Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Your next PlayStation may hide commercials in its CPU.

Sony has patented a system designed to interrupt media content and insert advertisements. According to the patent, the invention is intended to be used with "computers, graphic workstations, television, entertainment systems, video game systems, DVRs, media players, home servers, video game consoles and the like." The code that transmits the commercials can be hidden away on removable storage devices, the GPU, the CPU and the RAM.

According to the patent, you'll know it's happening when "the game slows down...the user knows to get ready for a commercial, the game then stops, and the commercial is played. After the commercial, the game resumes." In some instances the game "may resume by slowly starting again, which allows the user to remember where he or she was in the game."

This isn't the first time Sony has expressed an interest in such technology; the patent has been active in one form or another for at least six years. However Sony's decision to continue the patent strongly suggests they want a workable advertising system at some point.

Don't think this is limited to PlayStations. Sony manufactures hardware as well as software, and assuming they follow through on this patent then there's no telling where those storage devices or central processors will end up. After all, when you buy a media player, you don't ask where the manufacturer got their GPU.

So. Anyone want to buy some soda?

Sources: Patent US 2011/0274409 [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-sony-patents-method-to-interrupt-your-gaming-with-an-ad]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
No. I don't hate ads. Put them before or after something, and I'm cool with that. I'm even fine with product placement to an extent. I tolerate commercials in TV because that's how it has always been (though I watch most shows via Netflix nowadays, so it's generally not even an issue there). I hate the idea of my gaming experience being interrupted by something totally unrelated. This just seems disrespectful to gamers and to the games. I promise I won't buy a Sony console that does this.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Hey jackasses, one of the main reasons we play games over watching TV is that games don't randomly get interrupted by advertising! This idea is pure bullshit.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Good god.........seriously, if even half the rumors about the next generation of consoles prove to be true, I'd say there's a 95% chance the last console I buy will be the 360 I currently own. >.>

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
If it lets me play games for free than I'm all for it!

If this is for paid games then no, I'm not getting a ps4.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I would fucking rage. Right in the middle of gaming, a damn ad interrupts me? Hell no.

When people talk about pirates offering a better service... this is the sort of shit that will give them a gold badge of approval.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Dear Sony,
Please keep acting like cunts and activity shitty on your user base, it's great!

-Sincerity, Nintendo

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
If you sell me the console really cheap and give me free games (including AAA games) sure, I might can deal.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
What happened to subtly integrating branding into the games themselves? Too much effort? I can only imagine that this is just one of those "patent that shit before anyone else can" kind of things, and they don't actually intend to put it in, because I can't imagine anybody being insane enough to actually believe this to be a good idea.

EDIT: actually, after reading the above comments, I have to admit the idea seems much more interesting if the upside is free games (and I'm talking free here, not discounted; not even quarter-price sales can convince me to play something that cuts in and out of ad breaks). Course, I'd imagine there'd still be full-price games without ads. Sounds like it could be interesting, as long as they approach it smartly, and not just jamming random ads into every game with abandon.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DustyDrB said:
No. I don't hate ads. Put them before or after something, and I'm cool with that. I'm even fine with product placement to an extent. I tolerate commercials in TV because that's how it has always been (though I watch most shows via Netflix nowadays, so it's generally not even an issue there). I hate the idea of my gaming experience being interrupted by something totally unrelated. This just seems disrespectful to gamers and to the games. I promise I won't buy a Sony console that does this.
I've actually been cool with those advertising billboards in games updating and the like, so I'm not even bothered by ads IN games. These would stop gameplay, though. That's just wrong. I hate it when CUTSCENES take control away from me, and they don't actually sell anything.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Well I'm definitely not buying this new generation of consoles right off the bat, I want to see how much of this BS is true before I waste my money on it.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Very bad idea Sony, very bad idea indeed.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
They better keep their ads of my stuff.
I'm already paying for the hardware and the software.
I don't need ads on my pc.
Wait... Does Sony produce anything for PC?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The only time I don't care to see an ad is at this screen:

You know, the screen where nothing is happening while the map loads?

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is obnoxious if it makes it into new products. But if a firmware update starts interrupting games I've already paid for (or worse, my movies), then I will be furious. But Sony's not THAT dumb... I hope.

P.S. Thanks

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Wow, I mean, I know Sony are stupid but are they really that thick?

If this goes ahead they can say goodbye to their consu- HEY TRY NEW GENERIC COLA 9999 CENTS- mer base.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This doesn't even make sense. Is the point of buying a game not to play the game. I mean, if there is any likelihood this would happen while I was playing on a Sony game system, there is zero chance of me buying one. If they were going to distribute games for free, then this would be acceptable. There are plenty of smart device games that do this... though usually they are shitty games, and if they aren't, I don't usually buy them anyway if there is a free version... this is of course because the game is not worth the money they are asking for it.

I digress. I can't help but feel that if you buy a product you should be free of advertisements. That is why there is no commercial interruptions on HBO shows. It only makes sense.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andronicus said:
Course, I'd imagine there'd still be full-price games without ads. Sounds like it could be interesting, as long as they approach it smartly, and not just jamming random ads into every game with abandon.
At least according to the article, the ads won't be programmed into the game, they'll be coded into the console itself. No matter what game you're playing, a Pepsi commercial will be interrupting you. From the sound of things no game will be ad-free.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Ads in loading screens? Fine, but stopping my game in the middle of it is a great way to ensure that I never pay for a game ever again.

EDIT: Now that I think on it some more, if it's hardcoded into the hardware I'm never buying the hardware. Not just that, but I'll help anyone I can jailbreak that shit out of their hardware so they don't have to deal with it, this is a terrible idea, and will pretty well just earn the ire of every gamer out there.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I tolerate ads in TV shows I don't pay for. I absolutely refuse to purchase anything with ads. That is why I stopped buying DVDs. If this actually materializes, Sony can kiss my money goodbye.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Seriously Sony, I like your stuff. I like the Playstation. I like the Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. I even like the Sony laptop I have.

But these rumors really make it seem like you are actively trying to get me to stop supporting you.

Edit: I'd also like you, Sony, to know that most TV shows are designed with commercials in mind and movies are edited to work with them. They don't just stop randomly in the middle of a scene for commercials.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
DustyDrB said:
I've actually been cool with those advertising billboards in games updating and the like, so I'm not even bothered by ads IN games.
I don't know if I've seen those. What's an example?

I agree, though. When you take away control, you annoy me. Try to do that so you can advertise some soda to me, you'll make me a bit angry and will lose my business. And it would fail, anyway. I think most gamers would just take that moment to use the bathroom or something.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
Why is it when I read this I instantly think that in 500 years we will all be watering our crops with Gatorade?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
DustyDrB said:
I've actually been cool with those advertising billboards in games updating and the like, so I'm not even bothered by ads IN games. These would stop gameplay, though. That's just wrong. I hate it when CUTSCENES take control away from me, and they don't actually sell anything.
It would ruin my experience. I've seen some heart-breaking scenes in games that I'll remember for a long time. Wanna know how to ruin it? Stop in the middle of one to tell me that Dr. Pepper Ten is not for women.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
MarlonBlazed said:
Why is it when I read this I instantly think that in 500 years we will all be watering our crops with Gatorade?
But...the electro-lights! Don't you know plants need light? Gatorade has them in the drink. Everyone needs electro-lights!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eri said:
If you sell me the console really cheap and give me free games (including AAA games) sure, I might can deal.
Of course, they will do neither. They will probably even claim it's to subsidise costs, but they will charge the same as before and still expect as much.

Kinda like how that 15 dollar "online pass" is supposed to cover server costs, but they're shutting them down all the same.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
This seems like a terrible idea and I can bet people will get mad if it does happen. A better place for an ad would be a loading screen. That way the ad isn't interrupting anything.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Fayathon said:
EDIT: Now that I think on it some more, if it's hardcoded into the hardware I'm never buying the hardware. Not just that, but I'll help anyone I can jailbreak that shit out of their hardware so they don't have to deal with it, this is a terrible idea, and will pretty well just earn the ire of every gamer out there.
Not really. People around here are not in favor of piracy, but its hard to argue about it when the experience they offer is just better...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Andronicus said:
Course, I'd imagine there'd still be full-price games without ads. Sounds like it could be interesting, as long as they approach it smartly, and not just jamming random ads into every game with abandon.
At least according to the article, the ads won't be programmed into the game, they'll be coded into the console itself. No matter what game you're playing, a Pepsi commercial will be interrupting you. From the sound of things no game will be ad-free.
That doesn't necessarily mean they'd have to be in the game regardless. If you download a game that's completely free, it can come with a code to cause the console to produce ads. If you decide you want to pay to play without the ads, you can pay for an override code that stops the console from putting in ads.

Note that I'm not saying how it will work (if it actually happens), only how it could work.

The only problem I can see with this system is that it wouldn't work with online multiplayer games, unless everybody got the ad break simultaneously, and for the same length of time, which is completely unrealistic. Course, that means it would only happen during single-player games, and the need for the console to download new ads when the ad break starts means that you'd have to be online all the time, like Diablo III.

I reckon I could actually support it, but like I said, only if the games are free, and only if there's an option to pay a premium to stop adbreaks.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Online always DRM, day one DLC thats already on the disc, in game advertisements that stop you from playing your game. Welcome to the future of gaming, this is what we asked for! :)

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Terminate421 said:

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.
Your tolerance will be taken advantage of sooner or later.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is okay for free games. I even tolerated it in the past on load screens (Ragnarok Online did this, but most of the ads were in Korean so I didn't even understand them).

If I have to pay for a game, and you interrupt it with an ad, I'll fucking quit gaming for the rest of my life. I swear to you all right now, under oath (assuming this becomes a widespread thing).

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
AC10 said:
This is okay for free games. I even tolerated it in the past on load screens (Ragnarok Online did this, but most of the ads were in Korean so I didn't even understand them).

If I have to pay for a game, and you interrupt it with an ad, I'll fucking quit gaming for the rest of my life. I swear to you all right now, under oath (assuming this becomes a widespread thing).
Or you could just swear off buying new games. I don't see the need to quit completely when there's still tons of great oldies out there untouched by this bullshit.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If this is true then Sony have just lost themselves a customer. PC here I come!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Apr 3, 2020
If you put ads before the game, I'm fine with that - loading screens tend to be dead space anyway; just don't make them buffer. If you interrupt my games, then that'll not only kill any sense of flow or immersion - regardless of how you insert them - it'll also destroy any amount of respect I ever had for the company.

(Note to self: must find Blu-ray player made by someone other than Sony.)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Stormz said:
AC10 said:

Or you could just swear off buying new games. I don't see the need to quit completely when there's still tons of great oldies out there untouched by this bullshit.
Well, sure I guess that makes sense :p

Kind of heat of the moment and all that.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
IN THE LATEST CONSOLE WAR NEWS:

Microsoft surged ahead in the "Worst console" race with the reports of the 720 preventing used or borrowed games from playing. But Sony has come from behind with ads in their system. It's gonna be a tight one, but om what I can tell, the only winners will be pirates on the PC.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:
Not really. People around here are not in favor of piracy, but its hard to argue about it when the experience they offer is just better...
I personally am against piracy, and if what I've read into this is correct it's not the games themselves that would have these ads, rather it would be the hardware, which is a whole different level of bullshit in and of itself.

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy. However if it's in the hardware as I think it is, then I support jailbreaking your devices or not purchasing them at all.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:
I personally am against piracy, and if what I've read into this is correct it's not the games themselves that would have these ads, rather it would be the hardware, which is a whole different level of bullshit in and of itself.

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy. However if it's in the hardware as I think it is, then I support jailbreaking your devices or not purchasing them at all.
If you buy the games with ads in them, you are just encouraging them to do it more. Why would you do that? Why would you want to support the developers who insert ads into their games?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Really? Ads to interrupt games? Thanks for letting me know you were this much of a company of jackasses Sony. And to think I was just about to finally cave and buy a PS3 so I can get some good JRPGs (most via the PSN). Now however I honestly can say I despise you Sony more than ever. Hell I now consider EA as having more honor and integrity than you (did I just say something nice about EA? washes mouth out with soap). You can now join EA, and Capcom as companies I am blacklisting and will never give money to again.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
And this is why PC gaming is king. We have always on DRM & we get day one DLC but i don't think anyone is trying to stop PC games in order to force an advertisement.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DustyDrB said:
I don't know if I've seen those. What's an example?
I don't remember a specific example, but EA was doing this tons in games for a while. The last EA game I picked up was KoA, and before that...I don't remember the last one. So....

I THINK Burnout: Paradise did it.

I agree, though. When you take away control, you annoy me. Try to do that so you can advertise some soda to me, you'll make me a bit angry and will lose my business. And it would fail, anyway. I think most gamers would just take that moment to use the bathroom or something.
Pretty much like TV.

I think the biggest "problem" with advertising is that we've learned to tune them out. I can't remember the last ten ads I've seen, and the only ad Captcha from this site whose name I remember is Chevy. I mean, I get those bad boys like ten times in a row. They still don't stick. I don't get cable anymore, because it's too expensive, and I don't watch enough. But the last time I watched commercial TV, I just did something else during the commercials. So yeah, I don't thinks this'll work, for obvious reasons.

This isn't a solution. It probably will make more problems. Like us not buying PS4s. Because I won't support this crap, either.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'll tell you one thing these ads won't make me want to buy: A Play Station 4.
If this is true, I can't wait for the PS4 to launch. I want to see if Sony plays the same denial game this time.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It would ruin my experience. I've seen some heart-breaking scenes in games that I'll remember for a long time. Wanna know how to ruin it? Stop in the middle of one to tell me that Dr. Pepper Ten is not for women.
Oh God. I'm dying here. That was hilarious for some reason.

And now I'm picturing this in other media. Bambi's mom gets shot, and suddenly, the frame freezes and you hear "have a happy period!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
And this is why PC gaming is king. We have always on DRM & we get day one DLC but i don't think anyone is trying to stop PC games in order to force an advertisement.
the PC Master Race keeps whining that games are being dumbed down for consoles or that games are "shitty console ports." What makes you think you're immune here?

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
If this happened i would seriously fucking burn my sony products, renounce my console ways and become a PC gam- haha nah, i'd just get an xbox.
LOL, you would get the console that is already overrun with ads. You really think next gen they are going to have less ads?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
the PC Master Race keeps whining that games are being dumbed down for consoles or that games are "shitty console ports." What makes you think you're immune here?
Because people know that if they put ads such as this into a PC game the game itself will be cracked to have the ads and relevant DRM yanked out within 6 hours of release anyway. At least on consoles you know that removing ads would not be easy due to hardware integration of said ads, however on the PC it would have to be software-only

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
doggie015 said:
Because people know that if they put ads such as this into a PC game the game itself will be cracked to have the ads and relevant DRM yanked out within 6 hours of release anyway. At least on consoles you know that removing ads would not be easy due to hardware integration of said ads, however on the PC it would have to be software-only
You know, unless you have a Sony device of some sort, since this mentioned hardware inclusion and did not specify it was PS4 only.

Or other companies see this happening and want in.

Besides, "people will crack it" hasn't stopped always on DRM or the other crap you mentioned.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:

If you buy the games with ads in them, you are just encouraging them to do it more. Why would you do that? Why would you want to support the developers who insert ads into their games?
If I'm going to have a game I don't pirate it, no exceptions. If I find a game that has something that offends me to the point of not wanting to support the developers I go without, plain and simple.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Fayathon said:
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:

If I'm going to have a game I don't pirate it, no exceptions. If I find a game that has something that offends me to the point of not wanting to support the developers I go without, plain and simple.
You said:

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy.

I am confused because your stance has apparently changed between these two posts.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, yeah... I promise I will start to rage. When this technology actually - in some far away and more and more hypothetical future - slows down and stops some game I'm playing.
Until then: could somebody please pick up the sack of rice that just fell over in China?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Terminate421 said:

The problem with that is the developers then have a conflict of interest to make loading times shorter as they will get less ad money. There will be incentive (usually applied by the Publishers) to make more loading times and do NOTHING to make them shorter. The ads with be obnoxious, they will make noises, they will be TOTALLY irrelevant like selling dish washing maintenance to someone playing a first person shooter.

You have to be careful monetising games.

You may think free-to-play gives incentive to sell over-powered game breaking weapons but that is contrary to their objective and that is to get as many people as technologically possible to download the game and play it and keep them hooked. That will not work if they are being constantly killed by rich players who bought OP guns. No, You sell them EVERYTHING about the game except what interferes with players to play fair games against each other. That means no to OP weapons AND no to premium map packs. But anything else from cosmetic, convenience, mod-options, re-play, etc can be sold or earned slowly.

Games are in a POOR position to advertise as they don't really know ANYTHING about their player.

Google is in a good position to make money off advertising as it does a good job both as guessing their interests based on their searches and also on tracking individual users. This is why Google stock exploded when it went on the stock market, their strategy of making money made sense.

But getting someone to log onto a game doesn't say anything about them except they like this game. So don't both trying to open them up to advertisers who will try to sell them ANYTHING! instead take what you know: they like this game enough to play it and sell them stuff TO DO WITH THE GAME! Sell merchandise, sell a single-player campaign episodically, sell server storage for their replays, sell item slots, hats, weapons customisations (that other players can see), tag customisation, etc

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Karloff said:
According to the patent, the invention is intended to be used with "computers, graphic workstations,"
Because when I'm doing Photoshop work I really want to have to watch a freakin' ad. And I can see them try leverage Trusted Computing to make sure you don't have something that subverts the ad....

Gods, I'm starting to think Doctorow was right when he said there was a coming war on general computing [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg].

Karloff said:
television, entertainment systems, video game systems, DVRs, media players, home servers,
We now interrupt Grandpa's Message for Suzy's Fifth Birthday Party.mpg for an ad for Kotex.

Karloff said:
video game consoles and the like." The code that transmits the commercials can be hidden away on removable storage devices,
So it's a virus?

Karloff said:
According to the patent, you'll know it's happening when "the game slows down...the user knows to get ready for a commercial,
By swearing and turning off the game. Or going to the bathroom I guess.

Karloff said:
the game then stops, and the commercial is played. After the commercial, the game resumes." In some instances the game "may resume by slowly starting again, which allows the user to remember where he or she was in the game."
Meanwhile, your ass got smoked because you were playing a shooter online.

This? THIS is one of the many reasons I HATE SONY.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Treblaine said:
Terminate421 said:

The problem with that is the developers then have a conflict of interest to make loading times shorter as they will get less ad money. There will be incentive (usually applied by the Publishers) to make more loading times and do NOTHING to make them shorter. The ads with be obnoxious, they will make noises, they will be TOTALLY irrelevant like selling dish washing maintenance to someone playing a first person shooter.

You may think free-to-play gives incentive to sell over-powered game breaking weapons but that is contrary to their objective and that is to get as many people as technologically possible to download the game and play it and keep them hooked. That will not work if they are being constantly killed by rich players who bought OP guns. No, You sell them EVERYTHING about the game except what interferes with players to play fair games against each other. That means no to OP weapons AND no to premium map packs. But anything else from cosmetic, convenience, mod-options, re-play, etc can be sold or earned slowly.

Games are in a POOR position to advertise as they don't really know ANYTHING about their player.

Google is in a good position to make money off advertising as it does a good job both as guessing their interests based on their searches and also on tracking individual users. This is why Google stock exploded when it went on the stock market, their strategy of making money made sense.

But getting someone to log onto a game doesn't say anything about them except they like this game. So don't both trying to open them up to advertisers who will try to sell them ANYTHING! instead take what you know: they like this game enough to play it and sell them stuff TO DO WITH THE GAME! Sell merchandise, sell a single-player campaign episodically, sell server storage for their replays, sell item slots, hats, weapons customisations (that other players can see), tag customisation, etc
Then do it at this screen:

One idea is to do the advertisement the way Microsoft is advertising on the Xbox360 home page, there is a video constantly playing ad's but you don't hear sound until you scroll over to it. Though, the ads now are just ads for Halo 3 and Fable 2 (I guess its for games that are available for download in the marketplace)

By the way, I should mention that I only own a PC and Xbox, however, that does not mean that I won't comment here considering how it may come to other places.

So long as they don't do ads when I am busy trying to figure out the best way to take out a Tank with only a Plasma Pistol, I am okay. Also, the ads must happen when I am not touching my controller, not when I am busy picking a different playlist.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So it looks like we may have next generation consoles that block used games and have adverts in the game that interupt you playing. You know I think I made the right call jumping ship to pc and I imagine if they really go throw with this more console refugee will be fleeing to pc.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Rex Dark said:
They better keep their ads of my stuff.
I'm already paying for the hardware and the software.
I don't need ads on my pc.
Wait... Does Sony produce anything for PC?
The last time they tried they introduced malware that opened a massive hole in your computers security, and as a result thousands of peoples computers got trashed.

We will have to, once again, turn to pirates for the optimal gaming experience.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Two words: Fuck off.

Sorry, but if I've payed ANY sort of money into a product, you shouldn't be showing me mandatory advertisements. You're treading on thin ice here Sony. I have no qualms dropping consoles all together and focusing on my PC.

Terminate421 said:

They did this same shit in Wipeout HD, look at how long that lasted. They claimed that the ads didn't affect load times, but that was quickly disproven. Afterward they took the ads out because of all the complaints they were getting. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-removes-in-game-advert-that-increased-load-times)

It's simple, if you've paid any amount of money into a service or product, that service or product should not have any intrusive advertisements. You don't see Netflix shoving ads in before you get to watch your show/movie.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
so we pay for the games, then were forced to watch adverts at random intervals?

Lol. Oh wait your being serious....

There really trying there best to make piracy seem even more appealing. Not only will you not have to pay, you will get a better experience. Well Done Sony, another win for team stupid.

On a side note this is not going to happen...

and i have to add how frustrating do you think it will be just to see your game slow down while your playing it, you've all seen lag before, well this is going to be intentional lag with a advert on top, your not going to buy the products, your just going to be annoyed as all hell.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
One has to do with quality & the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers. A shitty console port is a half assed attempt to drive a few more sales by branching the games range. Most PC gamers tend to avoid shitty console ports because most of them buy online. When buying online you tend to have more than ample amount of time to do a Google search and find all the caveats to a game. Dumbing down is just a symptom of expanding the audience & PC gamers know the hardest of all video games. We have some of the hardest games on the market available ONLY on PC. The only dumbed down games PC gamers tend to get are those that are shitty console ports. And PC gamers tend to have a lot of notice when that is the case.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm confused. How does this have anything to do with piracy? If the ad technology is in the system's hardware, how would whether your game disc being legit or some crap ripped off the internet matter?

If anything, I feel sorry for the game devs that would inevitably have to build their games with this in mind. It's bound to complicated the process somehow, especially given this "slowing down" crap that's being implemented.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
One has to do with quality & the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers.
Well then, I'm totally mistaken. Surely it won't happen if one is a quality issue and the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:

By doing that, you're still sending a message that the adware program works.

My stance is as such: Don't buy the game. Don't pirate the game. Don't play the game. It's only if we stop such habits (and let them know!) that things change. I know it's hard to get over the self-indulgent mindset of the average gamer, but at some point "I want it!" can no longer be a justification for taking this kind of crap.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
One has to do with quality & the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers.
Well then, I'm totally mistaken. Surely it won't happen if one is a quality issue and the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers!
Yeah because i said nothing else regarding why those reasons were invalid. Must mean fuck all to someone as wise as you!

As i said, PC gamers tend to know its a shitty console port. They also don't have as many dumbed down games outside the shitty console port department.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah because i said nothing else regarding why those reasons were invalid. Must mean fuck all to someone as wise as you!
they kind of were invalid. For example:

As i said, PC gamers tend to know its a shitty console port. They also don't have as many dumbed down games outside the shitty console port department.
Which, in no way, impacts whether or not this would occur in gaming. You're making a point related to the specific example which does not change the fact that it is done, no matter how much warning or how poorly received it is.

Could you please speak to a meaningful reason for any of your objections being relevant to the prospect of them trying?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
they kind of were invalid. For example:

Which, in no way, impacts whether or not this would occur in gaming. You're making a point related to the specific example which does not change the fact that it is done, no matter how much warning or how poorly received it is.

Could you please speak to a meaningful reason for any of your objections being relevant to the prospect of them trying?
Means fuck all to them trying. Wont stop them from producing a half assed port in an attempt to make some more cash. The ones making these ports, the ones making dumbed down games, yeah they dont give a fuck about PC gaming. They view it as a smaller money bag than the consoles. Its a hostile environment so they dont commit much strength to the plan. They dont even see the success they hoped for as a minimum, so i have no clue why they keep doing it.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
You know, this would be slightly alright if the games were free. But, they won't be, will they? They'll charge us up the ass and then the media will call us entitled when we, rightfully, complain about it.

Captcha: 'Labour of love' pff.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Dear Sony and potential purchasers of advertising time on Sony's new console: I appreciate your willingness to save me time in choosing which products to buy. By completely removing yourselves from the pool of vendors I'm willing to engage with in the marketplace, you've greatly simplified my commercial decision-making. Thank you.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Treblaine said:
Terminate421 said:

Then do it at this screen:

One idea is to do the advertisement the way Microsoft is advertising on the Xbox360 home page, there is a video constantly playing ad's but you don't hear sound until you scroll over to it. Though, the ads now are just ads for Halo 3 and Fable 2 (I guess its for games that are available for download in the marketplace)

By the way, I should mention that I only own a PC and Xbox, however, that does not mean that I won't comment here considering how it may come to other places.

So long as they don't do ads when I am busy trying to figure out the best way to take out a Tank with only a Plasma Pistol, I am okay. Also, the ads must happen when I am not touching my controller, not when I am busy picking a different playlist.
That screen is a lobby for a player-hosted game, that shouldn't even exist in 2012 let alone even 2002. Dedicated servers were the bread and butter of PC gaming, now someone console publishers have convinced millions to host games ON THEIR OWN SYSTEMS with lag going up from around 50ms to around 150ms on average.

Mercifully, in the UK the Xbox dashboard doesn't bombard you with any out-of-system ads, though I understand in America there are ads for everything from cars to air-conditioning units. They aren't remotely targeted, they have no idea what the user's interests, desites or budget is.

I'm just telling you the deeper side of ads: the conflict of interests aspect and the efficiency aspect.

Ads should be sold in places where you know they will be seen by people who will appreciate them. So in a woman's magazine like cosmopolitan that's the place to sell women's makeup. A bus stop is a good place to put an ad for an economical car, as that is someone who wants to go some place and has to take the bus.

You will care about ads when they start compromising you gameplay experience in between killing tanks.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
if there will be ads in future consoles does that mean they will be cheaper...but it will defently put the souless in console.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Dear Sony,

Fuck off.

-Everyone

Seriously though, who buys a DVD/Blu-Ray and thinks "well this is great but I wish it had commercials just like TV!" Absolutely fucking no-one.

People can't even stand commercials on TV so why do Sony think we'll tolerate it while watching a DVD which we purchase for the express point of NOT HAVING TO WATCH COMMERCIALS!!!!!

And don't even get me started on games. Just think of the last game you played, think about the most edge-of-your-seat moment and think about it slowing down until a commercial shows. Does that feel right? Does that seem like something you could tolerate?

The correct answer is No, Sony. Perhaps that's their plan though, make people so annoyed that they destroy their consoles and then they have to buy a new one.

PERFECTLY STABLE ECONOMIC CYCLE!

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
You know what? As much as I like Playstation, THIS IS NOT OKAY. Ads on TV? Fine. How else are channels going to get paid from people watching their broadcasts? Same with ads on the internet. But if you start interrupting my Disgaea, BlazBlue or Tales of Graces for some stupid SODA AD, I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A SONY PRODUCT AGAIN, even if it means missing out on new Kingdom Hearts, Persona or Disgaea games. Seriously. I will give up some of my most favourite games in order to send a message to Sony. I've paid for my console, I've paid for my games. If you start interrupting my paid content with advertisements for things that I don't care about, I will flip out. You've gotten your money, now leave me alone.

... It is very difficult to explain how I truly feel without resorting to profanity. I will continue to enjoy using my Playstation 3 for now, but if this is implemented, there will be hell to pay.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Burst6 said:
If it lets me play games for free than I'm all for it!

If this is for paid games then no, I'm not getting a ps4.
I agree 100% ads in game really bother me for some reason. I didn't mind them in games like Crackdown where they were on the billboards,but I'd have to draw the line if it stops my game for an ad. I still refuse to play Wipeout HD because every time I play it I have to watch a damn commercial before I can play.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Oh the fun we would have if this happened during a multiplayer game.
Get into a good dog fight in battlefield, cut to commercial, come back with a stalling plane slamming into a mountain.

Even if the games were free, Sony can go fuck themselves if they add this to any hardware.

Draskinn

May 22, 2012
Wow I'm kind of surprised nobody seems to have hit on this yet but here goes.

I noticed a lot of you saying you'd rage if they interrupted a game you "paid" for but this would be ok in a "free" game.

The problem is your idea of what the words "free" and "paid" mean are not the same as Sony's idea.

If I buy a used game I may have "paid" for it, but I paid GameStop or Joe next door, I didn't pay Sony so to them my "paid" game is a "free" game... see where I'm going with this?

I can totally see this being the next avenue of attack on the used game market. Right now they are doing the online pass thing for used games with multiplayer but how do you get folks to buy a "pass" for single player used games? Why add ads to used games of course! Want to play without interruption? Well just buy "new" OR buy an "ad pass"!

Hate to say it but I can totally see this happening. The online passes have already set the precedent.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Tanis said:
Dear Sony,
Please keep acting like cunts and activity shitty on your user base, it's great!

-Sincerity, Nintendo
Dear Sony,
At Microsoft we may not have the greatest GPUs in our gaming systems compared to you. Now we never will have to.
Sincerely Microsoft

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
A brilliant example of advertising not even trying to adapt to the 21st century. Seriously, theres so many great new ways to advertise in a video games, and some advertisers still think "we will just put a advertisement video in there at a random point, because thats how TV does it". Apparently no one does anything at those marketing courses.

rob_simple

Aug 8, 2010
There is no way a company could be stupid enough to implement this in the way the OP suggests, because it would piss off every single gaming demographic there is. The lifers would rage hard and bombard Sony with complaints and lead boycotts that might actually work for once, and the casuals would either stop gaming and go find something else to do or just see what's new in Farmville.

If this was used in the same way that a lot of apps do, though (i.e. you can download the full game from PSN with ads then pay to have them removed) then I think it would work pretty well, and I actually see that being Sony's idea since the App Store has been a pretty big damn success.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I wonder how the hacker groups are gonna come up with ways to bypass this if it comes out...

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Can I?

Please?

Yay.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE.

I'm done now.

OT: That...Really is crappy. Hope they seriously rethink the effectiveness of this idea.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Alternatively: I could interrupt a Sony meeting whilst they suck my dick.

Paid for the game and the console, not paying with ads as well.

Evil Smurf said:
Tanis said:
Dear Sony,

-Sincerity, Nintendo
Dear Sony,
At Microsoft we may not have the greatest GPUs in our gaming systems compared to you. Now we never will have to.
Sincerely Microsoft
Dear Console Gamers,

You know you want to come play with us.

Sincerely,

PC Gamers xoxo

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
The7Sins said:
Really? Ads to interrupt games? Thanks for letting me know you were this much of a company of jackasses Sony. And to think I was just about to finally cave and buy a PS3 so I can get some good JRPGs (most via the PSN). Now however I honestly can say I despise you Sony more than ever. Hell I now consider EA as having more honor and integrity than you (did I just say something nice about EA? washes mouth out with soap). You can now join EA, and Capcom as companies I am blacklisting and will never give money to again.
You can at least wait for the console to come out before you bad mouth Sony. There's no evidence to suggest that this patent will amount to anything.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
AndrewC said:

If this goes ahead they can say goodbye to their consu- HEY TRY NEW GENERIC COLA 9999 CENTS- mer base.
Considering your avatar is also an xbox 360 avatar (which I'm assuming is yours) your opinion on anything Sony related is invalidated due to an obvious pre-existing bias. No matter HOW correct you happen to be.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:

You said:

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy.

I am confused because your stance has apparently changed between these two posts.
Personal stance versus what I find acceptable for others to do. I really should have clarified.

I personally will not even pirate a game if I do not have any intentions of buying it, but for people that do buy it I support piracy of a non-fucked version.

That makes more sense, right, I'm operating on minimal sleep right now, so shit makes sense in my head, but I'm having trouble translating it to written word.

Edit: Just to prove my point I posted my reply halfway down in the quote boxes without realizing it....

Edit two: and I've had to fix this post twice since posting it already....

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Fayathon said:
Ads in loading screens? Fine, but stopping my game in the middle of it is a great way to ensure that I never pay for a game ever again.

Hell, if Sony does this you can garantee that their console will be jail broken and pirates will have a field day with new releases within a week. Though if I am right, then it could be as simple as replacing the RAM or GPU of your console if they become mini-computers next generation.

an I would not blame the pirates one bit.

I paid upwards of $60 for a game, a game that I want to play, but you are going to interrupt my experience to sell me some new deodorizer for my pet hamster?

Get fucked is what I will say, before donating that console to G4TW, Razor1911, or some other cracking community so they can fuck your advertisements over.

Putting ad's in game isn't that big of a deal, but if you STOP me from playing that game, them why the fuck did I buy it in the first place?

If I wanted to see ad's, I would be watching television.

What if I was in the middle of a multiplayer match in CoD: 7: THE FUTURE IS BROWN STILL, and I stop because I have to know how I can bulk buy Bulgarian field rats for the low price of $500 per metric tonne?

Not only would that ruin my experience, but that would cause massive rage for the playerbase.

Sony, you do stupid shit all the time, doing this will cause the next Playstation to be the next Virtua Boy.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
*Playing Fallout 3*

Me- "Holy shit, super mutants incoming!"
*Super Mutant squad marches forward* S.M.- "RAAAAAAAAAaaaAAHHHH!!"
Me- Fuck, Fuck- *Goes to inventory, takes out Fat-Man Launcher*
Me- "Take this, bitches!!"
*Fires Fat M-

"Hey, it's Vince, from Sham-wow, you'll be saying "WOW" every time you use it."

"MOTHER FUC-"

"It's a pillow. It's a pet. It's a PILLOW PET!"

In other words, I say No. Shame on Sony for being money-grubbing bastards.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
IF and ONLY IF it ends up being "$60 for game without ads, free for game with ads," then it'd be acceptable, because, hey, free game!

Otherwise, I'd tell them where to politely shove their advertisements.

I'm completely fine with in-game ads, though, like in Battlefield and other modern games. There would absolutely be a McDonalds or Burger King right inside Operation Metro's city sections, and to NOT have them breaks realism.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.o? what ....

*reads again*

are fucking kidding me?

*sighs*

well, guess I'm really not getting a next gen console. oh well, way things have been last few years, no loss there

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
You best be prepared to make all of my games free from now on, Sony. ... That'd actually be pretty sweet. I do love free stuff, and don't mind inconveniences as much when given things.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Racecarlock said:
Hey jackasses, one of the main reasons we play games over watching TV is that games don't randomly get interrupted by advertising! This idea is pure bullshit.
This.

I'm fucking sick and tired of every single industry shoving ads down our throats. We are QUITE capable of finding out about your products by going to your websites or watching the commercials in-between shows on TV.

This just made me decide I'm not gonna buy the PS4.

soultrain117

Dec 4, 2010
In 2017 news Americas Obesity rate has dropped to a record low. Health officials say this is due to the now out of business Sony who in 2012 made what analyst are calling the line in the sand GPU which would interrupt movies, games, or even music at random intervals. Experts say the hardware made media so un-engaging that people decided to just *pause commercial*

(This add brought to you buy Sony's craptacular GPU. Feeling thirsty and want to stay in shape but still indulge try our new Coke -30 now with negative 30 calories)
*resumes new report*

deal with their shitty lives and go outside.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Anyone want to make bets on how long after this goes live that the first PS3 adblockers will come into existence?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
So...let me paint this scenario:

I'm playing (Insert favorite FPS game here) and all of a sudden, an ad pops up. Not only would I yell at the screen in unbearable rage, but what happens to my character? Does he turn into a sitting duck? Does he obtain an invisible ad-related shield?

I don't know what people think. Do they think that just because they're advertizing the new Coca Cola Crazy-Yo with 1000 calories I'm suddenly gonna get the urge to buy it? Nope, not really. it certainly doesn't work every time I'm on Youtube. Whenever I'm there and an ad pops up, either I wait until the "Skip ad" button pops up or I'll just go do something else before the REAL reason why I'm there starts.
Look, I love being able to play online for free and all that chiz. So...I suppose if you must add ads at some point, that's fine. But do it in the loading screens, maybe once you switch games, and so on. Not in the middle of the freakin' gameplay!

This whole next gen. of consoles is shaping out to be a monstrosity. I hope these are all just crackpot theories.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Woodsey said:
Alternatively: I could interrupt a Sony meeting whilst they suck my dick.

Paid for the game and the console, not paying with ads as well.

Evil Smurf said:
Tanis said:
Dear Sony,

-Sincerity, Nintendo
Dear Sony,
Sincerely Microsoft
Dear Console Gamers,

You know you want to come play with us.

Sincerely,

PC Gamers xoxo
Dear PC Games:

I truly want to join you but I find it impossible to not be in my living room lying lazily on my couch a couple of feet away from the TV not holding a familiar and comfortable controller in my hands. I'm just wired that way. But I love you platonically.

Sincerely,

A disgruntled console gamer

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
If I'm seriously in the middle of an action packed moment and Sony decides to interrupt me with a freakin ad, I'm not interested in their products or services.

Worse yet, they could do micro transactions to let us skip the ad. EVIL, charging $.20 to skip or whatever.

Jan 22, 2011
all of this is still unproven talk people, wait and see for e3 this year to actually see what sony is planning. Rumors can fly around all they want until they are actually confirmed I don't really care.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if they would make it pop up like in the virtual hud somewhere out of the way, like a dead space transmission. Not too big to be in the way, but big enough to make you notice. Either that or they could put in virtual billboards with ads that move. That would grab my attention enough to maybe want something. If the ads are well placed, and don't hinder gameplay, i'm all for it. But if they are loud and in the way, then i'll probably just stick to my PC and Vita.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Nope not okay for me, if this and the used game block go through I will not be purchasing the console under any circumstances. It's okay in free games because that is one of the ways they make money but for a 60 dollar game I pay for I will not tolerate being advertised to. And if this does somehow infect all gaming I will make it my personal goal to NEVER purchase any product or service advertised

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Its seems as though the RD department just comes up with idaes to detract consumers; cant play used games (dont care personally, I buy new) and now this shit.

What next, a boxing glove just pops out and puches you in the face when you turn it on?

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
I think this is perfectly fine as long as I can spontaneously pop into any of Sony's employee's homes during their personal time to show them this every 10-15 minutes.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I dare you Sony, try this. In the words of Samuel L. Jackson, I double dare you ************(s). The guaranteed backlash would be hilarious.

Who comes up with this shit anyway? Does this person (or god forbid a group of people) get paid for it? I mean, after seeing the multitudes of shows getting pirated and watched on Netflix and the like and TV going in the dumpster thanks largely to ads, who the hell is stupid enough to pitch this idea and what idiot is even more stupid than that to pay them and patent it?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Means fuck all to them trying.
You mean, my point in the first place? I'm glad you agree.

That was basically it.
Oh. So it was. Combined with my point that it was worthless for them to try this ends rather nicely.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
*Playing Fallout 3*

Me- "Holy shit, super mutants incoming!"
*Super Mutant squad marches forward* S.M.- "RAAAAAAAAAaaaAAHHHH!!"
Me- Fuck, Fuck- *Goes to inventory, takes out Fat-Man Launcher*
Me- "Take this, bitches!!"
*Fires Fat M-

"Hey, it's Vince, from Sham-wow, you'll be saying "WOW" every time you use it."

"MOTHER FUC-"

"It's a pillow. It's a pet. It's a PILLOW PET!"

In other words, I say No. Shame on Sony for being money-grubbing bastards.
Ahahaha reading your post made me think of a far better way for this to go down, what if the commercial actors where actually in the game itself and they just showed up while you where in the middle of a fight to pitch there stuff... Yadda yadda yadda they die in the end.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
For F2P games, not a problem. But if I pay for the game and it's interrupted for ads, i.e. not simple product placement (which I also hate, but to a lesser extent), GFY.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well obviously the kids who put out the image that playing games makes you Violent.

Lets just face it here, PC has moddable file, Steam and Origin, Onlive, modifiable case, modifiable hardrive, modifiable speakers, modifiable graphics-cards, modifiable keyboards and modifiable monitors and mice.

What does console gaming have on its side. Ease of just putting in a game doesn't count anymore because you all now got your own CD-Keys to put in, so, really nothing. Gimmicky add-ons?

While on topic, the more immature are the ones who put it into people's minds like Jack Thompson that Kids playing games = future serial killers waiting to happen by getting angry at games.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
MarlonBlazed said:
neonsword13-ops said:
Ahahaha reading your post made me think of a far better way for this to go down, what if the commercial actors where actually in the game itself and they just showed up while you where in the middle of a fight to pitch there stuff... Yadda yadda yadda they die in the end.
That would be great. XD

But if Billy Mays showed up, I would try my hardest to recruit him.

I could just see him killing raiders with some type of cleaning product.

[small]I have way too much free time...[/small]

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
GeneralFungi said:
The7Sins said:
You can at least wait for the console to come out before you bad mouth Sony. There's no evidence to suggest that this patent will amount to anything.
More importantly, this patent was, for all intents and purposes, first filed in 2006. Given the filing date of the original patent, the obvious implication is that this tech was intended for use in the PS3; if Sony actually intended to make use of this technology, they'd have already done so sometime within the last six years.

(Any patents relevant to their upcoming hardware will generally not have been filed yet - console patents are generally filed no earlier than a few months before the console hits the market.)

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Not a chance in hell. Even if they paid me to take the system and each game. I still wouldn't use it. My answer to Sony? Don't call me, I'll call you.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Tamrin said:
I think this is perfectly fine as long as I can spontaneously pop into any of Sony's employee's homes during their personal time to show them this every 10-15 minutes.

I don't think I've laughed so hard at a video in ages. Who the hell made this?

OT: If sony actually decides to do this they can blow it out their asses because I won't touch anything with their label on it ever again.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Y they no just use load screens? I mean, I'd be a little mad if it happened on a game I payed good money for, but interrupting gameplay is kind of a dick move.

I know gamers are legendary for putting up with shit, but if they put this in a paid-for game, there's no way this would fly with anyone.

Nov 24, 2010
I've never pirated a game in my life, I support the developers. But if this shit makes it's way into the games that I pay for, then I'll never purchase a game again.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
They could only do this if the price was reduced and it didnt effect gameplay, however considering its designed to interrupt gameplay that doesnt seem like the reality. I never thought they would do this sort of thing, they might get away with it as well.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I've been fan of Sony consoles for my whole life. My first console was PS1, then I had a PS2, now I have a PS3. I still enjoy them and am grateful to Sony for providing me with greatest gaming expiriences I had.
But if PS4 will utilize this technology, then I'll switch to PC gaming completely.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
And then you wonder why piracy is so appealing to people.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Something has to eventually click in their heads before they go through with something that fucking stupid.

Jun 7, 2010
Crono1973 said:
If this happened i would seriously fucking burn my sony products, renounce my console ways and become a PC gam- haha nah, i'd just get an xbox.
LOL, you would get the console that is already overrun with ads. You really think next gen they are going to have less ads?
Good point, well i'm certainly not getting any nintendo crap so... Well, looks like i'll just have to find something better to do.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
If prices become almost negligible for games and the commercials are, say, during genuine loading screens that's okay I guess. But stopping the experience so companies can plug their rubbish, no way!

Griever

Sleeping Lionheart
Mar 30, 2012
So, because this is going to be built into the hardware it seems like there will be no mitigating factors as to when the adverts will actually appear? Looks like a whole new multiplayer experience is inbound...hey man you lagging? Nah, it's a goddamn advert...

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:
Good point, well i'm certainly not getting any nintendo crap so... Well, looks like i'll just have to find something better to do.
Sad but true. This is the harm that comes from gaming getting too mainstream and it needs to be brought down a few notches.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
EclipseoftheDarkSun said:
If prices become almost negligible for games and the commercials are, say, during genuine loading screens that's okay I guess. But stopping the experience so companies can plug their rubbish, no way!
You'll just see longer loading screens because longer ads = more money.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
If they actually do put an advertisement for some shitty product in while i'm zooming down my sniper scope aligning that perfect shot when suddenly the screen goes black and some cleaning product pops up screaming 'BUY ME!! NAOW!!' - What will happen is I'll rage at Sony, I'll rage at the game for doing this (even though it's not its fault)and I'll most definitively rage at the add, vowing I'll never buy that piece of crap that thought it was so important to annoy the hell out of me while I'm having fun. Come on, you don't put adds right inside an action scene from a good movie do you? Bruce Willis going 'Yippie Ka Y--" BUY THIS ORANGE SODA! IT HAS 0% SUGAR!!!" "yeeee mother fucker"

Yeah, I don't see this happening.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
People! we dont know enough yet for all we care it will just be the F2P games which sony is probably opening the door for as we speak.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Syzygy23 said:
AndrewC said:

Considering your avatar is also an xbox 360 avatar (which I'm assuming is yours) your opinion on anything Sony related is invalidated due to an obvious pre-existing bias. No matter HOW correct you happen to be.
I actually prefer PC gaming, it's just ye olde avatar :p

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Just because they have a patent doesn't mean that they are going to implement it any time soon.
They have filed plenty of patents over the past years, only a portion of which has been implemented.

Looking on the bright side of life, I believe that this system will be used in free to play content on the PSN, like with apps on the Android platform for example;
You have a paid and free version, the free version has ads but the paid doesn't.

This would certainly be a good move for Sony, as proven with android, a lot of revenue can be generated if you offer games for free with ads in them!

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Okay, when I said I didn't mind ads in my games, that's not what I had in mind. Game immersion is going to suffer for this. Big time. Can't we just play games in peace!?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This hurts. What I would like to see next gen? A three disc changer. I don't like getting up to switch from Rune Factory to Red Faction.

But ads man....that just hurts.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Funny adverts in loading screens seems like a good idea, fun for me and extra cash for the makers. However if you interrupt my actual gaming with ads, I will be taking the game and console back and demanding a full refund.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
GeneralFungi said:
The7Sins said:
Or I can go with logic and note that Sony would not have requested this patent unless they were dead set on this course of action. And until they prove that it will not affect games ever (which is unlikely knowing them) they can be blacklisted by me.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
The only in-game advertising I'm willing to put up with is when they stick a billboard up somewhere or a radio ad plays in-game. That I can deal with. But actively stopping me from playing? Aw hell naw.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
yeah, as others have said i can stand some product placement or even a add before...but during a game, no that's not where you put an add if you want me to buy your product.

interrupting a game i am currently playing for an add will get me to start a list of companies and products to never buy and write an email to in the hopes they will pull their add so i have fewer interruptions

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
Crono1973 said:
That's what I meant by *genuine* loading screens :)

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Syzygy23 said:
AndrewC said:

Because someone can't own more than one console? Or not be a rabid fanboy/girl?

There's this thing people do, it might blow your mind, but see... most people don't shit all over things they don't own. Amazing, right?

You crack me up.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
If this technology is implemented during the next generation of consoles then we will probably see it being offered in the form of a cheaper console, which is partly subsidized by advertising revenue alongside the offering of a premium product sans-advertising. It could also be used to generate revenue in lieu of paying for a subscription service like the Playstation Network or Microsoft Live.

This might be overly optimistic but they might have learned from their past mistakes with the launch of the PS3. Generating ad revenue from an advertising-enabled Playstation 4 variant might allow gamers who would have otherwise been priced out of the market to enjoy the new generation of console that much sooner then their financial circumstances would've allowed them to do in past console generations. All they'd need to ensure is a good solid starting line-up which would hook consumers into buying the ad-enabled PS4 early in the console's life cycle rather than wait it out as usual and buy in when the price drops a couple of years in.

All pure baseless speculation of course.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
DustyDrB said:
Being a Marketing student, I have been told that these in-between ads, especially for online/on-demand content, have already been pretty much discredited as "best practice". For a reason. Maybe Sony just doesn't read the same journals I do...

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:

...and I meant that's not going to happen. Like how genuine "made after the games release" DLC turned into DLC being made alongside the main game.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Karloff said:
After all, when you buy a media player, you don't ask where the manufacturer got their GPU.
Heh. If Sony or any other company is stupid enough to try this, believe me, folks will start asking very quickly and start saying, "Y'know, I was going to buy your wonderful new product but it appears my enthusiasm has been permanently soiled now that I know that it has built-in spam which will interrupt my entertainment with pleas for money."

To paraphrase what many have said before me, if you want to advertise in game using billboards as part of the natural scenery, go nuts. If you want to put radio ads on my virtual car as I drive around the game, feel free. If you want to actually take the time to put a television ad on the TVs in the shop window as I stalk past with a shotgun and strong desire to mete out revenge on the floating electric baddie on the corner, I will applaud your ingenuity.

But don't you DARE put my game on pause and say, "Buy Flan! Fantastic Flan!" or I will send your infernal device back to the flames that spawned it.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I'd be for this if they knocked the price of their system and games down.
Because you know, Ads pay for stuff. Small sites use Ads to keep their stuff free. And I'm okay with that, hell even YouTube uses Ads to pay for server bills or something probably.

Actually, if you start showing me ads during loading screens and before I start a game, but games cost like $20-$30 I would be all for that because I can't afford entertainment these days.
But you know the system is still going to be expensive as shit, and the games will be $60 still, probably going to try and push $70 too in which I will explain to them my desire to shit in their soup and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I'm going to be paying for something that sells me stuff and makes my gameplay experience even worse than it already is?

Eat dicks sony. You were cool once... Once...

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
I have no problem with ads if they are integrated into games, like into billboards(imo it adds immersion since cities usually have those) or if the game is free, but this is just a really, really bad idea. I think I'll steer away from the next generation of consoles or at least from PS4.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
I wonder if all the people who say "I have no problem with ads if they are on loading screens" or "I have no problem with ads if they are in-game advertising (billboard, coke can, etc...)" understand the marketers will take advantage of their tolerance and before long 1/3 of the game time will be spent looking at ads. Just like the ad-ridden TV has become.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
And you probably thought it couldn't get more invasive than pre-video ads.

Theres no way this will fly anyway. Gamers are notorious these days for bending over and taking it when it comes to stuff like this (DRM, DLC, generally overpricing everything) since they're terrified of being called entitled or whatever. But this, good God. Theres just no way people will let this one go without a fight.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
But people, PSN is freeeee, isn't it?
"Entitled" I've used it so much I don't know what it means anymore but I depend on it to win all my arguments so I'm just going to call you all entitled.
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:

...and I meant that's not going to happen. Like how genuine "made after the games release" DLC turned into DLC being made alongside the main game.
Yea, but that became accepted pretty quickly, didn't it.
They would need to patent something else to ensure loading screens last at least 30 seconds.
I don't even think I have any crappy free phone games that interrupt the game for an ad.

Every bit of news I hear about the new consoles makes me NOT want to get one. If they overestimate the loyalty of their user base again, we could see another crash and another ancient video game burial ground filled with PS4s and Xbox 720s.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IamShmgeggy said:
I wonder if they would make it pop up like in the virtual hud somewhere out of the way, like a dead space transmission. Not too big to be in the way, but big enough to make you notice. Either that or they could put in virtual billboards with ads that move. That would grab my attention enough to maybe want something. If the ads are well placed, and don't hinder gameplay, i'm all for it. But if they are loud and in the way, then i'll probably just stick to my PC and Vita.
So... you didn't read the OP then?

"According to the patent, you'll know it's happening when "the game slows down...the user knows to get ready for a commercial, the game then stops, and the commercial is played. After the commercial, the game resumes." In some instances the game "may resume by slowly starting again, which allows the user to remember where he or she was in the game.""

They're talking about literally stopping your game in the middle of you doing something like, say, making a pin-point jump to a ledge in Uncharted or trying to get the perfect snipe on somebody in Call of Duty, or surrounded by enemies in Dark Souls, so that they can show you an ad and then throw you back into the middle of what you were doing.

OT: Well, this helps further my believe that the video game industry is going to hit another massive crash any year now. Considering Nintendo still seem to be stuck in the methods of yesteryear, maybe they'll be able to pull us out of this one too, seeing as they're pretty much the only company in recent memory that haven't been acting like massive, greedy tossers.

Also, intentionally introducing lag into a game, saying nothing of a commercial following it, is a great way to royally piss off your customers. The PS3 has a lot of frame-rate issues with newer games as it is, and launch titles (assuming this would be implemented in the PS4) are typically pretty buggy and wonky too because developers are still getting the feel for the system. Don't compound the issue by introducing something that's effectively a virus.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
IamShmgeggy said:
So... you didn't read the OP then?

"According to the patent, you'll know it's happening when "the game slows down...the user knows to get ready for a commercial, the game then stops, and the commercial is played. After the commercial, the game resumes." In some instances the game "may resume by slowly starting again, which allows the user to remember where he or she was in the game.""

They're talking about literally stopping your game in the middle of you doing something like, say, making a pin-point jump to a ledge in Uncharted or trying to get the perfect snipe on somebody in Call of Duty, or surrounded by enemies in Dark Souls, so that they can show you an ad and then throw you back into the middle of what you were doing.

OT: Well, this helps further my believe that the video game industry is going to hit another massive crash any year now. Considering Nintendo still seem to be stuck in the methods of yesteryear, maybe they'll be able to pull us out of this one too, seeing as they're pretty much the only company in recent memory that haven't been acting like massive, greedy tossers.

Also, intentionally introducing lag into a game, saying nothing of a commercial following it, is a great way to royally piss off your customers. The PS3 has a lot of frame-rate issues with newer games as it is, and launch titles (assuming this would be implemented in the PS4) are typically pretty buggy and wonky too because developers are still getting the feel for the system. Don't compound the issue by introducing something that's effectively a virus.
I was well aware of what the OP said and what the Patent details are. I was merely stating what would be tolerable in my opinion. Honestly i think this is all rumors and nonsense til the next gen is announced. Everyone is up in arms about no used games, and new DRM. I say let em try. When every company goes bankrupt for trying to force stupid nonsense on customers, then maybe we can have a say

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
GonzoGamer said:
But people, PSN is freeeee, isn't it?
"Entitled" I've used it so much I don't know what it means anymore but I depend on it to win all my arguments so I'm just going to call you all entitled.
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:

Yea, but that became accepted pretty quickly, didn't it.
They would need to patent something else to ensure loading screens last at least 30 seconds.
I don't even think I have any crappy free phone games that interrupt the game for an ad.

Every bit of news I hear about the new consoles makes me NOT want to get one. If they overestimate the loyalty of their user base again, we could see another crash and another ancient video game burial ground filled with PS4s and Xbox 720s.
I don't know much about patents but a 30 second timer isn't exactly hard to program. It's a few lines of code. I am not even sure you could patent a 30 second timer.

If you want the loading bar to take 30 seconds so it appears that it's actually loading for 30 secs, that's just as easy. You use a fake loading bar the fills up 33% every 10 seconds.

I agree, right now the Nextbox looks very unappealing because I KNOW there will be as many or more ads as the 360 has (which is already over the top). If the PS4 follows the same path, well, it's either WiiU or nothing.

=y

May 11, 2012
Well, congratulations Sony. With one idea you have completely lost my interest in your next console.

Maybe I will see what the Wii U has to offer instead.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IamShmgeggy said:
I was well aware of what the OP said and what the Patent details are. I was merely stating what would be tolerable in my opinion. Honestly i think this is all rumors and nonsense til the next gen is announced. Everyone is up in arms about no used games, and new DRM. I say let em try. When every company goes bankrupt for trying to force stupid nonsense on customers, then maybe we can have a say
Fair enough. I'm not usually one to jump on to the whole speculation train, really, but it has just seemed lately that most of the big publishers and Sony/Microsoft just can't do anything to project a positive image. I don't honestly believe that Sony would do something like this, but if they did...

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
shrekfan246 said:
IamShmgeggy said:
Fair enough. I'm not usually one to jump on to the whole speculation train, really, but it has just seemed lately that most of the big publishers and Sony/Microsoft just can't do anything to project a positive image. I don't honestly believe that Sony would do something like this, but if they did...
Someone said the patent dates back to 2006. I believe Sony would have done it with the PS3 if it had sold better but as it was, they couldn't afford to piss people off (even though they have done a few other things to piss people off). I think Sony intends to use it eventually.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I must question: Who the FUCK would willingly put up with this shit in a product they PAID FOR?

TV and internet shows, I see why that works (cable TV is fucking stupid though, and contradictory to its original premise).

Money isn't magically flying out of my pocket when I turn my TV on or watch some online show. They're fighting over ratings to pay for the cost of programming, or ad-hits from traffic. Fine. That's how they make money.

But with a game you paid for? Totally unnecessary. It's just ruining the experience (THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT OF PLAYING) you're paying for the game just randomly cuts to a commercial.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
One thing everyone is missing as well is this would require an always online console so the ads can be updated over time

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
getoffmycloud said:
One thing everyone is missing as well is this would require an always online console so the ads can be updated over time
...and I am betting that you won't be able to opt-out be disconnecting from the internet.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Kalezian said:
What if I was in the middle of a multiplayer match in CoD: 7: THE FUTURE IS BROWN STILL, and I stop because I have to know how I can bulk buy Bulgarian field rats for the low price of $500 per metric tonne?
What the fuck? What do you have against Bulgaria? And field rats... Seriously??? You may not know it, but people don't like it when you insult their country.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I find it highly unlikely that anyone would implement a system like that for paid games. It does, however, offer an opportunity for a company like Sony to offer free games/extended demos that are advertising supported, which is pretty much the norm in the smartphone market.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I haven't bought a Sony console since the ps2, the giant brick-like one, but I'd join the army that stormed Sony's offices with torches and pitchforks.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Well, if this is just going to be some new way to monetize free to play games, I don't mind it. If they really have the balls to insert ads into sixty dollar games, then I will have absolutely no problem joining the protests in front of Sony HQ.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
I wont support this if only for the fact that no company anywhere seems to have the ability to match the sounds level of the advertisement to that of the media it is interrupting. Seriously, fiddling with sound levels every time an advertisement comes on drives me bloody insane.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Oh god, this is so terrible. Advertising is the bane of capitalism and the free market, as well as media and culture in general. The world would be way better without it. Anyone who disagrees, come at me, please.

Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DonTsetsi said:
Kalezian said:
What the fuck? What do you have against Bulgaria? And field rats... Seriously??? You may not know it, but people don't like it when you insult their country.

I dont know, why would I have a need for a metric tonne of field rats, regardless if they are from Bulgaria?

[sub]would it of been funnier had I said from Romania?[/sub]

..... but then what if someone from Romania came up and was offended that I changed the joke to their country?

hold on, must check the map for a country that has no internet access so I can make a joke without offending anyone...

okay, there are two countries, North Korea, which is off limits because they have nuclear weapons and LOL WE MAKE THREATS TO INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY FOR MAKING FUN OF OUR DEAR LEADER!

and then there is the western Sahara area in North Africa.

Okay, so what need would I have for....... five boxes of sand from a desert........

yea, that joke doesn't work as well...... I stand by my original joke.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Product placement can be used to enhance immersion in a game world. Who can imagine playing a game that takes place in Time Square NY where there aren't a million and one adds? Modern setting are already loaded down with ads, why the hell not? At that point it adds to the realism.

I figure this won't go anywhere and its protection for its own sake, you know in case someone else actually tries to release a gaming console/unit thingamabob with that idea and it takes off, then Sony will try to claim patent infringement or some such nonsense.

On the other hand, given how much the Gaming Industry likes to screw its players these days, who knows, could be coming to a PS4 near you. And if that remotely flies you can be sure Microsoft will either steal it, buy it or develop its own version for the whatever their next console will be called. I don't see this being integrated into PC hardware though. A lot of PC owners tend to know what they're buying these days, especially those who buy computers to game with, so they'd take one look at a GPU or CPU with that shit on it and walk.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Don't do it Sony. You're poking at a wasp hive if you continue with this train of thought.
Don't. Do it.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Oh my fucking God, are you people actually justifying and supporting this sort of abusive business practice? That's it, I'm done with gaming. I refuse to be part of a community that would sooner jump off a fucking cliff than defend its rights. I'm never going to pirate, buy or play a game ever again. Enjoy being fucked in the ass by the likes of Sony and Microsoft.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Cyanide pill. If they implement this into new games on the PS3 and Vita they're swallowing that pill. The shit storm would be bigger than the ME3 debacle. I'm not a sony guy anymore, but this worries me that it could spread.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Terminate421 said:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928112834/battlefield/images/5/59/Operation_Metro_Rush_Loading_Screen_-_Consoles.gif

This kind of thinking is the problem. When you let them do stuff like that, thinking it's irrelevant, it doesn't take them long before they start doing more awful things. No ads at all is the only acceptable deal! No fuckin' compromise of any kind.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Sony, no. Just... no. Please. I know I've never bought one of your consoles, but I've come close many times. You will never see a penny from me, and many people like me, should you do this. I will not put up with ads while I'm playing a game. Put some ads on the console menus, maybe like on XBL's dashboard, but never one that will interrupt me while playing a game.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
It's a shame there's no italics for article titles. Sony could interrupt your games with ads but probably won't, might not even do it and no info as to what specific system they'd use it for. As said; it'd only work best on an always-on platform like a smartphone system or maybe for the next Vita.

Far more likely they're patenting the idea to make sure no-one else can use it OR anyone who did would have to pay Sony royalties.

bat32391 said:
Tamrin said:

I don't think I've laughed so hard at a video in ages. Who the hell made this?
Clear Blue. Yes, really. Saw it on TV myself on several occasions and laughed each time. It is a genuine advert.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oh. So it was. Combined with my point that it was worthless for them to try this ends rather nicely.
"Pointless" is an incredibly subjective term and probably a bad one to use here.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ads placed within games? Sure I can deal with that. I've seen it done before. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Ads replacing the loading screen for maps? Go right ahead.
Ads on the home screen when I first turn on my console? Xbox does it and the ads are that obstructive. I'm cool.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Eri said:
They'd start out free, then become 5 bucks and so on and so forth.

So I'd suggest just not being ok with it so you don't lose what is available now.

Me personally? I'm 100% with clever in game marketing, like my hero drinking pepsi. I even liked that not-so-subtle sprite game on the Sega.

Just don't have actual ads break gameplay.

Shit most games are in the real world, we are all subjected to SO much marketing everyday that they could do it without breaking immersion.

Atmos Duality said:
I must question: Who the FUCK would willingly put up with this shit in a product they PAID FOR?
Everyone who buys movies and tv shows >_>.

The ads on those things get longer and longer, and it becomes trickier and trickier to skip the intro nonsense.

Probably why I rarely ever buy any of that stuff anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Aprilgold said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well obviously the kids who put out the image that playing games makes you Violent.

Lets just face it here, PC has moddable file, Steam and Origin, Onlive, modifiable case, modifiable hardrive, modifiable speakers, modifiable graphics-cards, modifiable keyboards and modifiable monitors and mice.

What does console gaming have on its side. Ease of just putting in a game doesn't count anymore because you all now got your own CD-Keys to put in, so, really nothing. Gimmicky add-ons?

While on topic, the more immature are the ones who put it into people's minds like Jack Thompson that Kids playing games = future serial killers waiting to happen by getting angry at games.
So you completely ignored what I said for a "PC IS GOD!!!!!!!!" Argument? Swell.

Next time, feel free to proseltyse. Just don't quote me when you do it.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
We pay to play the game and console to play the game, not to deal with your shitty bull-shit ads.

There is a difference with TV. We do not directly pay for the shows. Essentially they're free. So they NEED ads, and most people are willing to deal with them for that reason.

But if I'm practically paying to have an ad installed to my console... (because you know this extra bit of hardware costs alot, it adds up) then fuck you.

Captcha: "Toodle-oo"

That's what everyone will say to sony if this happens.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
In games where it wouldn't break immersion by being completely out of place, I wouldn't mind product placement. Infact, if it reduced game prices I'd be all for it.

But I'm an immersion whore and if you interrupt my session of skyrim to advertise a rake, I'd be most upset.

I hope to god this doesn't happen.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Aprilgold said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

So you completely ignored what I said for a "PC IS GOD!!!!!!!!" Argument? Swell.

Next time, feel free to proseltyse. Just don't quote me when you do it.
Right, lets go back to what you said.
Now I'm going to bold where I argued you from, since you forget or don't know.
The reason I avoided "Why do you think your invincible" is because the OP provides for us. Its the hardware not the games. This exists for either the next Sony console, a seperate console made by them or to stop someone like Microsoft from doing it.

Read through the thread, because its not like a Developer is going to let their apple of fun won't allow constant ad-blocks in their game. At least any one with any type of integrity or honor of their work.

To clear up. The phrase "The PC Master Race" is a continuation of people's hate for people who love their platform of choice, similar to the PS3 VS Xbox VS Wii wars, which you will not see on PC. Read the thread next time, its a hardware-patent, not a designer going "THIS WILL BE A GREAT IDEA!" more then likely, like everyone else is assuming, this is simply there so either Sony can keep it for a later console, or is going to be for a console that makes games free but you have to watch ads.

Now then, happy?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Dear Sony,

If you actually do this in 6-8 weeks you will find on your doorstep a cardboard box filled with my feces and a very large spoon.

Prepping for his possible Taco Bell binge,
--KeyMaster45

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
If this means pop-ups during video games, I feel disgusted right now.

I can just imagine it, commercials for Auto Insurance during an emotional character death scene. Oh God.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I can't imagine game developers being terribly pleased with this idea either, unless they're getting a cut from Sony's ad revenue. I mean, how much less likely would you be to purchase a game when you knew the action was going to be randomly interrupted with ads, even when it's the console maker's fault, not the developer's?

This is an amazingly stupid idea from a consumer perspective. I can see how it makes sense to Sony, however. As other have said, I'm fine with this for games that are free. I don't expect studios to put out games worth playing on a zero dollar budget. However, if this is implemented in games that they will undoubtedly still have fleeced me for, I will be singularly unimpressed.

I do most of my gaming on a Playstation. If they implement this in future machines, I certainly won't be investing in one. The next console generation can go on without me. However, I think it's important to not let one's blood pressure get too high over something that hasn't actually happened yet.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
I'm only good with this if I get everything free. And even then, I'm just not going to complain as loudly.

On the bright side, Sony could have a patent on the technology and not use it, preventing anyone else from using it. If you're really, really optimistic.

May 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure the people involved in this aren't actually human beings, but are closer to amorphous blobs that feed on money. They clearly have no idea how the human mind works.

I mean for fuuuuuuu[small]uuuuuuuu[/small][sub]uuuuuuuu[/sub][HEADING=3]BUY NEW AWESOME BRAND SODA TODAY!!! AWESOME BRAND SODA: IT'S FUCKIN' AWESOME!!!![/HEADING][sub]uuuuuuu[/sub][small]uuuuuuuuu[/small]uuuuuuuck's sake, I...Wait, what just happened? Where was I?

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Nope, this would send me into a frothing rage. If an add had popped up while I was first playing ME3, I would have screamed. And then destroyed my room. I already barely tolerate losing screens and do my very best to ignore ads in regular life. Something like this would make me go out of my way to not purchase the product.

May 5, 2010
theultimateend said:
Eri said:
They'd start out free, then become 5 bucks and so on and so forth.

So I'd suggest just not being ok with it so you don't lose what is available now.

Me personally? I'm 100% with clever in game marketing, like my hero drinking pepsi. I even liked that not-so-subtle sprite game on the Sega.

Just don't have actual ads break gameplay.

Shit most games are in the real world, we are all subjected to SO much marketing everyday that they could do it without breaking immersion.

Atmos Duality said:
Everyone who buys movies and tv shows >_>.

The ads on those things get longer and longer, and it becomes trickier and trickier to skip the intro nonsense.

Probably why I rarely ever buy any of that stuff anymore.
Yeah, but those ads are all at the beginning, totally separate from the actual content. Sony wants to actually interrupt your content at random intervals. I'd say that's a pretty significant difference.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
No. This is not OK and I will not buy into it. Once again: it probably doesn't matter since I haven't bought Sony...anything in a few years. Like else said though: if half of the negative rumors about next gen consoles are true then I'm opting out. Wii-U still sounds good to me though so there's that.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well then Sony, I guess you don't want me to buy your next game console.... dumbasses.

If this actually goes through either the other two compaines will follow along or crack open the bubbly as one of their rival's goes down in flames.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Watch, some guy will hack the thing to not only remove the ad but also manage to convert the ROM into RAM and used it as extra cache space.

This is interesting but I'd imagine the massive backlash from consumers would probably make them think twice if they did it stupidly.

BelfastSpartan

Oct 5, 2010
Ads mid game as it seems to be making out in the original article would be a deal breaker!

Ads instead of a loading screen, as long as they were short or weren't too loud/interfering/in your face or advertising stupid out of place products would be bearable but only if there was a benefit for the buyer/user like as suggested seriously discounted/free consoles and games.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
If this does happen, you can bet that hackers are going to find a way of overriding it, and I'll be in the queue for that said hack.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
BelfastSpartan said:
Ads mid game as it seems to be making out in the original article would be a deal breaker!

Ads instead of a loading screen, as long as they were short or weren't too loud/interfering/in your face or advertising stupid out of place products would be bearable but only if there was a benefit for the buyer/user like as suggested seriously discounted/free consoles and games.
Yeah, this was what I was thinking while reading the article. Replacing loading screens with applicable ads that make sense for the demographic of the game seems like a good compromise for a reduction in hardware and software costs (I'd expect at least 40-60% to make it an attractive deal for consumers like myself).
But really, does anyone actually expect this to go ahead? I mean, we flipped our shit -rightly so- when Mass Effect 3's ending was pissed about with and that was just one controversy contained within one game and one fanbase. I can almost taste the backlash from here if this ever gets announced. Now, I've given Sony flak before, but not even they are that stone dead stupid. Are they?

This only further reinforces my decision to buy a Wii-U over any of the other next generation consoles.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
If this was implemented in F2P (as in actual F2P, not freemium) games then that's pretty ok. There's a fair amount of media out there already that uses advetisements as a substitute to paying for it and that's an acceptable compromise. I'm not a huge fan of actually interrupting games to put in ads though, when you open up the game or close it that's acceptable enough. Maybe even in loading screens. But interuppting gameplay? Eh, not great.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
And the PC gaming master race emerges victorious, once the filthy console peons are destroyed by their master's greed...

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Thats retarded. I dont think it will go as planned. Im playing and totally immersed in my game and then get my game stopped out of my control and wishes to watch some commercial that most likely will have NOTHING in common with what im doing at that moment .. .. that is jsut so many ways of wrong. My console my game and then i get forced into things No-NO!

Only way i can see advertisement working is on actual in-game billboards for games like GTA or WoW or something. But it has to be somehow related to the game in order not to break the feel too much.

I remember Deus Ex was going to have real world ads in its in-game billboards guess that never happened.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Yet another example of anti-consumerism from Sony. I'm actually a little astonished that their customer base has not completely fled from them yet.

I hope this wakes a few more folks up and keeps them from buying into their next gen console. None of the consoles are great but Sony exemplifies an attitude towards their customers that states that they can fuck them anytime they want to.

Anyway, buy their crap if you want, but don't complain when they start messing around with you.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I would never, ever buy sony again and simply buy a custom gaming rig. This is why Apple DESTROYED sony for being stupid.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
There is product placement, billboards, non-intrusive ads and whatever.

I liked when youtube had just a square on the side with ads. I don't mind Nicki Minaj looking at me while I am listening to music on a vevo channel. I don't mind that black bar on the bottom.

But a 3 minute ad that I can only skip after one minute? That buffers perfectly? The video I was about to watch was less than a minute long and it buffered terribly!

Never put the monetizing process in front of the service.

jklinders said:
Yet another example of anti-consumerism from Sony. I'm actually a little astonished that their customer base has not completely fled from them yet.
This. I used to be a die-hard Sony fanboy and just got fed up. I only buy Sony when I find it's justifiable. My last Sony purchase was a PSP.

Like Jim Sterling said, consoles were convenient in the past. Now they are shit PCs.

I used to say the same just a few years ago and everyone thought I was insane. I hate being right some times.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
ElPatron said:
There is product placement, billboards, non-intrusive ads and whatever.

I liked when youtube had just a square on the side with ads. I don't mind Nicki Minaj looking at me while I am listening to music on a vevo channel. I don't mind that black bar on the bottom.

But a 3 minute ad that I can only skip after one minute? That buffers perfectly? The video I was about to watch was less than a minute long and it buffered terribly!

Never put the monetizing process in front of the service.

jklinders said:
This. I used to be a die-hard Sony fanboy and just got fed up. I only buy Sony when I find it's justifiable. My last Sony purchase was a PSP.

Like Jim Sterling said, consoles were convenient in the past. Now they are shit PCs.

I used to say the same just a few years ago and everyone thought I was insane. I hate being right some times.
Indeed. I had a chat with a co-worker about this about 5 years ago not long after the rootkit fiasco came out. He blubbered and blustered trying to say it was a separate division of Sony yaddayaddayadda while standing by his beloved platform. This was I think before Sony took away the right to install separate OS on the PS 3. So much has transpired since I wonder what his outlook is now. I have not seen him for several years.

Sony has set a high hardware standard for a long time but they have shown only contempt for consumers in the process. I'll live in a cave before knowingly giving those assholes even one dime of my money.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Terminate421 said:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928112834/battlefield/images/5/59/Operation_Metro_Rush_Loading_Screen_-_Consoles.gif

This kind of thinking is the problem. When you let them do stuff like that, thinking it's irrelevant, it doesn't take them long before they start doing more awful things. No ads at all is the only acceptable deal! No fuckin' compromise of any kind.
For free games, that's out of the question. For paid games, yeah maybe.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Good god.........seriously, if even half the rumors about the next generation of consoles prove to be true, I'd say there's a 95% chance the last console I buy will be the 360 I currently own. >.>
I've already decided to give up on the next console generation. Going strictly PC. Only the handhelds will be a possibility and I've yet to get a 3DS or Vita so it is a slim chance.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
If you're going to put ads in games put them in the loading screens.

This is just asking to get hacked and disabled.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
And in a few years, people will be posting about how it could be worse, how do we expect companies to make a profit, we're a bunch of entitled whiners to complain...

It isn't even that the goalposts for the status quo are planted in hell sometimes that surprises me anymore; it's how fast they can move deeper into hell while people still make excuses.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to come off as one of those "better than all of you" misanthropes whose self-image is dependent on maintaining an air of jaded disdain. But I'm really getting a little tired of seeing developments that have me hoping against hope that I'm wrong in my grim expectations.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I can imagine it ruining a dramatic cut scene. Cuz unlike television the writing won't be planned for breaks. This is just a stupid idea. However ads in loading screens wouldn't be all that bad.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
using the ps4 as an example - if they made the ps4 ad supported, as in you get the console and the games for free, i'd be fine w/it. It'd be an interesting new take on the console wars. Otherwise, its intolerable. If i pay money, there better not be ads.

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
Well, the Wii U and Nextbox just got a whole lot more appealing as my main next-gen console choices...

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
I've almost defeated you now, just a f-

"Are you paying too much on your car insurance?"

In the words of russell howard "Fuck off"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDKLVbLepU

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Won't happen, at least for many titles.

Random ads = fastest way to break immersion = less sales = less $$$

It's simple business.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
I want to say that people will never stand for this, but youtube and in-video ads still exist.

I'm just going to outright avoid consoles/companies/games that do this, unless they're free to play and don't impact other pay to play game experiences.

Please don't do it Sony. ;_;

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
-Slams his head against his desk again... and again... and again... and again.-

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
During loadscreens or even in in-game billboards and TVs and such, fine, but interrupt my game with that shit, and I'm boycotting your ass.
I mean, for real. I will not just say that and still buy your shit.
I will actively avoid any and all of your products to the best of my knowledge and ability for all time.
And I will encourage friends and family to do the same.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
It depends how it's handled. I mean, if they release a game for free, and after every level (or whatever), I have to suffer an advert, then fair enough. Even if they added an advert on loading screens on commercial games for charity, then that would be ok in my book. But if I spend good money on a game, I don't expect the game to be interrupted for 1 nanosecond for an advert break. It's bad enough that we have to endure adverts on DVD's, like who the fuck paid for this thing. Frankly, if anything like that went ahead, then Sony's next console would be a hackers delight, because a hack would block the adverts, it'll be like having an XBox original when it was at the end of it's life - either a fairly useless massive black box, or a very useful massive black box - depending on whether you chipped it or not.

I mean, can you imagine if people were 'forced' to chip their playstation just to get rid of adverts!
Console manufacturers should remember who is in charge - frankly I'd rather see Sony spend their efforts in getting a FPS game onto the Vita.

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
The only way I would be ok with this is if they were movie-style trailers before the title screen. Games do NOT need "immersion-breaking-and-i'm-just-gonna-go-pee-anyway-you-morons" commercial breaks.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
ahahahahaha!
i can imagine those guys at sony, sitting in comfy chairs and petting their cats while twirling their mustaches.

come on! thats the kind of bs you expect from "dr. doom and his army of angry PR minions" because how the hell do you expect people to react?

see, i have this way of deciding whenever something is acceptable or not.
you have the right to complain according to how much you have paid. you paid nothing - you dont complain. you paid something - you can complain. if they release free games - fine, go ahead!
is still stupid as all hells and plainly wrong, but you get what you pay for.

but yeah, as a member of the "glorious pc master race" i laugh at you puny console users. but i also feel sad for you. its a strange emotion, believe me.