Sony Cuts U.K. Out of European PSP Price Slashing

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Sony Cuts U.K. Out of European PSP Price Slashing

It turns out that Britain's currency exchange with the Yen isn't as good as the Euro was, hence why Sony's not cutting PSP prices in the U.K..

The good news: Sony has announced that it's cutting the price of the PSP across Europe today. The bad news: Britain apparently isn't a part of Europe, according to Sony's discount planning.

The price drop is pretty substantial: PSPs are now going for €129.99 (roughly £114), which is down from €179.99. However, the £129.99 price tag in the U.K. isn't changing. This is because there have been "favorable fluctuations" in exchange rates between the Euro and the Yen, while this isn't the case with Britain's pound.

According to Sony:

"The price drop in continental Europe has been made possible by favourable fluctuations in the exchange rate between the Euro and the Yen.

"Since we in the UK are vulnerable to two exchange rate calculations, pounds into Euro's and Euro's into Yen, we are not in a position to offer a similar cut in PSP for the UK."

While it's too bad that British gamers won't get the discount, they're actually paying about €30 less than what the system was selling for before the price cut.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-08-sony-cuts-euro-psp-price-snubs-uk>Eurogamer

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Meh. Doesn't bother me that much. If you look in the right places, you can get one for about 80 quid, 60 if you're lucky.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I guess that's justified.
No reason for me to be more pissed off at Sony than I already am right now.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Really Sony, really? Your really going to piss off your uk base after such attempting to bad mouth your biggest competitor? Just who is control of this bloody car crash?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
So they were paying less so they dont get a disscount? Seems reasonable.

The bad news: Britain apparently isn't a part of Europe, according to Sony's discount planning.
More likely because of the use of the britain pound.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I've got to the stage in life where nothing Sony does shocks me any more. Cheers for once again eliminating us Blightys from the equation.

I'm going to emigrate.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Don't worry to much, im sure us Brits don't need the price cut, were giving away money to everyone else at the moment, we don't need a price cut on anything -_-

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Makes sense, really.

[sub]Nice to see you all bitching about £15 too, didn't realize we had so many Scots in here. Oh![/sub]

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Spangles said:
mireko said:
Makes sense, really.

[sub]Nice to see you all bitching about £15 too, didn't realize we had so many Scots in here. Oh![/sub]
Wow.. do you people still use this stereotype?.. That went out with the minstrals.
No, I don't think anyone over here uses that stereotype. It was a joke, see.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
mireko said:
Spangles said:
mireko said:
Makes sense, really.

Wow.. do you people still use this stereotype?.. That went out with the minstrals.
No, I don't think anyone over here uses that stereotype. It was a joke, see.
There are no jokes. Internet is serious business.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I have my PSP, its going to last long into the onset of the PSP2, and I fail to see a reason to care why nothing changed where we are.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
I wonder which world SONY lives in.
PSPs are still 185 Euros here in Sweden.

Is it just me or am I imagining fictious pricecuts?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh darn. Now all those people will have to pay more to become self-respecting adults.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
I already have a PSP, but until a replacement screen becomes cheaper I won't be using it. Shame really, I bought it for Crisis Core and Dissidia, both of which were excellent. Looks like my 3DS will be my primary handheld platform for a long while. Oh wait, I'm 28 so I'm not allowed to like the 3DS :p