Sony Dev Wanted God of War III to be an FPS

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
"...but you'll be happy to know we don't pay him to think."

probably something they'd be thinking from Sony's head office. (if they do, then oh crap)

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
No..never, not a chance. That is a terrible idea to the n'th degree, and whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired. And seriously, does everything have to be first person these days? It's gotten so terribly dull and is so devoid of character. It wouldn't work for a game like god of war...ever, the strive to try and turn everything into an FP(insert letter of choice) is ridiculous and would make gaming as a whole dull. Now fire that moron right now for trying to butcher a potentially great game.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
scotth266 said:
That's just... silly. Like, really silly.

I mean, I like the idea of more first-person melee combat and more first-person platforming, but both of those things still need some work.

Not to mention it just wouldn't fit the feel that God Of War's previous two games had established.
Original Call of JUARez anyone?

FPS + Platforming + Fling about combat = fail

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
i swear that gamings becoming brainwashed by all the frigging shooters in the world. i mean GOD!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
And people thought Mirror's Edge would give you motion sickness, a God of War game in first person would be like riding a tilt-a-whirl.
A very very bloody tilt-a-whirl especially...

I just don't see this idea working, maybe in the future when/if God of War gets a spin off series or something it'd be a FPS, but as is the God of War series has always been a brutal hack n' dismember game meant to admire Kratos's moves at a distance for if you stared too close to them your eyes would implode.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
That sounds pretty horrific, to be honest.

But then, I'm biased - I hate first-person-perspective.

And yes, this is the source of all my hatred for the real world.
Do you hate your life, hero?

Also, how would we see who is about to kill us from the rear in this "genius" idea?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
MaxTheReaper said:
That sounds pretty horrific, to be honest.

But then, I'm biased - I hate first-person-perspective.

And yes, this is the source of all my hatred for the real world.
Do you hate your life, hero?

Also, how would we see who is about to kill us from the rear in this "genius" idea?
Have you seen how much Kratos spins around? Lots. He spins around lots. I assume you would see what's behind you by opening your eyes, focusing on the screen and processing the visual information.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
That would have broken the game and the franchise. That's like feeding cat food to your dog. Mind you, the mutt would still eat it...

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
First person melee combat can work really well, something Condemned and arguably Dark Messiah have shown us, but I just don't think it would mix with God of War's over the top fighting style.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Every one who is bashing the idea of First Person games like Mirrors Edge saying it won't work and it would suck has never played Breakdown. That game was pure gold on Xbox and you only really got to shoot at the very end of the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is a joke, right? Come on man, you're scaring the children!

Please don't tell me there are people like that working in the games industry. There are certain things in this world that I just don't want to know.

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
Ok, stop it with the FPS's people.

I think over 70% of all games are FPS, out of which the majority are either about space marines fighting aliens/monsters or a re-enactment of WW2, with you OF COURSE being the brave american soldier, or a fictional war-thingy meant to allude to real-world wars , mostly the Iraq war.

There is so much blandness out today, we don't need a game that at least stood out a little to lose everything that made it good- you KNOW Kratos would get encased in a fridge- like armour and fought strangely alien-esque monsters if it became an FPS-

If anything, I'd like it if more games went for the 3rd person perspective, and maybe go for the action-adventure platform genre.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I think over 70% of all games are FPS
One of those wonderful internet statistics.

There is so much blandness out today, we don't need a game that at least stood out a little to lose everything that made it good- you KNOW Kratos would get encased in a fridge- like armour and fought strangely alien-esque monsters if it became an FPS-
Oh yes, because there's never been any hack 'n' slash games before. I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the rampant clicking of my mouse as I desperately tried to kill Diablo.

And the most hilarious part of this quote is that I'm pretty sure a First Person Hack 'n' Slash would be the first of its kind. Ever. How's that for bloody innovation?

maybe go for the action-adventure platform genre.
Oh yeah, 'cos we've never seen one of them before.

Oh shi-

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Someone must have been putting a does of crazy in that man's morning coffee, an idea like his would have destroyed the final GoW game. I'm very glad the idea was shot down, there's no genius in it only ass-hatery. Its people like him who ruin very good games for the sake of "changing it up".

I don't know this man and already I want to slap him for even proposing the idea, better yet I want to make sure he never has his hands in another game ever.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Make it a spin off. An action plaformer in first person would be innovative and a lot of fun but as we can see from the comments, the community would rather play: sequel of rehash 2 - the remake.

Still I'm sure Activision is treating you guys well.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this would not have been a good idea, i don't see how the game would have worked

i can see it being like hexxen but not as good and all the spinning would just suck