6+gb ram, 1g graphics card, and decent processor) will rape their console.(even more so as time goes on)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
If they want the PS3 to last that long, it will be easy: MAKE MORE GAMES! Not shovelware, mind you, but good-quality exclusives, stuff that sets the PS3 apart from the competition. Yes, the PS3 is technologically superior to the 360, whether the XBox fanboys care to admit it or not, we get that. But you know what? NOBODY CARES ANYMORE!! Chrissake, you think flaunting that fact is enough to make everyone trade-in their 360 for a PS3? People don't buy consoles for the console. THEY BUY IT FOR THE GAMES!!

Once the Arc or whatever it's called is out, ditch all other stupid peripheral projects for, like, a year, and start work on some brand new franchises, showing us (and, more importantly, third-party devs) how all that power can be used. Make them fun. Make them interesting. Make people say "Wow, you know what we should get? A PS3, because it has [cool RPG X], and [awesome platformer Y], and [weird-yet-extremely-cool-looking-game-that-noones-ever-heard-of-before] that's coming out in June!" Because that's what people look for when buying consoles. At least, that's what I look for.

The PS3 has recieved a bunch of great new titles recently, like Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain. But they need more games, and more new exclusive franchises if they intend it to survive for a decade, and possibly longer.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Honestly the current generation of consoles have great graphics and we don't need new consoles with photo realistic graphics. The next step should be just faster consoles with more power to allow faster loading times. Also how about developing some kind of internet speed boosting piece of hardware to keep a stable connection with people who have crap connections.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
PS3 had a slow start back in 2006, yet they are picking up speed right about now, and are aiming for 10-year life cycle for the system. There seems to be a correlation here.

Andronicus said:
If they want the PS3 to last that long, it will be easy: MAKE MORE GAMES! Not shovelware, mind you, but good-quality exclusives, stuff that sets the PS3 apart from the competition. Yes, the PS3 is technologically superior to the 360, whether the XBox fanboys care to admit it or not, we get that. But you know what? NOBODY CARES ANYMORE!! Chrissake, you think flaunting that fact is enough to make everyone trade-in their 360 for a PS3? People don't buy consoles for the console. THEY BUY IT FOR THE GAMES!!

Once the Arc or whatever it's called is out, ditch all other stupid peripheral projects for, like, a year, and start work on some brand new franchises, showing us (and, more importantly, third-party devs) how all that power can be used. Make them fun. Make them interesting. Make people say "Wow, you know what we should get? A PS3, because it has [cool RPG X], and [awesome platformer Y], and [weird-yet-extremely-cool-looking-game-that-noones-ever-heard-of-before] that's coming out in June!" Because that's what people look for when buying consoles. At least, that's what I look for.
QFT. This is actually what they need most.