Sony Dev Wanted God of War III to be an FPS

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
Make it a spin off. An action plaformer in first person would be innovative and a lot of fun but as we can see from the comments, the community would rather play: sequel of rehash 2 - the remake.

Still I'm sure Activision is treating you guys well.
Yes a game where you're required to see in 360 the whole time to have ridiculous physics-defying fights and combo chains should be put in a perspective where you can only look straight ahead. I see no way at all it would suffer! Really!

"Different" does not equal "Better". And it wouldn't be "innovative" either because Mirror's Edge beat them to it. Unless the innovation was a free barf-bag attachment for your controller.

Hmm...

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
this is the most ridicolous thing ive heard this year. whoever asked so does probably not even know what the ps2´s most succesful franchise is...

anywho, the person who asked for the GOW3 to be an FPS needs to get bombarded by 10000 rusty nails and a piece of soap.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Christemo said:
this is the most ridicolous thing ive heard this year. whoever asked so does probably not even know what the ps2´s most succesful franchise is...
Successful as in money earned? God of War? HAH! That's a joke and a half. Off the top of my head: GTA, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. Considering that God of War 1+2 together sold 4.43 million units [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games], it's beat out comfortably by some single games!

"Most successful franchise." Hah. What a bloody joke.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Why try and cram Kratos into it? Oh, I know because then fans of the series might buy it and you could generate some 'cheap' sales.
You don't even see the main character in an FPS. Is he suggesting the game retells the story from first person and be a shooter?

Urgh - this guy is a massive pile of wrong.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
So is this why its taken forever to come out? Did he try to get it rated T as well?
Oh I have an idea, lets make the next mario or harvest moon rated M, and be a FPS because they sell better!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I love how so many people are decrying this idea while in the same breath would spit on a series like...Final Fantasy for never doing anything 'new'.

You guys are hilarious some times. You really are.

Spektre41

Jun 26, 2008
At first I thought it was stupid, but I'd probably buy a PS3 for a First Person Hack-Slash.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Amnestic said:
I love how so many people are decrying this idea while in the same breath would spit on a series like...Final Fantasy for never doing anything 'new'.

You guys are hilarious some times. You really are.
OK, how would you do GoW3 as an FPS and still preserve the identity of the game? How would you handle all the spinning, acrobatics and jumping? And how would the first person perspective benefit the game? How would it make it better in any way? How would it improve gameplay? Change for the sake of change isn't a good thing.

I dislike the idea. Not because it's something new, but because I think it's a bad idea. I don't think it would work and would harm the game. It would require a series of alterations of the game that would make it into something that's not God of War. It would be a vastly different game and I don't think it would be for the better. One way or another, people who are looking forward to GoW3 expect an update to the series, a new chapter in the saga, not a vastly different product that they never asked for and which is being shoved down their throats on the coattails of a franchise they love.

And finally, a lot of people (myself included) dislike the mass proliferation of FPS games that's been going on recently. Personally, I don't hate FPS as such, but I do feel like there's too many of them (kinda like the influx of RTS games around the time of WC2 and C&C). And this suggestion reeks of corporate meddling with the intention of cashing in on the "FPS craze"...

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
It seems that today people want every game to be shooters. I remember people complaining that Infamous wasn't a shooter. GOW is great as it is, and needs no first person elements. It's not that I think it's a bad idea, but just isn't a good idea with God of War.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
That sounds pretty horrific, to be honest.

But then, I'm biased - I hate first-person-perspective.

And yes, this is the source of all my hatred for the real world.
that explains it quite nicely actually.

Ot: yeah that would have been just pants..................... like suggesting that Krato's should wear pants.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I think they should try to make God of War 3, then make a God of War FPS. That way if it doesn't work it wouldn't really harm the francise because it was mainly a spinoff anyway.