Sony Lifts One to Michael in Awesome PS3 Ad

IcyTicey

Sep 20, 2011
Irridium said:
I saw Chell!

She ran in the background of the Clown playing Chess with Sackboy.

Anyway, sweet commercial. Kind of a disappointment, since I expected a bit more. But eh, could be worse.
I spotted Chell the first time I watched it, but somehow missed her the second and third time I view it. I cant even finish running a character's name through my head before another two pop up.

I like all the different currency in the payment tray. Materia for the win!

Great job Sony!

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
the video glosses over a bunch of characters so quickly that it is easy to miss them. I didn't even notice Paul Phoenix or Chell til I watched through it more slowly.

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
Is it bad that I recognized every single character in this video?

Anyways, terrific ad. Sony has some of the best marketing in gaming, period.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
That was a very good ad. Im very surprised that they didn't just use Sony characters.

Also, who is the black girl in the beginning, she looks a bit like chell but i'm not sure.

Sep 14, 2009
hah not gonna lie that was awesome, had a smile on my face the whole time.

still they should've used some old characters that are "rightfully" theirs

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Heh. Only if my name was Michael.
ToastiestZombie said:
That was a very good ad. Im very surprised that they didn't just use Sony characters.

Also, who is the black girl in the beginning, she looks a bit like chell but i'm not sure.
black girl's just no body. if she was a somebody, she would be inside that room.

Dec 27, 2010
I'm always rather astounded at how good Sony's advertisement department is. They always manage to make such memorable commercials.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Totally forgot to check this ad out after I saw teaser. Awesome tribute to anyone who prides him/herself on being gamer. Good to know that at least Sony's marketing department is doing a good job.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That was a pretty awesome ad. Great to see so many characters together.
And, I'm wondering if that was actually Nolan North playing Drake. I've seen his picture before, it looked like him.

Regardless, great ad. Props Sony, better than your previous PS3 ads.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I was laughing when I saw Lightning and Solid Snake. Really awesome ad.
Sony should make more like this.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
In case no one saw... Ratchet at 1:45, between Hitman and Ezio. Lots of Easter Eggs in this. Awesome ad.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
TimeLord said:
I'm unsure who Michael is, maybe that's the point. Epic advert non-the-less!
Just a name for "the user."

What else needs to be explained? They are all telling stories about the turning points of their lives, and "michael" is responsible. Michael is the player.

Also, love the fact the article only says "The guy from InFamous." I guess Cole really is Blandy McBland.
I think what he means is that, in an advert about "the player," it's odd that they chose to give him a name and a face at all- since it necessarily limits what should be an open fantasy. As it stands, the commercial is limiting "the player" to young white males in general, and those named "Michael" in particular.

I think it would be better if the player was a faceless diety-like character with a generic title like "the user" or "the player."

Edit: Oh, wait, never mind, I thought you were quoting someone else.
But yeah, I think it should have been a nameless character to encompass anyone who plays these games.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Anyone else instantly think the cantina(sp?) scene from Star Wars?

Very epic ad overall, loved the mix of Sony and third party characters.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I even saw Paul from Tekken there. Ratchet, Sackboy and Ezio all look pretty cool, but Old Snake and Drake were the best!

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Trishbot said:
It was a good trailer... but I'm sort of sad it was a Sony-exclusive thing. I would have killed to see Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, Master Chief, or Marcus Fenix in there, because they're apart of my gaming life too, just as much as Nathan Drake or Kratos.

Oh well.
That would be awesome :D One big call-out to all gamers.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Whos the guy who starts the speech... not snake the guy who just came in