Sony Exec Blasts Microsoft for Content Policy

Jimi Bove

Jan 29, 2011
[Note: this post comes from someone who doesn't own a PS3 and is extremely mad at Sony for the way they handled the hax.]

I think that was not at all a fanboy comment. I think Microsoft deserved it. I'm glad to finally see someone publicly state the obvious: Microsoft has been stifling gaming, programming, web developing, and really everything virtual for years by making HORRIBLE things and somehow getting them to become the most popular in their category. They need to stop sucking or die, because I'm f**king sick of them damaging the world with their bullshit.

I'm not gonna rush to defend Sony, but I will rush to attack Microsoft. From my perspective, they're literally a school bully that all the other kids (except me) love and defend when he's in danger.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Aw man, I was just thinking that the console war had taken a back seat to the "third-party" war, ever since Sony had that hacking problem, and I for one was glad that it had.

Oh well, let the Battle of the Remakes begin!

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Ever wondered why PS3 is technically a bit more powerful than 360, yet not many games look better on PS3? Here you go.
Actually, I'm more into PC games situation here, and it's where MS did most damage. Suffice to say you need to go OpenGL to achieve really great graphics. DirectX is a handicap.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Why is it that the moment Sony recovers from falling on their face, they start saying stupid shit again... well, perhaps not the content of what he said but the way he said it was worthy of EA's lingo. Maybe it's a company wide medical condition...

Although, I've heard some multiplatform games lacked extra language options on the PS3 because Microsoft didn't want to lack anything the competition had. I might have been able to finish FF XIII if I had the cultural distance of a language barrier...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Now we know why PC ports have been so lack luster. It's due to them not being allowed to be better than 360 versions..... Yay, Microsoft.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I was looking for words to describe my displeasure of Microsoft standpoint, whilst remaining neutral towards the PS3. I do kind of agree with this article, though. It's rediculous that MS is trying to conquer the market by basically punishing the publishers and developers for developing for PS3 only and later on deciding to go for Xbox360. Of course, it's a very smart move from microsoft, even though somewhat risky, but it's stupid when they're being so up front about it.

And in my search to word this, reading this:
ph0b0s123 said:
Now we know why PC ports have been so lack luster. It's due to them not being allowed to be better than 360 versions..... Yay, Microsoft.
really, REALLY made a lot of sense. Saying PS3 can top Xbox 360. Well, quite possibly. But saying Xbox or PS3 can match a PC in terms of gameplay, looks and possibilities; no way. I hate console ports for PC.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
MarkDavis94 said:
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
They usually are better, actually. God of War 3, Uncharted 2, the Ratchet & Clank series, Killzone 2 and 3 etc simply would not be possible on the Xbox 360, and they are all phenomenally good games.
Hang on i'm gona have to call you out on this

not possible on a 360 I'm calling bullshit right now their not possible on 360 like halo's not possible on ps3 I also call bullshit on them being "phenomenally good" their about as good as halo is as in not shit but that's it shame you missed out infamous which was actualy good

other than that this again is just another pissing contest and should be taken with a grain of salt even though I agree with most of it but how are devs being strangled they have an excuse to do less work and they can just blame MS and get away with it

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
thefreeman0001 said:
at least microsoft can protect customer data :p
Nice one.

And as far as creativity goes, Microsoft will have kinect supported minecraft. :D
But really sony and microsoft are going out of their way to find reasons to complain about each other.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sooo a guy who's having a slightly less inferior piece of technology calls another kind of technology inferior? At least he's got the right idea.

Akirai

Jul 31, 2009
MarkDavis94 said:
I see your point and believe me I'm not shitting on PS3 exclusives, I do think that they are good games, but I've never been on a PS3 exclusive and then been dissapointed with cross platform games.
InFamous followed by Prototype. Disappointment.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
So he is criticizing Microsoft for having a policy that they don't want a game to be in any way inferior to the same product on a different console? Isn't that a good thing?
I mean how can you state that it stifles creativity or is bad for the consumer. Ensuring that a game is as good or better on your console as the competing console only makes logical sense or you'd end up in....what is currently Sony's shoes.
I mean it is a really odd stance for Sony to take, the PS3 is constantly getting stuck with versions of a game that actually runs worse on the PS3....which they are trying to spin by saying that it is a good point? Wtf.

And I mean really you're criticizing this now when Nintendo has had the "Nintendo Seal of Approval" which is basically the same concept...for how many years?

How dare Microsoft not want a crappy product!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, "fanboy rants" are not always wrong, and I think this is an example where they have been right on the money, and even having some of the people "in power" within the industry agreeing with them.

As someone who has both systems I can say flat out that the 360 is not as powerful a machine as the PS-3 without any kind of fanboyism involved. Indeed we've known this from the beginning, and things like Sony's control over the Blu-Ray format were going to be a big deal.

From the beginning the developer attitude seems to be that the PS-3 is more powerful, and can do far more, but is VERY difficult to develop for compared to the 360 or the PS-2. What's more game producers increasingly want multi-platform releases as opposed to products exclusive to one console or the other. The console producers themselves are also far less willing to actually pay money to developers for exclusive products than in previous years, it happens, but we see far less of it. In general today your more likely to see a console company pushing for exclusive content for games, rather than exclusive games.

Microsoft's policy is that if someone develops a product for another more powerful console, like the PS-3 that fully exploits what it can do, it will not accept a 360 version of the same game that clearly isn't a good due to the lower spects on the system and the fact that it can't be pushed as far. A game that fully takes advantage of Sony's Blu ray, needs to give up chances of being a multi-platform release because Microsoft will not allow a cut down version for their system designed to work with it's inferior discs.

This policy DOES mean that Microsoft is effectively negating their competition's tech advantage due to the desire of the industry to release everything multi-platform. The Microsoft policy is pretty much "if you fully exploit the PS-3's greater capabilities expect to lose our user base" which does gimp high end game developement since game developers are limiting themselves to the lower technology.

Bad for games, good for Microsoft's bottom line. Of course game companies are just as much to blame because they won't buck the current system. It's no longer about making good games (despite what they might say), but about making as much money as possible. All hype aside they will go for the biggest possible market and profit, rather than trying to make the best possible games. After all, why make say 30 million dollars in profit by making the best possible game you can for the best console technology, when you can produce a crummier game more easily and make say 70 million dollars by selling to a larger audience? Some would say "that's business" and they would be correct, on the other hand I'm the guy who will say that this represents the problem with the industry and what is holding gaming back, I figure when you've already got 30 million dollars in profit coming in it's ridiculous to sacrifice the integrity of the product and the industry to chase more money. Capitalism is a wonderful thing but the problem is that a few greedy bastards wind up ruining it for everyone by not being able to reign themselves in and decide they have enough. Every single industry that gets big winds up falling into the same trap, stops caring about the product or it's actual integrity and advancement, and turning everything into crap.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
oh dear sir/madam, you have just made my day :)
here's a cookeh!

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
I hate the console wars. Instead of bashing each other's consoles, can we try to sell them based on the GOOD merits the console has going for it? Or are we all so insecure that we can't go five seconds without trying to justify our purchase by saying the competitor is inferior?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Rex Fallout said:
MarkDavis94 said:
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
It's a matter of opinion on what is 'better'. Personally I think Uncharted, Infamous, and Resistance are all better than Call of Duty or whatever other multiplatform game you want to mention.

I hate to say it because I will sound like a fan boy but Sony has a point. Microsoft needs to stop acting like a child. They'll refuse to market the game if they don't get something better than the competition? No wonder Sony never gets the map packs early for Call of Duty.
And even then, they're CoD map packs, which are overpriced pieces of bleeergh. I'd rather they had that and we kept our Steam access with Valve games.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
theonecookie said:
Hang on i'm gona have to call you out on this

not possible on a 360 I'm calling bullshit right now their not possible on 360 like halo's not possible on ps3 I also call bullshit on them being "phenomenally good" their about as good as halo is as in not shit but that's it shame you missed out infamous which was actualy good

other than that this again is just another pissing contest and should be taken with a grain of salt even though I agree with most of it but how are devs being strangled they have an excuse to do less work and they can just blame MS and get away with it
Sorry, but your argument doesn't really hold any weight. The PS3 is and always has been more powerful than the Xbox 360, and the developers that work on PS3 exclusives take advantage of this. God of War 3 is literally not possible on the Xbox 360 due to the massive amounts of data storage required, as well as the processing capabilities. Uncharted 2 might be possible on the Xbox 360, but chances are it wouldn't look nearly as good, and the same goes for Ratchet & Clank.

Also, as far as "phenomenally good" goes, all of the games I listed have been EXTREMELY well-received by critics. I've played all of them personally, and they are all, without a doubt, excellent games. And, while I do like the Halo series a lot, it doesn't even hold a candle to Uncharted 2.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
And people used to call me stupid and paranoid because I said Microsoft was deliberately gimping the industry.

Now there's proof. The PS3 is a significant step ahead of the 360 in tech, but PCs are YEARS ahead of both.
Still, this has had the side benefit of me not having to plan ahead for outmoding-mitigation.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
@Logan I'd be interested in your rational for denying the developers the ability to publish a game on your console if the game has been released in a better format on another console.

Maybe Microsoft wanted to make sure that developers didn't get too stressed? And think about it, there is mainly just a storage problem with PS3's, now PC on the other hand are getting widening the gap every year. MS' policy is that they have free right to refusal if someone tries to publish a PC game that looks better.

Of course they probably won't, because they own the PC platform and we all know the policy is nothing but an aim to be anticompetitive.

And it's ridiculous comparing it to Xbox Live doing things like not allowing Steam. That's a genuine closed policy, this is just a bit of bullying legislation and pointless at that because I doubt developers would take the time to put more stuff in a PS3 version very often