Sony Fund Indie Developers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Fund Indie Developers

In an effort to secure more exclusive downloadable content for PSN, Sony are offering to help pay for the development.

In recent months Microsoft have pulled off a number of coups with downloadable content, as the GTAIV expansion The Lost and the Damned and both of the Fallout 3 expansions have been Microsoft exclusives. But Sony isn't the sort of company to just take that lying down, and have announced a new initiative that should help bring high-quality downloadable content to PSN.

Under the scheme, known as the Pub Fund, Sony would match the budget of the developer and assist in marketing and design, but the IP and any royalties would still belong to the developer. Sony seem to be reluctant to discuss the fine details of the scheme, which isn't exactly surprising, but it's great to see Sony supporting independent developers in this way.

The first game to be released under the scheme is Doublesix's Burn Zombie Burn, which was released on PSN on Thursday to respectable reviews.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/104/sony-offers-dev-support-fund]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
(correct me if I'm wrong on this) So basically Sony are paying partially for indie developer's budget?

Cool :D

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
BudZer said:
Jumplion said:
(correct me if I'm wrong on this) So basically Sony are paying partially for indie developer's budget?

Not partially, they cover the entire budget if it remains exclusive.
*whistles*, shit that's a big promise. No doubt there's some catch to this, but still, they cover the entire buget?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onmi said:
Jumplion said:
BudZer said:
Jumplion said:

*whistles*, shit that's a big promise. No doubt there's some catch to this, but still, they cover the entire buget?
Seems like a good deal to go exclusive, Microsoft says sure keep this DLC exclusive instead of earning it on 3 platforms. Sony says we will pay the budget for you to MAKE your game if you only release it here.

I'm just wondering how this will affect the sony budget
There has to be a catch to it, like we'll pay your budget unil it goes past a certain limit or something. After all, they don't want to talk about the specifics.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
If this is as it seems, and if the indi community take to it I can very clearly see playstation 3 becoming the prefered console for 'hardcore' gamers, could definately boost console sales significantly as well. Brilliant move by sony.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Dys said:
If this is as it seems, and if the indie community take to it I can very clearly see Playstation 3 becoming the preferred console for 'hardcore' gamers, could definitely boost console sales significantly as well. Brilliant move by Sony.
Sony, your cynicism continues to serve you well.

It is probably a ploy towards the "hardcore" demographic, backed up by the hardware in the Playstation 3.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
BudZer said:
Jumplion said:

Um, no, they match the budget. Effectively they pay for half of the development.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
nilcypher said:
Jumplion said:
BudZer said:
Jumplion said:

Um, no, they match the budget. Effectively they pay for half of the development.
A'ight, thanks for clearing that up. Damn you BudZer, you have lied to me! *shakes fist*

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
Onmi said:
Jumplion said:
BudZer said:
Jumplion said:

Seems like a good deal to go exclusive, Microsoft says sure keep this DLC exclusive instead of earning it on 3 platforms. Sony says we will pay the budget for you to MAKE your game if you only release it here.

I'm just wondering how this will affect the sony budget
There has to be a catch to it, like we'll pay your budget unil it goes past a certain limit or something. After all, they don't want to talk about the specifics.
The catch is it has to be developed on the PS3.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Awesome, this seems to be a good move. They already have AAA PSN titles, this should only ensure a new influx of new ones.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Jumplion said:

I approve of this too.
Since this is happening I wonder how awesome the next game that "that game company" makes is.