Sony May Add Backward Compatibility to the PS4

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
If this will let me actually play the PS1/2 games I own physical copies of, then I will be excited. Unless of course it can't play Koudelka. I've tried both my PS3 and PS2 that normally could play most PS1/2 games and it has yet to work.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Squilookle said:
"Report: PS4 to get PARTIAL PS1/2 Backwards Compatibility"

Come on, call it like it is. If they say 'select titles,' don't hype it up as being anything better than, say, the lousy xbox 360 partial backwards compatibility effort.
Actually, the 360 wasn't supposed to be a partial thing, they just stopped updating their effort in November 2007.

As for this, I don't really care. I have older consoles (and TVs) to play older games.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
They say backwards compatibility, but what I'm really hearing is 'select PS1/2 titles soon to be available on the online store.' They did the same thing when they took away the native backwards compatibility in the PS3; I honestly don't expect them to do any different with the ps4. How many times do they expect us to buy FFVII?

Besides, I actually still have my psx and ps2 hooked up to the tv along with emulators on my main not-top-of-the-line gaming pc. I don't usually play the 'pc is awesome' card, but the ability to play 'select' ps2 games with 1080p rendering is not exactly new.

Just so I don't sound entirely negative: I am looking forward to seeing what the Sony VR headset can do, especially now that facebook bought the oculus rift. I remember at the turn of the millennium they tried some glasses for the pc that were actually just two tiny monitors shoved almost straight into your eyeballs; my friend got one and nothing but headaches (literally) followed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If they actually pull through with this one, this should end any pretense of a fair war between PS4 and Xbox One.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Crossing my fingers for Ore no Ryouri to get an English translation and a US PSN release with HD. I would buy the shit out of that.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I'm really sad now, because I know this'll never happen.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Steven Bogos said:
Backwards compatibility is one of those things that console games had kind of accepted isn't going to happen anymore. The PS3 was initially backwards compatible by a single generation, and the Xbox One and PS4 have ditched it completely. Only the Wii U is natively backwards compatible.
The PS3 was also played PS1 games. In fact, they still do, to my knowledge.

Still, if true this is amazing news. But I think I'll hold off celebrating until it's announced for real.
Yup. They do. I still play my PS1 games on my PS3 on a regular basis. Legend of Lagaia won't play itself, you know? Exciting news. Dang it. I was trying so hard to avoid buying a console this generation...it feels odd to me that the ability to play my PS2 games again could possibly be the reason I end up buying a new PS4.

Oct 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Steven Bogos said:
Backwards compatibility is one of those things that console games had kind of accepted isn't going to happen anymore. The PS3 was initially backwards compatible by a single generation, and the Xbox One and PS4 have ditched it completely. Only the Wii U is natively backwards compatible.
The PS3 was also played PS1 games. In fact, they still do, to my knowledge.

Still, if true this is amazing news. But I think I'll hold off celebrating until it's announced for real.

Only the original run 80 gb PS3 will run PS1 games and Ps2 games. When they decided to steal my money by removing the LINUX drive capability as well, I knew SONY had become evil. I have my doubts that this won't be a bullshit popular titles only cash grab.

@ Steven Bogos: NO, we as a generation of gamers have NOT accepted that backwards compatibility is a no-no. We have railed, complained and withed our purchases, and personally have been loud and Vocal at Sony about it. We all know it can be done, and this proves it.

But Sony, if you REALLY wanted everyone to spoog in their pants and buy your machine, I have ONE suggestion for you: FF Vii

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Very, very good looking.

Then again, they games will probably run like shit, so says the unhalted, moping cynyc within me.

I'm still not getting a PS4, though, no matter how many changes that shouldn't have to be done they make.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
Only the original run 80 gb PS3 will run PS1 games and Ps2 games. When they decided to steal my money by removing the LINUX drive capability as well, I knew SONY had become evil. I have my doubts that this won't be a bullshit popular titles only cash grab.
Um...no you are wrong. I have a PS3 slim model, after upgrading from my old 80 GB PS3, and it still plays PS1 games just fine, just doesn't play PS2 games (neither did my old 80GB one either). The original launch model PS3's had actual PS2's built into them, which helped drive up costs. Then some of the models after removed that and went with software emulation, but it was buggy as hell (basically like how the 360's backwards compatibility was), and then they removed the PS2 functions. All PS3s can play PS1 games, even the new Super Slim model can play PS1 games. It's PS2 games they can't play. PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility is entirely possible and easy to do, that is a fact. PS3 backwards compatibility, short of putting an actual PS3 in the PS4, is not because Cell architecture is preventing it. There is currently no existing emulator that exists for PS3 games because of the fact that the Cell architecture is so ass-backwards and too costly to emulate.

Also, why would FF VII cause people to buy PS4s? Sony doesn't own FF, Square Enix does, and they're not making an HD remake of that one probably for a long time, I'd assume when they'd be on their last legs.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Aw, Sony is actually trying to make their developers and consumers happy. This feels rather nice.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If this is true, AND has access to all the titles, then I'm a huge step closer to getting a PS4.

That's a big if at the moment however, considering the lack of some PS1/PS2 titles on PS3, particularly in the EU.

Consider me cautiously optimistic

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Heck that almost makes me want to buy a PS4, at least it makes me consider it. There's a bunch of old PS2 games I never ended up playing but wanted to.

Of course if they have compatibility for PS3 games, or at least port the best ones over, as well as having stable PS2 compatibility... then yeah I might get a PS4.

I never thought I'd say that. PC gamer and all(I've stuck to it as the best platform, but also because I could only afford one platform, having PC and console was never really an option). I've hated seeing games I'd like to play as exclusives on consoles I won't have.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The White Hunter said:
Nah my PS2 still works fine, no oneed for me to spend £400 to upscale them.
That's what I'm thinking. Why buy a new machine with a monthly fee to play games from 10 years ago. They really should've figured out how to do it with the ps3. At this point, they've already lost the consumers who really care about BC. It didn't deter me from buying a ps3 but I know a few people who got turned off to ps because of that.
At this point (besides lack of compelling games) the main deterrent to the ps4 for me is the monthly fee. I'd be a fan of the ps4 if they just locked their special ps4 online gimmicks behind the paywall rather than all multiplayer content, which can now amount to most of the game.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
There is something that should be clarified a bit. That 'select titles' thing. Does it refer to the resolution or whether it will be on the console or not ?

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
That would really be the smartest thing Sony could do right now. Talk about a one two punch to xbox. That would be the most amazing library of video games on one console ever.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
The White Hunter said:
Nah my PS2 still works fine, no oneed for me to spend £400 to upscale them.
That's what I'm thinking. Why buy a new machine with a monthly fee to play games from 10 years ago. They really should've figured out how to do it with the ps3. At this point, they've already lost the consumers who really care about BC. It didn't deter me from buying a ps3 but I know a few people who got turned off to ps because of that.
At this point (besides lack of compelling games) the main deterrent to the ps4 for me is the monthly fee. I'd be a fan of the ps4 if they just locked their special ps4 online gimmicks behind the paywall rather than all multiplayer content, which can now amount to most of the game.
The problem is that the PS3 is not nearly powerful enough to provide satisfactory emulation of PS2 games. Maybe PS1 games, but certainly not PS2. The PS4, being about as powerful as a modern midgrade pc, should be powerful enough for software emulation of the PS2 with only minor problems.

Now, before you say that PS2 emulation has existed on PC's for a long time, note that I said "satisfactory" emulation. PS2 emulation is getting much better, but it is still buggy as all hell.

Accurate emulation takes massive amounts of computing power. To give you an idea, a perfectly accurate pong emulator exists but even a high end gaming pc could not hope to run it at better than a fraction of it's original speed. There might be a super computer out there somewhere that could pull off running the pong emulator at full speed, but I am not sure. Making one piece of hardware act like a completely different piece of hardware, even a massively inferior piece of hardware, is incredibly difficult. In a practical sense, it is impossible to achieve perfect accuracy. The best we can hope for is to get very close, and we need a machine many times more powerful than the original to do that. This is why NES and Super Nintendo emulators are not perfect - they are usually built around the 50 or so most popular titles and often have major errors in the less often used titles. Many titles will be completely unplayable on a given emulator.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
I don't seem to be hearing anything about being BC with PS3 titles, or is that a given?
PS3 can't be emulated at this time due to it being too expensive because of Sony's stupidity in using the Cell architecture on the PS3. Because of it, it is why Sony is making PS Now, because the only way they could really emulate PS3 on the PS4 would be to put a PS3 inside the PS4. Didn't work too well last time they tried something similar to that either. The reason PS2 and PS1 are in this is because pretty much full emulation of those systems have been made (PSX and PSX2) but nothing exists for the PS3 as of now (give it 3 or 4 years I say).