Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I would never, ever buy sony again and simply buy a custom gaming rig. This is why Apple DESTROYED sony for being stupid.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
There is product placement, billboards, non-intrusive ads and whatever.

I liked when youtube had just a square on the side with ads. I don't mind Nicki Minaj looking at me while I am listening to music on a vevo channel. I don't mind that black bar on the bottom.

But a 3 minute ad that I can only skip after one minute? That buffers perfectly? The video I was about to watch was less than a minute long and it buffered terribly!

Never put the monetizing process in front of the service.

jklinders said:
Yet another example of anti-consumerism from Sony. I'm actually a little astonished that their customer base has not completely fled from them yet.
This. I used to be a die-hard Sony fanboy and just got fed up. I only buy Sony when I find it's justifiable. My last Sony purchase was a PSP.

Like Jim Sterling said, consoles were convenient in the past. Now they are shit PCs.

I used to say the same just a few years ago and everyone thought I was insane. I hate being right some times.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
ElPatron said:
There is product placement, billboards, non-intrusive ads and whatever.

I liked when youtube had just a square on the side with ads. I don't mind Nicki Minaj looking at me while I am listening to music on a vevo channel. I don't mind that black bar on the bottom.

But a 3 minute ad that I can only skip after one minute? That buffers perfectly? The video I was about to watch was less than a minute long and it buffered terribly!

Never put the monetizing process in front of the service.

jklinders said:
Yet another example of anti-consumerism from Sony. I'm actually a little astonished that their customer base has not completely fled from them yet.
This. I used to be a die-hard Sony fanboy and just got fed up. I only buy Sony when I find it's justifiable. My last Sony purchase was a PSP.

Like Jim Sterling said, consoles were convenient in the past. Now they are shit PCs.

I used to say the same just a few years ago and everyone thought I was insane. I hate being right some times.
Indeed. I had a chat with a co-worker about this about 5 years ago not long after the rootkit fiasco came out. He blubbered and blustered trying to say it was a separate division of Sony yaddayaddayadda while standing by his beloved platform. This was I think before Sony took away the right to install separate OS on the PS 3. So much has transpired since I wonder what his outlook is now. I have not seen him for several years.

Sony has set a high hardware standard for a long time but they have shown only contempt for consumers in the process. I'll live in a cave before knowingly giving those assholes even one dime of my money.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Terminate421 said:
The only time I don't care to see an ad is at this screen:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928112834/battlefield/images/5/59/Operation_Metro_Rush_Loading_Screen_-_Consoles.gif

You know, the screen where nothing is happening while the map loads?

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.
This kind of thinking is the problem. When you let them do stuff like that, thinking it's irrelevant, it doesn't take them long before they start doing more awful things. No ads at all is the only acceptable deal! No fuckin' compromise of any kind.
For free games, that's out of the question. For paid games, yeah maybe.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Good god.........seriously, if even half the rumors about the next generation of consoles prove to be true, I'd say there's a 95% chance the last console I buy will be the 360 I currently own. >.>
I've already decided to give up on the next console generation. Going strictly PC. Only the handhelds will be a possibility and I've yet to get a 3DS or Vita so it is a slim chance.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
If you're going to put ads in games put them in the loading screens.

This is just asking to get hacked and disabled.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
And in a few years, people will be posting about how it could be worse, how do we expect companies to make a profit, we're a bunch of entitled whiners to complain...

It isn't even that the goalposts for the status quo are planted in hell sometimes that surprises me anymore; it's how fast they can move deeper into hell while people still make excuses.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to come off as one of those "better than all of you" misanthropes whose self-image is dependent on maintaining an air of jaded disdain. But I'm really getting a little tired of seeing developments that have me hoping against hope that I'm wrong in my grim expectations.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I can imagine it ruining a dramatic cut scene. Cuz unlike television the writing won't be planned for breaks. This is just a stupid idea. However ads in loading screens wouldn't be all that bad.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
using the ps4 as an example - if they made the ps4 ad supported, as in you get the console and the games for free, i'd be fine w/it. It'd be an interesting new take on the console wars. Otherwise, its intolerable. If i pay money, there better not be ads.

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
Well, the Wii U and Nextbox just got a whole lot more appealing as my main next-gen console choices...

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
I've almost defeated you now, just a f-

"Are you paying too much on your car insurance?"

In the words of russell howard "Fuck off"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDKLVbLepU

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Won't happen, at least for many titles.

Random ads = fastest way to break immersion = less sales = less $$$

It's simple business.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
I want to say that people will never stand for this, but youtube and in-video ads still exist.

I'm just going to outright avoid consoles/companies/games that do this, unless they're free to play and don't impact other pay to play game experiences.

Please don't do it Sony. ;_;

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
-Slams his head against his desk again... and again... and again... and again.-

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
During loadscreens or even in in-game billboards and TVs and such, fine, but interrupt my game with that shit, and I'm boycotting your ass.
I mean, for real. I will not just say that and still buy your shit.
I will actively avoid any and all of your products to the best of my knowledge and ability for all time.
And I will encourage friends and family to do the same.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
It depends how it's handled. I mean, if they release a game for free, and after every level (or whatever), I have to suffer an advert, then fair enough. Even if they added an advert on loading screens on commercial games for charity, then that would be ok in my book. But if I spend good money on a game, I don't expect the game to be interrupted for 1 nanosecond for an advert break. It's bad enough that we have to endure adverts on DVD's, like who the fuck paid for this thing. Frankly, if anything like that went ahead, then Sony's next console would be a hackers delight, because a hack would block the adverts, it'll be like having an XBox original when it was at the end of it's life - either a fairly useless massive black box, or a very useful massive black box - depending on whether you chipped it or not.

I mean, can you imagine if people were 'forced' to chip their playstation just to get rid of adverts!
Console manufacturers should remember who is in charge - frankly I'd rather see Sony spend their efforts in getting a FPS game onto the Vita.