Sony Erects Online Pass Barrier Around Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
razer17 said:
They do deserve to get some cash from second hand sales.
And why is that? Games are the only item ever where the maker claims to "deserve" cash from second-hand sales, while every single argument I've heard in favour of it so far either is greed, or shared with multiple other products where imposing a tax on second-hand sales would be universally ridiculed.

I call bullshit.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Proverbial Jon said:
Crono1973 said:
What was confusing about it?

I'll try again though in case anyone who does buy used at Gamestop is also confused.

So if you only care about single player, you are better off buying used and you may be able to do this on day one. Here's the math:

A new game without an online pass: $60

A new game with an online pass: $60

Now here's where it get's interesting:

A used game without an online pass and with a 10% off card (Power up card for Gamestop): $49.50 - That's $54.99 - 10%.

A used game with an online pass and with a 10% off card (Power up card for Gamestop): $40.50 - That's $44.99 ($10 less so you can buy the online pass and not pay more than a game without the online pass) - 10%. Since you only care about single player, you won't be paying that extra $10 for the online pass.

So you see, if you won't pay the extra $10 for the online pass, then you can get the game for almost $20 off by buying used. Wonder if Sony thought this through all the way.
I guess I'm just thick, that makes more sense now. Thanks for clearing that up! I see what you're saying though, it's still cheaper all round for everyone to buy the game used. I guess the idea is that every $10 online pass that is bought with a used game, is another $10 that Sony didn't have previously.
True but there is long term damage here. Splitting up the single and multiplayer portions will eventually have people asking why they can't just buy the single player portion new for $10 off. There will also be fewer people online when used buyers don't know how or refuse to buy the online pass.

Also, the extra $10 Sony wouldn't otherwise have that you mentioned, that is coming out of the pocket of consumer, not Gamestop. They are creating ill will with their own customers.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
This. Is. Dumb.

I doubt they did this to "tackle piracy"...
[sub]Still, even if I don't get it new, I'll end up paying the $10...because I love Uncharted multiplayer[/sub]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
bue519 said:
Your right X-box owners just have to pay $60 a year to play online, instead of $10 if they buy a select title used. What a deal!
Grow up.

EDIT: I failed that sorry...

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
CardinalPiggles said:
bue519 said:
Your right X-box owners just have to pay $60 a year to play online, instead of $10 if they buy a select title used. What a deal!
Grow up.

EDIT: I failed that sorry...
You not only failed in that, you failed to actually post anything of value. Sorry, if I'm poking fun your comment... again. Ba Dum Tish!
All I'm trying to point out is the absurdity of people moaning about this, but no one has a problem with paying $60 a year to fully enjoy their game. But, that's probably just the PC gamer in me used to getting that for free.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
bue519 said:
You not only failed in that, you failed to actually post anything of value. Sorry, if I'm poking fun your comment... again. Ba Dum Tish!
All I'm trying to point out is the absurdity of people moaning about this, but no one has a problem with paying $60 a year to fully enjoy their game. But, that's probably just the PC gamer in me used to getting that for free.
Ok fine, you want an argument?

$60 a year?... No subscriptions
$60 a year?... EVERY server is a dedicated one

$60 a year is nothing compared to the amount you have to spend on maintenance for your PC, so get the fuck off your high horse. At least I actually made an effort to add to the thread in my first post.

Gyrohelix

Aug 3, 2011
If you HAVE to do an online pass, do it EA style and print it on the GODDAMN MANUAL instead of making us go play hide and seek like a PONCE

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Has the traffic on this site decreased? Usually a thread like this or the Jimquisition one about used sales would be moving faster.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kman123 said:
Whatever. These guys needed a way to fight piracy. They found one. No doubt this installment will sell millions of copies in the first week ANYWAY, and in a few months the price drops quite substantially, which by that point multiplayer will be dead. It's a win-win guys. Just stop to think about it.
How exactly does this fight piracy?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
razer17 said:
Well, I can see it from Sony's point of view: They need to make money. This helps them do that. They do deserve to get some cash from second hand sales. Personally I think this is the wrong way to go about it though.
How do you figure they deserve any cash from the second hand market? No other industry gets money from the used product market, how in the hell do the game publishers rate special treatment? Not only does it defy logic, it also goes against the traditional view of the used market. Namely, I bought it, I get to sell it if I want, boo-hoo if you don't like it. They already got what they deserved, legally and morally. They got their money from the initial, new sale, and that's all they should get.

It's pretty clear that this move has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with fighting the used game market. On that topic, I have no sympathy for the publishers, I'm pretty tired of hearing them cry like babies over the legal uses of the capitalist system. Somebody give them a frakkin' pacifier already!

Fortunately for me, all that they are keeping out is the multiplayer, and that's about as unimportant to me as is possible.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kman123 said:
Crono1973 said:
kman123 said:
Whatever. These guys needed a way to fight piracy. They found one. No doubt this installment will sell millions of copies in the first week ANYWAY, and in a few months the price drops quite substantially, which by that point multiplayer will be dead. It's a win-win guys. Just stop to think about it.
Well it's both piracy and pre owned games, though the line is blurred 'apparently'. Implementing an online pass which otherwise restricts multiplayer locks out the pre-owned game + the pirated versions.
Don't follow.

So if pirates are currently playing on PSN for free, now they can play for $10 and by paying that $10 they have turned a pirated copy into a legit copy.

That would slow down used sales as pirating would be the cheapest way to get a LEGIT copy of the game. Naturally, it would make new copies 6 times as expensive as pirated ones too.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kman123 said:
Crono1973 said:
kman123 said:
Crono1973 said:
kman123 said:
Well it's both piracy and pre owned games, though the line is blurred 'apparently'. Implementing an online pass which otherwise restricts multiplayer locks out the pre-owned game + the pirated versions.
Don't follow.

So if pirates are currently playing on PSN for free, now they can play for $10 and by paying that $10 they have turned a pirated copy into a legit copy.

That would slow down used sales as pirating would be the cheapest way to get a LEGIT copy of the game. Naturally, it would make new copies 6 times as expensive as pirated ones too.
But the thing is, if you play online, you're going to get caught. It's the same deal on the Xbox, play on a modded console/pirated game, and they KNOW, they'll catch you and wipe everything out. I think.
...and that still doesn't explain how this fee fights piracy?

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Sony Erects Online Pass Barrier Around Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

According to Jiménez, the pass is supposedly a buffer against piracy, with no mention of it being an attempt to claw back a few bucks on pre-order sales.
Really? Is Sony really that worried about George Hotz and his buddies releasing the PS3 root keys?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kman123 said:
Crono1973 said:
kman123 said:
Crono1973 said:
kman123 said:
Crono1973 said:
kman123 said:
Don't follow.

But the thing is, if you play online, you're going to get caught. It's the same deal on the Xbox, play on a modded console/pirated game, and they KNOW, they'll catch you and wipe everything out. I think.
...and that still doesn't explain how this fee fights piracy?
...yeah, now that you mention it, I don't see it either.
They just used piracy as a scapegoat like everyone else does but in this case, it's laughable because pirates don't usually take their consoles onto XBOX Live or the PSN.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Yeah, I'm sure no developers like Ubisoft already have single use codes for all PC games, oh looky here

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/118/1182222p1.html

And I've yet to see anything like Origin on a console.

PC's will ever be as free of DRM as consoles, don't try to delude yourself.
Well first I hope you're referring to the fact that PC games are essentially one time use codes since they can't be bought used, because if you're referring to the 10 dollar online pass, that article says the charge is for people who buy the game pre owned.

Are you saying with the utmost certainty that consoles will always have less restrictive DRM? Last generation had nothing of the sort, this time around it's online passes galore and companies doing whatever they can to prevent used sales. For all we know, all the PC DRM is around the corner for consoles. Next thing you know, you're entering a 20 digit one time code to register your copy of Gears of Halo 7 to your Xbox live account.

You could also argue that being required to use a disc to play your game is the most restrictive DRM there is. With my PS3, if my disc gets damaged or lost, I can't play it unless I re buy it. If files get corrupted on my PC for, say Half Life, I just re download it from steam.