Sony Lifts One to Michael in Awesome PS3 Ad

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
I take my metaphorical hat off to sony for this ad. Well played sony.

Actually watched 4 or 5 times in a row, only on the last viewing did I see Chell.

I hope SackBoy won his chess match.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Prof. Monkeypox said:
I think what he means is that, in an advert about "the player," it's odd that they chose to give him a name and a face at all- since it necessarily limits what should be an open fantasy. As it stands, the commercial is limiting "the player" to young white males in general, and those named "Michael" in particular.

I think it would be better if the player was a faceless diety-like character with a generic title like "the user" or "the player."

Edit: Oh, wait, never mind, I thought you were quoting someone else.
But yeah, I think it should have been a nameless character to encompass anyone who plays these games.
Damn, you're right. I'm not a young white male named Michael...I can't relate to this commercial at all! How limiting.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
bride_of_lister said:
Aww that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I think they chose the references well too. The choice of characters made me think of some of the most moving moments I've had in games too. Ezio's family, the end of Bioshock 2, the end of Portal 2 and MGS4. I'm sure there are more associations in there for people who've played the other games too.
It is a good life we lead, brother.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Kapol said:
Though I think they should have left the 'Michael' character faceless to make things a bit more interesting. That might just be me though.

I also thought it was interesting that there were plenty of multiplatform characters in there. Not a bad thing per say, but it almost feels like Sony's trying to 'claim' them. I also wonder if they got permission from each game dev (or if they needed to) to use their character's likeness.
Well they kinda would have to, otherwise they'd be sued. I doubt any of them were really that offended by the free exposure and linking to an awesome ad as this.

As for Micheal, he's a member of the Playstation Nation who won a contest to appear in the ad. He basically won an ad with his favourite characters talking about how awesome he is. Good prize if you ask me.
Well, it may be part of their agreement with Sony that game characters and gameplay can be used in their advertisements for the products they appear on. That's why I mention if they needed to. It's possible Sony already has that in agreement just to be sure.

I didn't know that about Michael. That is a pretty awesome prize. But that doesn't change my opinion that, in terms of the ad itself, it would have been better off without mentioning a player in particular.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Sam17 said:
Kratos didn't speak, this makes me sad
Having him speak without mentioning how he will kill absolutely everyone, everything and Michael would be even more jarring.

Seriously having Kratos give a big thumbs up to someone would be out of character, and him being in character would put a bit of a damper on the proceedings.

All in all brilliant advert, Sony even managed to get non first party Characters from games that aren't exclusive to the PS3, well done them.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Sony Lifts One to Michael in Awesome PS3 Ad

Sony's new PlayStation ad serves up a hilarious ensemble cheer to the true heroes of gaming.

Is it too late to slip in another zing at Sony for the oddball ads it served up in the early days of the PlayStation 3? Probably, but I think it bears a mention anyway, if only to remind everyone of the huge turnaround from the days of the freaky baby doll to the era of Kevin Butler. Whatever advertising mojo Sony found when it came up with the idea of the B-Man (he's not a real vice-president of anything, you know), it's obviously still got it.

Who do you recognize? I see Nathan Drake, Ghost, the guy from Infamous, Joe Mauer, Solid Snake, Kratos and... Sweettooth and Sackboy playing chess? It's like some Bizarro World Romper Room in there.

Nicely done, Sony, and to you too, Michael. Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

"You like the Playstation 3 Michael add.
3 of your friends like this."

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Kapol said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Kapol said:
Though I think they should have left the 'Michael' character faceless to make things a bit more interesting. That might just be me though.

I also thought it was interesting that there were plenty of multiplatform characters in there. Not a bad thing per say, but it almost feels like Sony's trying to 'claim' them. I also wonder if they got permission from each game dev (or if they needed to) to use their character's likeness.
Well they kinda would have to, otherwise they'd be sued. I doubt any of them were really that offended by the free exposure and linking to an awesome ad as this.

As for Micheal, he's a member of the Playstation Nation who won a contest to appear in the ad. He basically won an ad with his favourite characters talking about how awesome he is. Good prize if you ask me.
Well, it may be part of their agreement with Sony that game characters and gameplay can be used in their advertisements for the products they appear on. That's why I mention if they needed to. It's possible Sony already has that in agreement just to be sure.

I didn't know that about Michael. That is a pretty awesome prize. But that doesn't change my opinion that, in terms of the ad itself, it would have been better off without mentioning a player in particular.
If they had left it at Micheal, it wouldn't have been clear that it was the player, and people would be wondering who the heck Micheal is. If you're suggesting they just say "the player", that would be breaking the convention of it and turning this into Reboot (I.e. them talking about "The User"). If you want it for more than one person, thats why they had 846 other photos of gamers plastered all over the walls and the ceiling.

The guy is representative, the everygamer. That doesn't make him faceless. Its like saying a character in a chick flick has to never speak or show her face so the audience can connect better.
I understand where you're coming from, but I still think that pointing out a single player and showing a picture of him (in the most generic 'I'm a gamer!' pose they could get) broke the 'personalized' feel of it to me. Plus, the pictures plastered all over the wall were small enough that it could have very well been of him if you don't stop to look at it. That also implys that every other gamer isn't as 'important' to the characters then the one pointed out.

I could see if they just said Michael, or found a better way to say the player without pointing it out specifically. To be honest, I think that just using 'the player' would have actually worked better then pointing one out specifically. Using a broader term like the player could allow the viewer to fill it in with themself, while pointing out Michael takes away that ability.

As I said, that's my opinion. I understand where you're coming from with it. I just disagree that it was the better way to handle it.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
I spotted Drake, Isaac Clarke, Snake, Agent 47, Chell, Sackboy, Ghost, Ezio, a little sister, well, as many characters as a gamer should be expected to recognise, even though I haven't played half the games shown. There are some characters I'd like to have seen. A Lancer among the weapons at the door, Garrus reminiscing about himself and 'Michael' holding off waves of mercs on Omega, Jack Marston drowning his sorrows at the bar, etc.

Were those Helghast at the back, with the glowing eyes?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
vrbtny said:
The Chimera totally stole the Trailer, even if it didn't have a speaking part.
Agreed... that chimera looked pretty damn good. Almost made me want to see a Resistance movie made.

I liked the add, it made me chuckle.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
Ratchet, Ezio, Agent 47, The whole crew's here! Awesome ad!

Although, can someone please explain to me why the Chimera was in the room? It wasn't a hero.
The Chimera was probably thanking Michael for a GG in multiplayer)

Random berk said:
I spotted Drake, Isaac Clarke, Snake, Agent 47, Chell, Sackboy, Ghost, Ezio, a little sister, well, as many characters as a gamer should be expected to recognise, even though I haven't played half the games shown. There are some characters I'd like to have seen. A Lancer among the weapons at the door, Garrus reminiscing about himself and 'Michael' holding off waves of mercs on Omega, Jack Marston drowning his sorrows at the bar, etc.

Were those Helghast at the back, with the glowing eyes?
Garrus does not have time to waste in bars - he's calibrating.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Even though I already own what must be over half the games nodded to in this advert on my 360, it still makes me want to get a PS3. Although I think at this point I'll stick with it until the next console generation. No point in getting one now when it will be obsolete soon.