Sony Investigating "Isolated" Reported PS4 Problems

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sony Investigating "Isolated" Reported PS4 Problems

Some Reddit users and journalists have received defective PS4 units, but Sony assures these are isolated incidents.

Having a console before it launches is pretty great - unless it doesn't work. After reports of PS4 issues, President of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida responded on Twitter, "Be assured we are investigating reported PS4 issues. The number is very small compared to shipped, we believe they are isolated incidents." Yoshida later confirmed the issues are small compared to the number of shipped pre-launch units.

Reddit user Other winners [http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qjhun/i_have_the_taco_bell_ps4_right_now_in_my_hands_ama/cddipo4] of Taco Bell's promotion have also had problems with faulty PS4 units.

IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems] reports having the same problem, but the problem did not begin until updating the PS4 to the necessary 1.50 system update. IGN used different HDMI cables, inputs, a different TV, inserting a disc, connecting to the internet, and resetting the console. None of this fixed the problem, and a Sony PlayStation representative visited and replaced IGN's broken PS4.

Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231] also had problems with a pre-release PS4. The first retail unit provided to Kotaku had a faulty HDMI jack that they could not fully plug an HDMI cable into, making the PS4 unable to send a signal to the TV. After trying different cables and monitors with no success, it was apparent the problem was with the PS4. Kotaku reports the other four units they have tested work fine.

Users with pre-launch PS4 units who have had problems with the system should contact Sony support at 1-800-345-SONY.

Source: Eurogamer [https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/400989816617443328]

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Congratulations! You win a defective unit! Please sign over your soul at the bottom of the EULA.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Great... If those where faulty in "isolated incidents" out of the comparatively small number of shipped devices just imagine how many people will be receiving faulty consoles when millions of these are shipped over the next few weeks. It bodes ill for the build quality of every console during the same production run, maybe even every console between first production and Sony becoming aware of this.

I have until 27th to cancel mine and can send it back with 14 days for no reason other than I want to, I will be keeping my eye on the US launch between now and then.

luvd1 said:
So no RRoD yet? Sweet.
No YLoD either...

Both Microsoft and Sony made sure the consoles actually worked when you first had them though, Sony couldn't seem to manage that this time.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Of course they'll say these are isolated incidents. That's the SOP for poor quality control. I wonder if BPoD(blue pulse of death) will be the new RRoD.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
J Tyran said:
Great... If those where faulty in "isolated incidents" out of the comparatively small number of shipped devices just imagine how many people will be receiving faulty consoles when millions of these are shipped over the next few weeks. It bodes ill for the build quality of every console during the same production run, maybe even every console between first production and Sony becoming aware of this.

I have until 27th to cancel mine and can send it back with 14 days for no reason other than I want to, I will be keeping my eye on the US launch between now and then.
Exactly what i thought. If the small number that have been given out early are having problems what about when its released. Ok, you cant guarantee every single console will work, thats impossible - but if the percentage of pre release failing is worrying.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
So I was saying that having to do an OS update before the system even officially launched sounded like somebody screwed up and my oh my oh my, this update is bricking systems.

Pardon me as I smirk smugly.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Spaceman Spiff said:
Of course they'll say these are isolated incidents. That's the SOP for poor quality control. I wonder if BPoD(blue pulse of death) will be the new RRoD.
I was thinking of calling it the WoD (wink of death). It makes it sound almost flirty.

They all say this. It's the standard response but mostly true. All new hardware go through this stuff. The first batch of any launch of any hardware has ever gone cleanly. Me bothered? Nah. I'm too long in the tooth, I'd had been surprised if there wasn't any buggy systems.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
J Tyran said:

Exactly what i thought. If the small number that have been given out early are having problems what about when its released. Ok, you cant guarantee every single console will work, thats impossible - but if the percentage of pre release failing is worrying.
Yeah exactly these are a very small sample of a few thousand consoles, such a huge failure rate in a small sample is a very worrying sign. The US might be in trouble because Sony have no real way of getting every console from bad batches back for recall or check without disappointing a lot of customers at launch, they will just have to let them go to the public and let the customers who get the bad ones suck it up and get a replacement. In the EU they have some time to try and weed a few of them out.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Possibly this is what comes of having bits of your machine assembled by near slave labor interns who sometimes choose suicide as an alternative to doing their suck job.

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Well it's not a RRoD yet.
The problem doesn't seem to brick the system but scramble the output signal from what I read from the news.
It also seem to be a software not hardware problem, so even a simple rollback should solve it.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
luvd1 said:
So no RRoD yet? Sweet.
Spaceman Spiff said:
Agreed, the 'Pulsing Blue Light' kind of sounds like that to me.

Alpha Maeko said:
Congratulations! You win a defective unit! Please sign over your soul at the bottom of the EULA.
Eh, at least they're quickly replacing everything. It doesn't really sound like satanic levels of mischief to me.

I was planning on picking one up tonight or tomorrow. If they truly are 'isolated' cases then it's NBD, but if any of those guys report another failure in the next 24 hours it could stop a lot of potential sales until the next model is released.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
roseofbattle said:
Other winners [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715057]
I think you may have linked to a troll thread. Nearly 7000 posts ridiculing the OP, and the threads title is "like a one man human centipede".

So out of the 4400~ PS4s in the wild right now, only between 10-20 of them are faulty and mostly for different reasons. Seems like a pretty low failure rate that is being blown out of proportion...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
This is worrying but I'm going to bet that it's a software bug with the system updates.... Not to mention I'm reassured that Sony seem to be giving good tech support to the affected...

And this kids is why you don't preorder brand new hardware. Bugs for everyone!

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
FightingFurball said:
Well it's not a RRoD yet.
The problem doesn't seem to brick the system but scramble the output signal from what I read from the news.
It also seem to be a software not hardware problem, so even a simple rollback should solve it.
If you can't see or hear what you're doing, that equates to a bricked system, as it's now impossible to do anything.

Further, if you can't see or hear anything, how can you do 'a simple rollback'?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmm, I remember my old 360 had a similar HDMI problem, I solved it by jamming 3 lego bricks under the cable plug in the machine.

Though this seems to mainly be affecting "pre launch" systems.......could be a software problem or just being on the receiving end of a bad luck machine. Who knows, but at least Sony seems to be listening to those affected.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
luvd1 said:
So no RRoD yet? Sweet.
Spaceman Spiff said:
Agreed, the 'Pulsing Blue Light' kind of sounds like that to me.

Alpha Maeko said:
Eh, at least they're quickly replacing everything. It doesn't really sound like satanic levels of mischief to me.

I was planning on picking one up tonight or tomorrow. If they truly are 'isolated' cases then it's NBD, but if any of those guys report another failure in the next 24 hours it could stop a lot of potential sales until the next model is released.
I'm not sure if I'll get either of the consoles, this generation.

But if I do, it's more likely that I'll be giving my money to Merkerserft, again. I can't help it that most of the games I care about usually get better experiences on the Xbox. (The PS3 version either didn't exist or came out way later, or had lots of bugs 'n glitches in comparison.)

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Advice I've gotten from nearly 30 years of gaming...

Never buy a launch system. That's when they're the most expensive, most defective, the smallest game library, the least amount of features...

... But I know some people need to scratch their Killzone itch, so I understand.