Sony Lines Up Impressive PSP2 Third Party Support

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Lines Up Impressive PSP2 Third Party Support

Plenty of developers and publishers have signed on to make games for Sony's new PSP2 (er, "NGP").

When Sony announced the PSP's successor last night, it did so with a collection of games from well-established franchises: Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and even Call of Duty. Unsurprisingly, the hardware giant has been hard at work building a network of developers that it's hoping will allow it to compete with Nintendo's 3DS.

Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/these-third-party-developers-are-backing-sonys-ngp/] has a big, long list of all the publishers who have committed to making something for the NGP. Without further ado, here it is - original liner notes included for some of the more obscure Japanese houses:

[blockquote]Japan
Acquire
Alvion (Malicious)
AQ Interactive
Arc System Works
Arika
Artdink
Ascii Media Works
Atlus / Index Holdings
Capcom
Chunsoft
Craft & Meister (Earth Seeker for Wii)
CyberConnect2
D3 Publisher
Dimps
Edia (Maplus software for PSP)
Enterbrain
Falcom
From Software
Genki
Grasshopper Manufacture
GungHo Online Entertainment (Mimana)
Gust
Hamster
Hudson
Idea Factory
Irem
Kadokawa Games
Kadokawa Shoten
Konami
Level-5
Marvelous
Media Five
Namco Bandai
Nippon Ichi Software
Now Production
Q Entertainment
Sega
SNK Playmore
Spike
Square Enix
SystemSoft Alpha
Takara Tomy
Tecmo Koei Games
Tose
Yukes

North America
Activision
Capybara Games
Demiurge Studios
Epic Games
Far Sight Studios
Frima
High Voltage Software
Kung Fu Factory
Paramount Digital Entertainment
PopCap Games
Powerhead Games
Trendy Entertainment
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
2K Games
2K Sports

Europe
Avalanche Studios
Climax Studios
Codemasters Software Company
Eurocom Developments
Eutechnyx
Exient
Firemint
Gameloft
Gusto Games
Home Entertainment Suppliers
Impromptu Software
Rebellion
Rockstar Games
Sidhe Interactive
Sumo Digital
Team 17 Software
Ubisoft Entertainment
Zen Studios[/blockquote]

Compare it to Nintendo's 3DS lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup], and it's pretty darn impressive. Of course, the PSP had stronger third-party support than the DS, and we all know how that turned out, right? Personally, I'm just glad to see Arc System Works there, because that almost certainly means a new BlazBlue. Rock on.

Just for the record, I think "NGP" is a horrible name, and I hope it remains the code name it obviously is. Why would you toss your iconic PlayStation branding out the window, Sony? Even "PSP" has important brand value - sure, it got stomped by the DS and the PSPgo flopped hard, but it still sold millions of units. Sony would be idiotic to throw it away.

(Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/these-third-party-developers-are-backing-sonys-ngp/])

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
it seems like it will be a good platform. I can't judge anything till release, but it seems to be starting off strong (depending on the price) and I can't wait to take a look. It does seem almost like they are going the ipod route with it with an all around portable media experience. The non-phone apple competitor if you want to think about it that way. And being fully hd with some pretty strong hardware, if the games coming out for it are good from the start, nintendo and their "give support to everyone" plan might need to watch out cause their "family friendly" outlook might be losing some money if this takes off.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
John Funk said:
Of course, the PSP had stronger third-party support than the DS, and we all know how that turned out, right?
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure the DS blew the PSP out of the water in terms of third-party support.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Impressive list, very impressive.

But I'll make my final judgment when I see some more games. So far though it looks very promising.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Yea I saw this earlier, I hope this all bodes well and means some really awesome games to come. And I don't mind if there are a lot of ports or spin off games at launch, that's just giving consumers something familiar to sink into before they go for the more original titles. Every gaming platform since the PS2 has done this, introduce a bunch of familiar franchises at first before being blessed with it's own things.

Can't wait to see what games this is getting. And yes Mr Funk, I too would love to see a new Guilty Gear or Blazblue on the system, if the power of this device is true, then hot damn it would look identical to the console version. And glad they still have that excellent D-pad, can't wait for some kick ass fighters.

Hey Square Enix, announce Dissidia 3 on this thing and I'm already sold.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Timbydude said:
John Funk said:
Of course, the PSP had stronger third-party support than the DS, and we all know how that turned out, right?
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure the DS blew the PSP out of the water in terms of third-party support.
Support in this instance means games that weren't shovelware.

Sony failed with the PSP. It's not a horrible system, but marketing screwed that one away. Sony has no one to blame but themselves.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
*Quick scroll*

Climax Studios. Maybe that mean PSP2 will get a new Silent Hill from them. I wonder if it's an exclusive...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
John Funk said:
Compare it to Nintendo's 3DS lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup], and it's pretty darn impressive.
Except the 3DS has a lineup of actual announced games, while this is just a list of publishers who've sort of committed to making something at some point.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mornelithe said:
JediMB said:
John Funk said:
Compare it to Nintendo's 3DS lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup], and it's pretty darn impressive.
Except the 3DS has a lineup of actual announced games, while this is just a list of publishers who've sort of committed to making something at some point.
And the 3DS launches in a few months, versus nearly a year for the PSP2, what's your point? Were there a ton of officially announced 3DS titles a year ago?
My point is that the lists are not compatible for comparison.

It's like comparing a growing garden to a sack full of seeds, and saying that the seeds are a lot more impressive than the garden.

It's not even taking into account that the garden might have a whole lot of unsown seeds as well.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Atlus, Nippon Ichi, Epic, Level-5, Falcom, From Software, Q Entertainment and the big publishers.

I'm probably going to have to buy this.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mornelithe said:
JediMB said:
My point is that the lists are not compatible for comparison.

It's like comparing a growing garden to a sack full of seeds, and saying that the seeds are a lot more impressive than the garden.

It's not even taking into account that the garden might have a whole lot of unsown seeds as well.
The biggest difference will be the PSP2 will have a large chunk of adult games, whereas Nintendo targets its biggest demographic, which are not adult gamers. Remember, the folks who were gaming in the 80's are now older, have jobs, families, etc... and their interests aren't necessarily with what Nintendo drives to its constituency. This isn't to say that Nintendo is inferior, simply doesn't provide the product that this particular device will bring. I mean, I loved Mario, Zelda, Metroid and friends as a kid, but now I'm older, and well, those titles are few and far between. Whereas, the more adult content that Sony brings is something I'd naturally be more interested.
You're still missing the point.

It's not about who has the most impressive list. It's about incompatible data types.