Sony Denies May 31 Deadline For PSN Return

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I'm wondering why Sony isn't simply bringing the multiplayer portion back online and just ignore the validation checks. Surely, letting a few pirates play online for awhile till they rebuild their network must "cost" them less than this mess? Even with that make.believe money they "lose" from piracy?

If they've been real clutzes in their design, perhaps achievments and the likes are tied to your private data in a non-modular way, and speaking from many years of experience in the software industry I can tell you that is certainly a possibility; but even then just playing the game without trophies, rankings, ladders and whatnot would have been alot better than this.

As a developer of distributed platforms in the telecommunications industry, I'm really scratching my head here, trying to understand what could possibly take down an entire network of services, applications and systems over such a long period of time. Since I started coding at age 5, I have something like 25 years of experience with programming, network/systems administration and hardware; more than 5 of them in R&D and my mind just comes up blank. Impossible, I say; this is corporate politics, not a technical issue.

As an example; when I was a sysadmin at the University, if an important (secure) service went down, we had unsecured backup nodes with limited content available within minutes. If we were hit by a particularily nasty DDoS (and believe me, a dorm full of "Networks and Security" majors is BAD NEWS for the sysadmins), we had agreements with fellow universities and redirected our services to them within half an hour -- again with unsecured, limited content. As long as the attack is on-going, that wouldn't be a good idea of course ....

Hacks, attacks and in particular virulent data (ie e-mail) have been a very real concerns for network operators for decades. I find it hard to believe Sony could be such n00bs in this matter-- something else must be at stake?

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Well let this be a lesson.

See the hackers? Leave the hackers alone, don't provoke the hackers.

Once a large group descend on you it only takes one to go rouge... and you've lost 70 million users personal details.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I am getting really tired of waiting. I'm not going to jump ship but their "Welcome Back" program better be HUGE!

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
crop52 said:
wait, could someone tell me what sony did to provoke this?
some people think it was over the lawsuit about that guy who put the code of the PS3 online for people to fuck with and change what their ps3 can do/play

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
I got impatient with it and just ended up buying a gaming PC.

I'll use it for exclusives and for stuff for my PSP, but I think that's about it from now on.

Awesome that the day I wanted to buy Final Fantasy IX for my PSP was the day the network went down.

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
KefkaCultist said:
rmb1983 said:
KefkaCultist said:
*sigh* I really hope the hacker(s) responsible for this are found and punished heavily. At first I wasn't upset about PSN being down because I figured it would be down for only a week or two, but this is getting ridiculous. This isn't only affecting my online games either. I went to play Dragon Age Origins today thinking it would be fine since its single player, but I can't play because trophy information cannot load and it exits the game...

I have two things to say to the hacker(s): I hate you and go die in a fire.
Honestly, no matter anyone's stance on whether they like Sony or not, at this point, I find it hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with that statement (the portion I bolded, at least).

Odd about your situation with DA:O, though. Is it possible you haven't played it since the last time they've released DLC (since those add Trophies of their own)? Mine works just fine, but it's up-to-date circa DAII's launch. Oddly enough, Bionic Commando re-loads its Trophy data every time it fires up, but works just fine for some reason or another. In any case, I just hit Platinum on it last night, and hoped to give Borderlands a go in the meantime...I was a bit concerned because I haven't popped it in in a full year, but even though there was a game update, it downloaded it and started just fine, as well.
Seems almost situational, I guess. I AM playing an Ultimate Edition copy (and as I said, is fully patched, etc) of DA:O, though, so that may or may not have some impact on it; hence why I asked about the DLC situation.
Yeah thats probably the reason. I haven't used my ps3 for much more than a BluRay player for a while now so I've missed a bunch of updates for pretty much everything I own.
Fair enough. I will refer to my mention of Borderlands, though. I'm assuming it has something to do with new Trophies being added (and, most likely, due to specific DLC).

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Has anyone else thought:

Last generation, a Sony internet service being down wouldn't have even caused a ripple of acknowledgment from fans?

I think I'm more concerned about the fact they we seem to NEED an internet service than I'm bothered that it's currently down.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
This is really starting to get ridiculous... I just want to buy some DLC for fuck's sake. Maybe a few rounds of Bad Company 2 afterwards.

Blargh.

MasaVK

May 10, 2011
Offline doesn't bother me at all, got plenty of single player games and i bet most
of these people complaining about PSN being down are Black Ops players.

PS: Having both the 360 and PS3 is a good thing. :)

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
Im not hugging a crash or ticking off the days, but it would be nice to talk to my friends again, and play Brink online when it comes out. I hate these hackers. They should be hung for this.

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
voorhees123 said:
I dont get why it is taking so long? If it is due to plugging holes in the system then it shows how crap the original security was.
It isn't about plugging holes. It's about physically moving the entire farm to a brand new location and rebuilding the entire Network. They've been in the last phase of testing all week, where they've had their staff and everyone from the security firms they've hired on attacking it relentlessly to cover all their bases.

This is something that usually takes years to develop and months upon months of testing.

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
Man, I would not want to be Sony right now.

With the furious fans on one side and the hacker-assassins on the other, this could be the thing that kills the PlayStation.

Ok, the death of the PS may be a little too much, but there's no denying that Sony will never completely get back from this attack. Sure, they may get the system back up, but then they have to deal with the shitstorm awaiting them, and god knows how long thats going to linger over them.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
As long as it's up by June 6 so I can get some of that juicy user generated content for inFamous 2, I don't really care. I have plenty of single-player games to play in the meantime.

Captcha: plaintiff mitionv

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
This is definitely getting on my nerves, now. Like I've said before, I don't mind hackers when they're doing things that make sense. If Sony had started charging for online out of no where or something, that would have been a reason to do this. But now they're just wasting their time with this. There is no good reason to hack the PSN and cause this much damage. This hurts everyone and might cause Sony to die because even after it comes back up they're going to take a lot of crap.

Either way, I was kind of hoping it would be back up by the time inFamous 2 comes out...

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
henritje said:
wow that,s pretty shitty!
I wonder how many people switched to 360,s or PC,s!
Hopefully, all the daft ones.
Which honestly goes without saying, anyway, if you break down the amount of money you'd shell out for the endeavour.