Sony Exec Blasts Microsoft for Content Policy

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
well.. someone had to call out on Microsoft's dick move here... I suppose whether it is tastefully done or not is all on opinion
I for one didn't see anything wrong with this.

Your move Microsoft.

theonecookie said:
JeanLuc761 said:
MarkDavis94 said:
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
They usually are better, actually. God of War 3, Uncharted 2, the Ratchet & Clank series, Killzone 2 and 3 etc simply would not be possible on the Xbox 360, and they are all phenomenally good games.
Hang on i'm gona have to call you out on this

not possible on a 360 I'm calling bullshit right now their not possible on 360 like halo's not possible on ps3 I also call bullshit on them being "phenomenally good" their about as good as halo is as in not shit but that's it shame you missed out infamous which was actualy good

other than that this again is just another pissing contest and should be taken with a grain of salt even though I agree with most of it but how are devs being strangled they have an excuse to do less work and they can just blame MS and get away with it
he said that those games WOULDN'T be on 360... not couldn't.

EDIT: Developers tend to make more content and later end up being cut from final edition of the game for various reasons. If the couldn't put the extra content because of the limitation of xbox's dvd, its not much of 'less work'. It is more of upset feeling that the content you spent a lot of time on didn't make the final cut..

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
Seeing how you can do the whole' two disk combo' like Forza -a xbox exclusive- i don't see how the blue-ray argument is a valid one.
And if you take the blue-ray out of the equation, then xbox and ps3 are not that different. one has a slightly better processor, one has slightly more ram.

the same as i heard somewhere that gt5 couldn't work on the xbox, because of the amount of information, yet forza 4 looks so much better.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
So he's saying multiplatform releases will be inferior because of microsoft. That makes some sense, but it seems microsoft is ok will multi-disc games. So the lack of disc space, which seems to be the biggest limiting factor, won't be an issue. So absolutely nothing has changed from before.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
quantumsoul said:
So he's saying multiplatform releases will be inferior because of microsoft. That makes some sense, but it seems microsoft is ok will multi-disc games. So the lack of disc space, which seems to be the biggest limiting factor, won't be an issue. So absolutely nothing has changed from before.
It makes me wonder. Microsoft has a history of not following through with its policies when it doesnt suite them. So AAA big budget games Like LA Noire they dont mind having multiple disks, but indie Joe's Pew Pew deluxe suffer...

How many 360 games are multidisk? I dont have one.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
So the reason the PS3 has finally caught up with the 360 for games is because microsoft has forced publishers to have the same quality of games on there systems as others.So it not be developers have took two years to get used to the ps3 programing that they all said would happen.

Dont start blaming microsoft for saying "we dont want crappy ports" because you made software no one else uses.As if this was the case the 360 wouldnt have hardly any exclusives if microsoft was dragging the publishers down

xXCrocmonXx

Apr 16, 2009
PS3 got DUST.

Microsoft loses because they refused to let a hybrid MMO onto their console. Why? Because it didn't connect to their servers.

Next console I get is probably going to be Sony-made, because Microsoft refuses to try new things. Instead they promote stupid remakes (Halo 4/5/6) and various stupidities (MW3).

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
Meh old pc & ps1 games had plenty of multi disk games M$ is simple doing what they do make money they buy exclusives charge a yearly fee get the games made for their console & ported for everyone else.

Anyway I'm surprised not many pc elitest in this thread, but still i think we need a new box soon 360 is getting pretty old.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I just realized. If content is cut from Skyrim so that it could fit all in xbox's 1 disc (due to Microsoft's bitching), I don't see myself buying this game for a long long time.

(that and I haven't finished Morrowind)

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
mysecondlife said:
I just realized. If content is cut from Skyrim so that it could fit all in xbox's 1 disc (due to Microsoft's bitching), I don't see myself buying this game for a long long time.

(that and I haven't finished Morrowind)
That is specifily a game I am concerned about then I heard 1 dvd. WTF. This is supposed to be a gigantic game. I dont like them cutting content down on this...it it does trim content I will be pissed.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
AmaterasuGrim said:
Meh old pc & ps1 games had plenty of multi disk games M$ is simple doing what they do make money they buy exclusives charge a yearly fee get the games made for their console & ported for everyone else.

Anyway I'm surprised not many pc elitest in this thread, but still i think we need a new box soon 360 is getting pretty old.
Why does their need to be PC elitism in the thread? This little article really has nothing to do with PCs, and really in the end any content that gets 'removed' because of limitations is usually in the PC version. See the Morrowind example.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
figday said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Now we know why PC ports have been so lack luster. It's due to them not being allowed to be better than 360 versions..... Yay, Microsoft.
-snip-
Whateveralot said:
Atmos Duality said:
Not sure my comment is completely accurate though as if PC features of a game had to be the same as the 360, you would not have BF3 with 64 player maps only on PC or DirectX 11 for both Crysis 2 and Metro 2033....

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
what I find funny is the Sony exec is complaining about something really stupid, obviously Microsoft is going to refuse games that wont work on their system, it'd be pointless. And obviously they don't want a 'toned down' version that would make their product look bad. Its basic business practice.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Not sure my comment is completely accurate though as if PC features of a game had to be the same as the 360, you would not have BF3 with 64 player maps only on PC or DirectX 11 for both Crysis 2 and Metro 2033....
It depends on who does the conversion/port from 360 to PC. Some titles are NOT co-developed (like Deus Ex: Human Revolution) but rather, converted in post-production by another company.
Remember Gearbox before they did Bioshock or Borderlands? Yeah, they used to convert console titles to PC format. Tony Hawk 3 and Halo 1 for PC spring to mind.

Sometimes it works(Mass Effect 2), sometimes it's a literal direct port-job (Bethesda's recent titles) and the bugs just crawl out of the seems (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) Sometimes, PC gamers don't even get the title even when the port-job would cost peanuts. (Gears of War 2...it runs on the Unreal 3 engine. Easiest. Port job. Ever.)

But what do all of the above have in common? They are all native to the Xbox 360 and were thus developed for its hardware profile FIRST.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
RicoADF said:
what I find funny is the Sony exec is complaining about something really stupid, obviously Microsoft is going to refuse games that wont work on their system, it'd be pointless. And obviously they don't want a 'toned down' version that would make their product look bad. Its basic business practice.
Read again. They wont accept a game that is better on another system, not "doesnt work"

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
bombadilillo said:
RicoADF said:
Read again. They wont accept a game that is better on another system, not "doesnt work"
That's what the 'toned down' part was about

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The Sony exec does make a lot of good points, but the way he says it does make him sound like a douche.

And here I thought I'd go a week without some company bashing another, silly me.

Also...

bombadilillo said:
Well yeah, this is what PC gamers have been pissed about for years. Only its 10x worse on pc.

Microsoft can go pound sand though. If a AAA like oh say COD came out with a far superior version on pc with bigger battles much more single player content. Xbox would still release it because they are full of it.
Seriously.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
translation: I read this thing this microsoft guy sez and I thought it was a good opportunity to take a pop and promote the culture of fanboyism, it's good for marketing having a mindless throng of fanboys who would defend your product and hopefully convince some people to buy it.

hell maybe if I start a flamewar like those EA/Actiblizzion guys then we might take some P.O.Ws

I sort of agree with what I'm saying but fan perception of the brand is my ultimate goal even if I don't realise what I'm doing I've been brainwashed enough to believe my own bullshit. Push the brand, pump the brand, The brand is god, that's what they taught me in PR school.

Do I care? I don't know anymore, do you like my new car btw?

and you all bought it, hook line and sinker.

in truth preference is subjective

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Wow, it's like we're back at start of the gaming generation again. Sony attacks Microsoft for not being as technically powerful, which I hasten to add means nothing as to whether the console is "inferior". Each console has strengths and weaknesses.

The Wii is weak technologically and has crappy online, but is cheap and has an innovative control scheme.
The Xbox is in the middle technologically, and it's online play costs money, also, it's run by Microsoft. But the online is the best available and is in the middle price-wise (is that still true? I dunno.)
The PS3 is expensive and I hear it's a ***** to programm on. The online is alright, but free. The graphics are technically the best, but remember to check back to the "***** to programm on" thing.

Basically they all have strengths and weaknesses, which makes it very difficult to decide which is inferior. Really it comes down to taste.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
On the other hand, Microsoft isn't constantly removing the X360's features that we bought it for. Microsoft didn't suffer a massive security breach and then drag their heels on telling people. Also, Sony's approach to making it up to their customers was to give you a couple of old games that (conveniently) had sequels coming out, and a free trial to a service that offers no benefit to the user.

You can argue about which piece of hardware is superior 'til the end of time, but nobody knows how to screw their users like Sony.

My solution to the console war is to own both consoles. I thought this debate had fizzled out, and now Sony wants to stir it back up again?