Sony Exec: PS4 Versions of Multiplatform Games Must Be The Best

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Desert Punk said:
ResonanceSD said:
Sorry sony, by the end of the year I'll have one of these, so good luck in your efforts.

But why have sony forgotten that the main point of consoles? What does the PS4 do that no other console will? "looking good" isn't an option.
I dont think the titian is going to come down to less than 800 by the end of the year, or are you going to be throwing that much cash at it?
Selling my two gtx 580's and picking up a Titan Ultra edition when it comes out.

Also I have a job, so, you know.
Would be a bit pointless as the developers that have the ability to push graphical boundaries are tied to publishers that want to support the biggest markets , causal gaming on consoles.
Basically speaking your Titan will be playing higher textures and draw distances on poorly optimised engines designed primarily for systems with lesser hardware.

IIRC TotalBiscut has a pair of Titans in his PC and he gets frame rate issues still with some current games.

It may change with the new consoles and new hardware but I fear the PC will still be a after thought in the developers plans, if they have some spare time to bother with the PC version... or fob it off to some contract studio to port.
The PC titles these days tend to be small quirky titles with lots of unusual ideas and mechanics where some indies are experimenting... hardly going to stress any graphics cards, let alone Titans.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Ironically despite the flame inducing title that the article had I am starting to cool down on my Sony hate a bit. This is mostly because the words of that title actually never appeared in the article. Escapist news contributors really like riling folks up don't they? Quite an accomplishment really. Part of it is that they seem to be dropping some of the attitude that they had towards their consumers. WHen it was first announced I thought that the lack of backwards compatibility was yet another fuck you to their customers. Then I learned that the reason they couldn't was because they screwed up so royally with the Cell architecture on the PS 3. At least they manned up on it.

Now is this streaming function they are working on going to be somehow free for people who owned legit copies of PS 3 games or is this going to be another way to siphon money out of your wallets? This is a question that remains to be answered.

Lastly, why are some many of these social media functions being added to these consoles? Many homes now have these things called smart TVs and Blu ray players with smart TV functions. This largely renders redundant a lot of this functionality. Wouldn't it be better if they spent that extra money on simply making the best, most reliable, easy to develop for gaming console out there?

Inquiring minds want to know.

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
It was very obvious he was talking about the best console :p Everyone already knows PCs are better (hell, the PS4sCPU cores are from the ultra mobile space, they're hardly going to worry a mid range PC desktop CPU). PCs cannot possibly be worse than a console because of a myriad of factors. So it'd be pants on head retarded for him to try and say it's better than a PC.

Therefore, just chill!

Personally, i'm happy Sony are banging on about games rather than sharing (yes, it's been mentioned, but it doesn't seem to be the MAIN focus of the PS4) and how we'll always need to be online. At least one console manufacturer is doing something kind of right.

ASnogarD said:
IIRC TotalBiscut has a pair of Titans in his PC and he gets frame rate issues still with some current games.
Do note that those settings are well beyond anything that the console version has though. Also, that is down to them not optimizing, but very high end 'throw it in because it's pretty but still experimental' effects aren't. HBAO was a massive hog back when it was introduced, now even consoles can have cut down versions of it.

PCs are a perfect testbed for trying out new effects because they don't need to be optimized for thousands of man hours to implement, since people can turn them off if needs be. Never attribute 'newest game performance' to console quality, because most mid/upper mid range PCs can run console quality games (1280x720, low/medium) at eye watering FPS that is beyond ludicrous. I can easily be pushing ~600fps in portal 2, for example, even with most settings turned up maximum, never mind at what the PS3/360 runs it at! Is that pointless? definitely, but it does mean when a game with those lovely experimental effects turns up, i can run it (and no, i don't have titans, i have a single gtx670, which doesn't suffer issues).

So therefore always remember the context when talking about 'PC performance'. Especially when talking about re purposed scientific computation cores that weren't really designed for games properly anyway.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
ASnogarD said:
ResonanceSD said:
Desert Punk said:
ResonanceSD said:
Sorry sony, by the end of the year I'll have one of these, so good luck in your efforts.

But why have sony forgotten that the main point of consoles? What does the PS4 do that no other console will? "looking good" isn't an option.
I dont think the titian is going to come down to less than 800 by the end of the year, or are you going to be throwing that much cash at it?
Selling my two gtx 580's and picking up a Titan Ultra edition when it comes out.

Would be a bit pointless as the developers that have the ability to push graphical boundaries are tied to publishers that want to support the biggest markets , causal gaming on consoles.
Basically speaking your Titan will be playing higher textures and draw distances on poorly optimised engines designed primarily for systems with lesser hardware.

It may change with the new consoles and new hardware but I fear the PC will still be a after thought in the developers plans, if they have some spare time to bother with the PC version... or fob it off to some contract studio to port.
The PC titles these days tend to be small quirky titles with lots of unusual ideas and mechanics where some indies are experimenting... hardly going to stress any graphics cards, let alone Titans.

I'm only getting it to run 5760x1080 quietly. With less power draw. And with more VRAM.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
NextGen consoles lost all their adavantages over PC gaming.
PS3, X360 already made it worse but PS4 M$Box will downright burry their own purpose.

Yoshida said it himself:

"He said when the PS4 was first revealed, they wanted to focus on the most important aspect of the console: that it is a gaming machine, hence the multimedia aspects of the system were slightly downplayed."

when you have to explicitly point out that a GAMING console is made for GAMING, then there is something very wrong about it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Super Not Cosmo said:
So far there is nothing really getting me excited about this upcoming (or current if you include the WiiU) generation of consoles. With GTA5 and Watchdogs both getting PS3/360 releases it's looking more and more like I might just hold tight with my PS3/360 for a year or two before making the jump into any consoles from this most recent generation.

The way it stands now I have such a back log of games on my cuurent consoles I've bought and not played yet I could probably start a new game and play it through to completion then repeat the process and not have to buy another game until sometime next year.
That's actually the best idea, to be honest. The last three console launches are pretty indicative of what the next two are going to be like: Tons of Ubisoft, a few extra launch titles in addition to Ubisoft, and that's likely about it. Heck, it took the Vita until this spring and summer to start getting games I want to buy and play, such as the recently released Soul Sacrifice and the upcoming re-release of Muramasa.

Also, despite being the better selling handheld, the 3ds doesn't have it much better. The only difference between the 3ds and the Vita is that the 3ds came out first, went through it's lack of games crisis before the Vita, and didn't reach a recovery point until shortly after the release of the 3ds XL.

ASnogarD said:
ResonanceSD said:
Desert Punk said:
ResonanceSD said:

The highest settings are by their nature poorly optimized. Usually when a company releases recommended settings, anything higher than the recommended is typically superfluous in visual difference. The one exception is draw distance, which given developers using fog to hide lower draw distances, can turn a flush and floral summer field into Silent Hill meets Bambi.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I honestly thought that the PS3 has the best variation in 3rd party titles this gen. Almost every JRPG that has a timed 360 exclusive period came to the PS3 with higher sales and extra content. Bethesda's timed exclusive DLC almost never worked on the 360 when released. The PS3 was also the one console that localized some games that Japanese devs were scared to release worldwide, and most of those games sold well. (Yakuza, Way of the Samurai).

The one franchise I can think of that truly jumped Sony's ship was Monster Hunter and being a Nintendo only franchise hasn't worked well fore that series. Don't get me wrong MH tri sold well on the Wii, but not half as well as any of the PSP entries.

Cancelling the PS3 Monster Hunter was pretty stupid on Capcom's part IMO. MH3 isn't selling that well on the Wii U or 3DS (at least compare to its PSP predecessors) and I can't see MH4 being a big deal on the 3DS this summer when it supposedly is to be released.

To be honest, for me its a "No Monster Hunter, No PS Vita" rule for me right now. That and that thing's price is too high for anywhere that isn't Japan.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Colt47 said:
That's actually the best idea, to be honest. The last three console launches are pretty indicative of what the next two are going to be like: Tons of Ubisoft, a few extra launch titles in addition to Ubisoft, and that's likely about it. Heck, it took the Vita until this spring and summer to start getting games I want to buy and play, such as the recently released Soul Sacrifice and the upcoming re-release of Muramasa.
Muramasa getting a re-release? Awesome, that was one of the games on the Wii that actually mattered at all. If the Vita's price comes down, I'll get one.
Also, despite being the better selling handheld, the 3ds doesn't have it much better. The only difference between the 3ds and the Vita is that the 3ds came out first, went through it's lack of games crisis before the Vita, and didn't reach a recovery point until shortly after the release of the 3ds XL.
That 33% worldwide price cut that came 6 months after launch certainly helped. I can't think of the last time I heard of ANY game on the 3DS using the 3D feature. Guess that died pretty quickly, just like the Wii's motion control never got utilized to anything more than a waggle past its 3rd year, and just like no 3rd party game on the Wii U is really utilizing the tablet controller. Gimmicks don't work anymore for consoles.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Misleading title ... disappointing Mr. Bogos.

Not sure what's up with all the bashing in the thread. Sony more or less, to the best of their abilities, tried to give everyone what they wanted.

Bara_no_Hime said:
So, Sony has learned from the PS3 mistakes, and wants to make the PS4 more like the PS2 - easy to develop for.
I regret to inform you that the PS2 was NOT EASY to develop for. It was living hell. But it has so much momentum that developers didn't have a choice.

The PS3 was actually a lot less painful to work with. However it was "different" and that didn't sit well with developers who had datelines to meet and are under a lot of pressure.

Thank heavens, Krazy Ken is gone. A lot of the PS3's design was driven by his whims rather than practicality. Why 8 SPUs (cut to 7 to improve yield) ? Because Ken said so ...

Thankfully, the division does seem to be run by more pragmatic people now.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Wont happen. It would be nice but the most you would get would be a slightly higher definition and the game will have a better draw distance and less pop up. End of the day, the PS4 will sell a lot but compared to an already installed user base of 360/PS3 users in their millions.....are you as a developer going to put more effort into the PS4 version all the 360/PS3 version?

Actually, can you remember if games released on both current and next gen were different prices? I know when the 360/PS3 were released they had games on them and the xbox/PS2. Did they charge more money for the PS3 version than the PS2 version?

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
So your business plan is to hope and pray that competition magically stops happening? Good luck with that.

Hey, it worked when mobiles came along, right?

I'm sure PS4 will easily be unilaterally seen as "the best" out of the 5 or 6 living room systems all coming out in the next generation, even though the PS4 is like half the power of typical gaming PC and this gap will only widen as time goes on.

(Captcha: Tough evolved. Oh, the irony.)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
After a generation of being pissed off at Sony for hardware related missteps, I'm glad they at least understand the needs of the market. They're certainly moving in the right direction and I have a renewed faith in them that was lost.

This will transition the same way consoles have transitioned before. There will be a season of overlapping titles as well as exclusive titles to push the move and once the momentum has been gained then the switch will flip. You just have to be sure the new console is worth getting and judging from the specs it's a significant step.

In any event, to the "pc gamers pwn all" comments. Again, better consoles mean we get better games. It is only a win/win for consoles to be more powerful. But don't forget, a pc with 8 GB of RAM is not the same as a console with 8 GB of RAM. Consoles optimize in an entirely different and more efficient manner than pcs and this accounts for why a game like Skyrim was playable on consoles with ancient processors and 512 MBs (256 MB if you account for the PS3's partitioned RAM) when it wasn't playable on pcs with similar specs. I am perfectly happy to have a console as my media and living room gaming station while having my pc as my solo-gaming machine. But, if I only had money to afford one console or a pc, I can see why I'd want to be in the camp of the one I went with or else face buyers remorse. As is, consoles and pcs are a relatively cheap investment compared to the amount of entertainment I get from them.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Ya. PCs have their own problems. There are significant restrictions (a lot of the hardware is hidden from you) and overhead (many software layers between you and the hardware; reduces efficiency). Sure you can get the latest and greatest, but it costs money to do so.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Abomination said:
I mean, I most certainly would rather play Skyrim on Playstation or Xbox if they... you know... had the incredible mod support and community that the PC version offered.

What Playstation has going for it is its exclusives, that's it. It has a roster of some damn fine Playstation only games that would run like a dream on PCs, that PC users would want to mod the fuck out of and that only exist on the Playstation to make people actually want to buy a Playstation.

I guess it also has the benefit of having a better online system than Xbox live which makes one wonder if Xbox would even register if it wasn't for Halo.
There are ALOT of people that would disagree with you on the PS3 having a better online system. In fact, a majority would disagree.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Well the controller is already announced and it's the same design as always, so I guess the goal of having the most comfortable one is out the window already. But I'm rooting for Sony to live up to the rest of them

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I'm going to be optimistic and say that they seem to have learnt from their mistakes. That said, I'm probably going to either stay with my laptop or upgrade to a gaming PC, but I wish Sony well, they seem like the least dick-ish this time round.