Sony Financials Spiraling Downward: $2.2 Billion Net Loss This Year

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Strazdas said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Not sure what you mean, that I lost choice the moment I bought a console. Because its not PC?
With a console, you are only limited to what the corporation owning your chosen console allows you to have. both hardware and software wise. however with PC, tablet and to an extent mobile phones you are allowed to choose your own hardware and software.
By choice I am referring to choice between Sony and Microsoft, via the consoles.

But your point here is really stretching it, though. In those terms, you lost your ability to choose as well. Because you are still bound by a corporations choice whether or not to put the console exclusives on the PC, etc. etc. I chose to get the Xbox, and chose to leave PC gaming altogether, and have chosen to continue to buy Xboxes, and have chosen what games I wanted to purchase... and so on, and so on.

So you are really grasping at straws when you try to say I lost all choice by choosing a console.... and honestly I am still scratching my head at that one, but hey man... whatever floats your boat. :)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
Strazdas said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Not sure what you mean, that I lost choice the moment I bought a console. Because its not PC?
With a console, you are only limited to what the corporation owning your chosen console allows you to have. both hardware and software wise. however with PC, tablet and to an extent mobile phones you are allowed to choose your own hardware and software.
By choice I am referring to choice between Sony and Microsoft, via the consoles.

But your point here is really stretching it, though. In those terms, you lost your ability to choose as well. Because you are still bound by a corporations choice whether or not to put the console exclusives on the PC, etc. etc. I chose to get the Xbox, and chose to leave PC gaming altogether, and have chosen to continue to buy Xboxes, and have chosen what games I wanted to purchase... and so on, and so on.

So you are really grasping at straws when you try to say I lost all choice by choosing a console.... and honestly I am still scratching my head at that one, but hey man... whatever floats your boat. :)
choosing between two slavetraders are still going to leave you a slave.

It is true that i sacrificed some choices in regards to exclusives, however in this case consoles would still loose. there are more PC exclusive games than there are games available on all 3 consoles put together (exclusive or not). and before you go crying "but its not AAA" - tastes differ. my favorite games are PC exclusives (grand strategy) and they are worth 10 TLOU for me. for others it may be different. Personally i am against exclusivity, i think all games should be available on all platforms where physically possible (for example you dont expecr Crysis to run on N64).

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Strazdas said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Strazdas said:
Riff Moonraker said:

choosing between two slavetraders are still going to leave you a slave.

It is true that i sacrificed some choices in regards to exclusives, however in this case consoles would still loose. there are more PC exclusive games than there are games available on all 3 consoles put together (exclusive or not). and before you go crying "but its not AAA" - tastes differ. my favorite games are PC exclusives (grand strategy) and they are worth 10 TLOU for me. for others it may be different. Personally i am against exclusivity, i think all games should be available on all platforms where physically possible (for example you dont expecr Crysis to run on N64).
Again, when you look at it that way, it could apply to virtually anything. Most of our jobs, for example. Most of us work because we HAVE to, not because we want to, or at the very least there are other things we would much rather do and get paid for, but simply dont have that option. You are a slave to that, as well, in that regard, or pretty much anything else.

I used to play PC games exclusively, but switched over to the Xbox full time. I chose to do that, because thats what I want to do, and thats what I like to do. You prefer PC, your choice, its all good. But all of that is still choice. There are things in both cases that happen that are outside of our choice, and we have no input in it whatsoever, sure... again, its our choice to stick with that, or go somewhere else.

Yeah, the whole AAA thing holds no water with me, either. I agree with you, its personal preference, and there are plenty of games not considered AAA that are awesome.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
Again, when you look at it that way, it could apply to virtually anything. Most of our jobs, for example. Most of us work because we HAVE to, not because we want to, or at the very least there are other things we would much rather do and get paid for, but simply dont have that option. You are a slave to that, as well, in that regard, or pretty much anything else.

I used to play PC games exclusively, but switched over to the Xbox full time. I chose to do that, because thats what I want to do, and thats what I like to do. You prefer PC, your choice, its all good. But all of that is still choice. There are things in both cases that happen that are outside of our choice, and we have no input in it whatsoever, sure... again, its our choice to stick with that, or go somewhere else.

Yeah, the whole AAA thing holds no water with me, either. I agree with you, its personal preference, and there are plenty of games not considered AAA that are awesome.
you are correct that in many areas of life we forgo our choice for something else. Jobs is one of thos areas for many people. I am lucky enough to find a job that i thouraly enjoy and i chose to do it even though i had an opportunity to change it (other job offer). i am aware not everyone is in that position though.

Yes, you chose to leave your choices behind and go with a way where you wont have any. you probably have reasons for doing so, even though i cannot understand them. We really started with that to begin with - you choosing a platform that limits your choices.