Sony Exec Blasts Microsoft for Content Policy

Sharkeyboi

May 19, 2009
I've already seen this said but here we go. I own a PS3, it feels like a good system (asides from the L2 and R2 buttons which are made of drunken monkey jizz, get the real triggers) and I'm given to understand that it is more powerful and stuff but it hardly needs to be said anymore.

Its clear that this Sony publisher guy just wants to say "PS3 is more powerful," but in a way that guarantees people will read it, ie. competitively.

Maybe some of Microsoft's policies should be called into question (I've read that they don't want games that launch on other systems first) but their competitors shouldn't be the ones to point it out. Leave that to the journalists, otherwise you're just pissing a line in the sand expecting game players to take sides... the sad part is, looking at these threads, a lot of people do.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
bombadilillo said:
mysecondlife said:
I just realized. If content is cut from Skyrim so that it could fit all in xbox's 1 disc (due to Microsoft's bitching), I don't see myself buying this game for a long long time.

(that and I haven't finished Morrowind)
That is specifily a game I am concerned about then I heard 1 dvd. WTF. This is supposed to be a gigantic game. I dont like them cutting content down on this...it it does trim content I will be pissed.
You can put a lot of shit in a DVD if you are smart:

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Not sure my comment is completely accurate though as if PC features of a game had to be the same as the 360, you would not have BF3 with 64 player maps only on PC or DirectX 11 for both Crysis 2 and Metro 2033....
Well neither the article or you were claiming the features HAVE to be removed, but Microsoft has the right to refuse a game based on the fact that it is missing a feature. I do realise that this is mostly aimed towards PS3-games, but still. It's manipulation of the developers. A risky, but probably worthwhile enterprise.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Sony can't talk, anyone who heard about tha tales of vesperia issue between the xbox and the better PS3 version knows what I mean. Sony demanded that if NamcoBandi wanted to port it had to be better.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
That Eeyore said:
On a side note, if, hypothetically MS DID want to incorporate Blu Ray to a console, could they legally? I mean, isn't that Sony's baby there?
And Microsoft has Direct X, something the Playstation will probably never see. But I guess when your console is used to make a supercomputer you can brag about how much better is. I thought Sony would be more mature about this...

Dec 27, 2010
Rednog said:
So he is criticizing Microsoft for having a policy that they don't want a game to be in any way inferior to the same product on a different console? Isn't that a good thing?
I mean how can you state that it stifles creativity or is bad for the consumer. Ensuring that a game is as good or better on your console as the competing console only makes logical sense or you'd end up in....what is currently Sony's shoes.
I mean it is a really odd stance for Sony to take, the PS3 is constantly getting stuck with versions of a game that actually runs worse on the PS3....which they are trying to spin by saying that it is a good point? Wtf.

And I mean really you're criticizing this now when Nintendo has had the "Nintendo Seal of Approval" which is basically the same concept...for how many years?

How dare Microsoft not want a crappy product!
It's not that Microsoft don't want bad games on their console, it's that their refusal to let publishers publish games that take advantage of the PS3's technology is childish and is limiting the creativity of developers. It's not quality control in anyway, because any developer that can use the PS3's extra power isn't going to produce a bad game.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
gummibear76 said:
MarkDavis94 said:
but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
They are.
But the good ones have been around since BEFORE the PS3 so the developers are already kinda stuck in making just for the PS3. Hell Squeenix jumped the PS3 exclusive for FF.

I'm not saying they aren't better but theres also A LOT better cross platform titles as well. There are some exclusives that are better than some cross platforms and there are some cross platforms that are better than exclusives

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Rednog said:
So he is criticizing Microsoft for having a policy that they don't want a game to be in any way inferior to the same product on a different console? Isn't that a good thing?
I mean how can you state that it stifles creativity or is bad for the consumer. Ensuring that a game is as good or better on your console as the competing console only makes logical sense or you'd end up in....what is currently Sony's shoes.
I mean it is a really odd stance for Sony to take, the PS3 is constantly getting stuck with versions of a game that actually runs worse on the PS3....which they are trying to spin by saying that it is a good point? Wtf.

And I mean really you're criticizing this now when Nintendo has had the "Nintendo Seal of Approval" which is basically the same concept...for how many years?

How dare Microsoft not want a crappy product!
THIS. THIS right here is all that needs to be said.

EVERYTHING else is QQing by a Sony exec by any definition. "Oh boo hoo hoo, I work and I slave and what thanks do I get? Boo hoo hoo, I wish I was dead..."

Essentially he's saying that Microsoft, whose technology isn't SO inferior that the PS3 looks far and away visually better (I'm sorry, but Resistance 2 didn't look better than Halo Reach and Killzone 3 didn't appear to me to be visually better than Gears of War 2. But these sorts of things are OPINIONS and you can't compare aesthetics because those are in the eye of the beholder), and that Microsoft is doing a bad thing by guaranteeing a level of quality for their customers. You know what, if the publishers feel so "restricted", then go PS3 exclusive.

Oh wait, they won't do that because they don't CARE about pushing the limits of the PS3.. they care about SELLING GAMES and making MONEY, and the Xbox market is just too big to ignore. Besides, they don't care about providing a better experience on one system than another, they care about providing the best experience they CAN to their fans of their GAME.

Next that Sony Exec will be blaming us, the gamers, because we keep buying and playing Xboxes and not PS3's. Because if we bought more PS3's there would be more ps3 GAMES that were worth playing that weren't multi-platform, and publishers wouldn't have a reason to care about the Xbox as much.

Of course, I wonder if he's also going to criticize the PS2 for limiting the industry, since a lot of their own publishers were still trying to work on PS2 games for the first few years of the PS3 instead of moving on to the PS3. I mean, it seems like they are STILL putting out RPG's on the PS2 in Japan.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
It really seems like Microsoft is basically afraid of ending up like the Wii when it comes to cross-platform games.
XBox360 and PS3 get Dead Space, Wii gets Dead Space Extraction;
PS3 and XBox360 get Sonic (2006), Wii gets Sonic and the Sacred Rings;
XBox36o and PS3 get Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Wii gets Tatsunoko vs. Capcom;
PS3 and XBox360 get Dead Rising, Wii gets Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop.
The real irony is that back when the original XBox came out, Microsoft paid developers to produce exclusive content, such as the first Spider-Man movie game. Now, they're working the same strategy in reverse.
Admittedly, I am a bit of a shameless Sony fan, but even I'll admit that Rob Dyer should start wearing shoes made of lunchmeats for as much as he puts his foot in his mouth. This time, though, I think he's made a legitimate point, that Microsoft strongarming developers to use their tech as the high bar is stifling to developers who actually want to try new things.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
bombadilillo said:
mysecondlife said:
I just realized. If content is cut from Skyrim so that it could fit all in xbox's 1 disc (due to Microsoft's bitching), I don't see myself buying this game for a long long time.

That is specifily a game I am concerned about then I heard 1 dvd. WTF. This is supposed to be a gigantic game. I dont like them cutting content down on this...it it does trim content I will be pissed.
I'll have to check up on this but I thought that Oblivion was supposedly a best seller on PC and that Bethesda still prefer designing games for the PC. I could be wrong and I'm not a Bethesda fanboy or anything so yeah the decision to cut content may be possible and would seriously rustle my jimmies.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Just port 'em over to PC instead.

Really though, I find it amusing that somebody would use the term 'open' in reference to the PS3.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
josemlopes said:
bombadilillo said:
mysecondlife said:

That was pretty interesting. I was talking more characters and quests and dialog getting cut though...Big openworld is awesome and obviously doable. But I dont want repeating generic npcs everywhere in the 2000 KM world.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Now we know why PC ports have been so lack luster. It's due to them not being allowed to be better than 360 versions..... Yay, Microsoft.
Yeha when a game is designed for 360 its not exactly cost effective to push for the performance of a PC, unless you're making Battlefield 3 and/or really catering to a mianly PC audience in which case you'd design the game on PC :p

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
bombadilillo said:
josemlopes said:
bombadilillo said:
mysecondlife said:

snip
That was pretty interesting. I was talking more characters and quests and dialog getting cut though...Big openworld is awesome and obviously doable. But I dont want repeating generic npcs everywhere in the 2000 KM world.
That is where that Radiant System comes in hand

Dont worry that much about it, Im sure they can make it look good

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
MarkDavis94 said:
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
It's been said already but they are kinda :p I have an itch that a lot of Xbox'ers don't know a much about the PS3 exclusives, but in all fairness I don't know much about Xbox exclusives either just that their aren't as much :3

On topic though I don't see why Sony feel the need to keep bashing the Xbox. What benefit does Sony get from telling Microsoft that they're too restrictive? It's basically just Sony saying "lolol we're better". Don't think I've ever seen a topic about Microsoft bashing Sony.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
CAPPINJACK said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Ever wondered why PS3 is technically a bit more powerful than 360, yet not many games look better on PS3? Here you go.
Actually, I'm more into PC games situation here, and it's where MS did most damage. Suffice to say you need to go OpenGL to achieve really great graphics. DirectX is a handicap.
This is the most retarded thing I've ever read.

I love it when idiot gamer children pretend they have some sort of knowledge about the APIs used for games. You've never written a line of code for either API have you?

The quality of graphics has NOTHING to do with the API. I've seen amazingly beautiful things done with both OpenGL and Direct3D.

As a developer, I find writing for Direct3D to be much easier. But neither API is horrible or "did the most damage"

Do some bloody research next time idiot.
Lies here. Although without a doubt DirectX makes programming easier. Also, why such a "smart" developer behave like a demented child?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Poor sony, pissed that microsoft gets all the stuff first. Even though all companies are free to make whatever they want for whatever console they want. Just that those same companies like money and make stuff for Sony first.

Its nothing to do with Sony vs MS fanboys. Its plain business. MS is stifling nothing, just that game companies go where the money is due to the high cost of games. Blame the companies that made FF, GTA and soon MGS for going to MS with their games, not MS which is only bringing the best games to there console. Sony had the console business won during the PS1 and PS2, i think they grew complasent with the PS3. Games now cost millions to make, and i dont think selling on one platform only will work in the future. I have a 360, and i am happy that PS3 gamers get to play ME2 and soon ME3. Seems game fans have gotten to caught up with the brand and not the games. We should want all gamers to sample the best games regardless of the consoles. As soon as their is only one console, then all gamers will live at peace of fanboyism and enjoy what we all share, the love of games.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Very well then, to bad, moving on. Getting a taste of todays PC market are we?
What they do to PC versions these days is much worse. It really pisses me off. Turning them into console games and taking away modding possibilities.
Mods is what makes games live on longer. Makes them more worthy of your money. Counter-Strike anyone? Makes sure Half-Life still lives today and CS came from modders.
A lot of content for COD: MW, MW2, probably Black Ops and MW3 to, came from the modding community as well, just saying.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
MarkDavis94 said:
The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
I get what your trying to say and the most likely reason is no creativity, but the playstation exclusives are more superior as a group of hackers tried converting killzone 2 and uncharted over and needed 4 or 5 xbox's to play the first levels

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Please note I prefer the PC over the Xbox or PS3 before reading my comment:

From my standpoint, I don't think someone should be making 9 gig content unless putting it into the fucking game. Added Content shouldn't take up that much space, but instead should take up a small to medium amount of space for said game since it's, you know, added content, which should just be small things, not 9 gig overhauls.

That being said, microsoft's tech IS inferior to sony. The difference though is that said inferior content sells really well, and is MODIFIABLE and is recognized as the CONSUMERS' product, isntead of as a license to use the company's product...

Onto the last matteR: no, developers for sony don't have to jump through hoops, they just have to sign a restrictive license that requires them to pay big bucks to sony to release ONE GAME onto the PS3...

Please also note that the PS3 has made me lose all respect for sony a long time ago.