Sony Exec: PS4 Versions of Multiplatform Games Must Be The Best

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
"... This time we're considering how to create a better development environment for third parties from the start"

I guess the first step toward that is to not design the console with cell architecture which was the reason the PS3 was such a ***** to develop for in the first place, and why there will be no backwards compatibility. I swear, that sounds like a really dumb idea from the start. Like the Atari 5200 joysticks that tested badly and they produced it anyway because it was seen as a technological one-up on the competition. But the audience hated it. Here, the player has little direct contact with this other than the availability of software titles. Shamus Young did an article on this a little while back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10215-Why-the-PS4-Doesnt-Do-PS3-Games]. I find it amusing that Sony now wants to achieve what their previous console actively sabotaged.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
So,I might just skip the next gen entirely, as NOTHING that has been said about it is making me interested.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
They said something similar about the Vita.

In this day and age if I have a PC and a PS4 and a game comes for both platforms you can bet anything that I will buy the PC version. Consoles have always been about exclusive titles and they need to have a decent number of those (not to mention they must be good) to justify a purchase.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
sid said:
I'm sorry, did he just say that they're giving us a button that allows us to share our experiences, except only the game's developer may deem what we're sharing is appropriate? I was pretty mad about the share button right off the bat, but this borders hilarity.
This just confirms that the button is 100% useless. It's just a resource hog. I wonder if it's an annoyance too.
After all, the nly parts of the game you'll ever may want to actually share is the ones that developer don't want you to.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:
I'm sorry, did he just say that they're giving us a button that allows us to share our experiences, except only the game's developer may deem what we're sharing is appropriate? I was pretty mad about the share button right off the bat, but this borders hilarity.
This just confirms that the button is 100% useless. It's just a resource hog. I wonder if it's an annoyance too.
After all, the nly parts of the game you'll ever may want to actually share is the ones that developer don't want you to.
You guys do realize the share button isn't a Facebook nor a twitter or any social media button? It's a button that allows you to record your most recent gameplay and live stream... I don't see why that is a problem.

I mean, I get why they can restrict. If you try and post end game footage of a new game on youtube a couple days after the game came out, they take it down usually to prevent spoilers. If anything it will be just a temporary block.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Sony paid dearly for making the ps3 hard to develop for and expecting developers to simply deal with it and still come out on top like last gen. It's good they finally got a clue and I honestly want to see them beat out microsoft due to their windows 8 garbage and RROD problems. Only console you had to buy twice.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:
You guys do realize the share button isn't a Facebook nor a twitter or any social media button? It's a button that allows you to record your most recent gameplay and live stream... I don't see why that is a problem.
The entire point of the feature is to be able to record and share the cool moments of a game (or some s00per coolz quickscope bullshit or the like) with your friends. If devs can just say "nope I dont want you to be able to film/ screenshot this" for all the cool moments in the game, then what's the fucking point?

Also, someone with a capture card or a PC will just record it and post it online anyway so it really makes no fucking difference and just serves to make the share button a pointless and redundant feature that anyone who wants to record with and degree of quality will avoid like the plague.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I feel like I'm looking at a humbled Sony. A Sony that is completely off that "king of the world" high that they transferred to the PS3 launch. "The processor is fucking crazy!", "Pay $600, you'll work more hours because it's a Playstation, *****! You know you want it".

What I've heard so far is that the games matter, and that they're providing options to the developers and making their lives as easy as possible. Want bigger levels, textures, and more complex AI? There's 8GB of RAM. Want to add social shit to your game? Yeah we got that, anything else you need? It almost seems like the "share" button and the twitterFaceVerse of the new PSN is just to avoid appearing one-upped by Microsoft's delusional "ultimate box of the living room" stance.

I know the above looks like mad Sony fanboy ranting, but I'm pretty dead set on the PS4 when the exclusives arrive, I'm sorry. They've got some of the best internal studios in the business, they're catering to the best third party studios in the business, and it's being done with a humbled attitude that doesn't perceive us as walking wallets, at least on the surface. I'll get the multiplats on the PC, but I can't wait to see what their guys are cooking up just for the system.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:
The entire point of the feature is to be able to record and share the cool moments of a game (or some s00per coolz quickscope bullshit or the like) with your friends. If devs can just say "nope I dont want you to be able to film/ screenshot this" for all the cool moments in the game, then what's the fucking point?

Also, someone with a capture card or a PC will just record it and post it online anyway so it really makes no fucking difference and just serves to make the share button a pointless and redundant feature that anyone who wants to record with and degree of quality will avoid like the plague.
Implying that cutscenes and such are the only cool parts of the game? I think you're getting way over worked about this and taking it to the extreme by implying that EVERY game will deny access to it. I doubt they would be that stupid.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:

Implying that cutscenes and such are the only cool parts of the game? I think you're getting way over worked about this and taking it to the extreme by implying that EVERY game will deny access to it. I doubt they would be that stupid.
I just don't see the the point of including a share feature and then censoring what is possible to share. It's like cutting the legs out from under your new feature, when sharing is already pretty easy to do and people can stream the censored parts pretty easily by other means if they want to. It's not like they'll be able to hide anything.

It also enables devs to be shady and censor all the bad parts of their game to try to prevent the spread of negative hype. Not saying it will happen often or at all, but this would enable them to do that if they wished.

EDIT: I also never said anything about cutscenes. The article stated that devs could censor boss fights from being shared and such so why do you think they can limit it only to cutscenes? If you're playing a story heavy game, devs could disable sharing of almost the entire game due to spoilers, at which point the feature is worthless.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:

I just don't see the the point of including a share feature and then censoring what is possible to share. It's like cutting the legs out from under your new feature, when sharing is already pretty easy to do and people can stream the censored parts pretty easily by other means if they want to. It's not like they'll be able to hide anything.

It also enables devs to be shady and censor all the bad parts of their game to try to prevent the spread of negative hype. Not saying it will happen often or at all, but this would enable them to do that if they wished.

EDIT: I also never said anything about cutscenes. The article stated that devs could censor boss fights from being shared and such so why do you think they can limit it only to cutscenes? If you're playing a story heavy game, devs could disable sharing of almost the entire game due to spoilers, at which point the feature is worthless.
Censor? No. If you honestly think that would stop people from showing the bad parts of games, then you could say that right now on current consoles the whole fact that they don't have share functions is censoring the game. :/

Also until we see how devs use it, there is no point in being all doom and gloom and damning it before we see it in full use. I bet you there will be a good chunck of games that allow you to use it at any point.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:

Censor? No. If you honestly think that would stop people from showing the bad parts of games, then you could say that right now on current consoles the whole fact that they don't have share functions is censoring the game. :/

Also until we see how devs use it, there is no point in being all doom and gloom and damning it before we see it in full use. I bet you there will be a good chunck of games that allow you to use it at any point.
And yet, all your posts seem to do is highlight perfectly good reasons as to why dev wouldn't censor any of their content. There's clearly no point in doing it for spoilers because anyone with a capture card will upload a "spoiler". You seem to be under the impression that just because they can do something stupid they will. If that were true then every console game this generation would have come with pc style serial codes to prevent used game sales

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
erttheking said:
Not gonna lie guys, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Yeah, seriously.

The thread title doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the article. As far as I could tell, it was a Sony Exec saying how they're trying to correct the mistakes of the PS3 (which make backwards compatibility impossible, sadly) and make the PS4 the most attractive option to 3rd Party Developers. That is precisely what made the PS2 the best console EVER.

So, Sony has learned from the PS3 mistakes, and wants to make the PS4 more like the PS2 - easy to develop for.

Yes, the share button remains stupid, but who cares? The rest of the article was quite positive and actually has me rather excited for the PS4.

So I do not understand why this thread is a bunch of hatred and anger. The man just said they wanted to make the PS4 easy to program for. How is that upsetting?

DrunkOnEstus said:
What I've heard so far is that the games matter, and that they're providing options to the developers and making their lives as easy as possible. Want bigger levels, textures, and more complex AI? There's 8GB of RAM. Want to add social shit to your game? Yeah we got that, anything else you need?
This. This right here. Sony is saying that games matter - why are gamers pissed about this?

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
This. This right here. Sony is saying that games matter - why are gamers pissed about this?
That much should be obvious from the moment you are releasing a GAME console.

All they're saying is that they learned from their mistakes on PS3.....and that isn't saying much considering that they've now excluded all the PS3 and PS2 games from the library of the new console. Yes, dev friendliness is good in the long run.....But when that long run has to compete with 19+ years of games I'm not seeing the benefit right now.

I'm not pissed at them, I'm pissed at their attitude. They've continually built up the PS4 as this amazing machine and I have a total of 0 reasons to get excited for it, and even their "social integration" feature has now been rendered to be LESS than a glorified capture card. So now the features I'm unexcited for are even more unexcited.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:

And yet, all your posts seem to do is highlight perfectly good reasons as to why dev wouldn't censor any of their content. There's clearly no point in doing it for spoilers because anyone with a capture card will upload a "spoiler". You seem to be under the impression that just because they can do something stupid they will. If that were true then every console game this generation would have come with pc style serial codes to prevent used game sales
Sorry, but were you talking to me or the other poster? Because I was saying just because they can, doesn't mean they will.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
glad to see they thinking about games especially multiform. I'm fairly certain that i will buy PS4 on release.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Korten12 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Korten12 said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
sid said:

Sorry, but were you talking to me or the other poster? Because I was saying just because they can, doesn't mean they will.
Derp derp. Not sure how that happened. Then I agree with everything you say and I think you're a very smart person :)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
an Xperia Play
Someone else has one!?

Flabbergasted shock aside. Sony are owning up to their mistakes with the PS3 here guys. They fucked up and fixing the problems that CELL caused them means they have to create new problems like no backward compatibility. That sucks donkey balls its true but just look at the position they managed to put themselves in for designing the PS4.

It in effect boils down to three choices they could have made.

#1. Design the PS4 with a CELL processor to allow for backward compatibility and maintain all of the issues with attracting third party devs to code for the bloody thing.

#2. Design the PS4 with another processor type that devs know how to program for already like the X86 pc architecture and in doing so, remove all backward compatibility due to the horrific mess that software emulation of CELL would be.

#3. Design the PS4 with an easy to use processor for devs and a CELL processor built onto the board for hardware emulation of PS3 games (the 60gb release model of the PS3 has a PS2 processor for the same reason) and in doing so run the risk of slightly buggy hardware and a high price tag for development of the console and so, price tag on sales.

What Sony have done is a mix of 2 and 3. But rather than put the CELL on the console itself they are looking at trying to build servers to process PS3 games and stream them to consoles which will cut down on the cost per console immensely. I don't know how well this will work and the always online nature of such a service worries me. But I'm willing to wait and see what they do before slamming them.

Open note to the people yelling "Show us the games!"
Please calm down. Sony has already shown us far more than Microsoft and it is likely they are waiting for E3 to show their box and games off now that we all know the innards of the box which, surprise surprise, is more important than what the plastic shell looks like.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
vallorn said:
Open note to the people yelling "Show us the games!"
Please calm down. Sony has already shown us far more than Microsoft and it is likely they are waiting for E3 to show their box and games off now that we all know the innards of the box which, surprise surprise, is more important than what the plastic shell looks like.
They really should not wait for E3 or the Xbox Infinity official reveal, to reveal more games IMO.
Sony has the advantage of time, and no other real competition apart from Microsoft here.

Maybe just teasers for the E3 reveals, anything to capitalize on the bad press surrounding the next Xbox without actually directly commenting on their competitors. Because we all know how that turned out last time...