Sony May Add Backward Compatibility to the PS4

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Strazdas said:
SeventhSigil said:
Fair enoughs. x3 In any case, yeah, definitely by a grey area if they do take someone else's emulator and modify it, given not only is an emulator technically illegal, but its very creation would require 'stealing' the details on how a PS2 operates, if only to make an adequate recreation. Whatever the case, so long as they don't just cram a messy emulator port in there full of bugs, I'm happy. n.n

FalloutJack said:
Well, Sony, I DID mention that backwards-compatibility was important. Maybe you should've listened in the first place. In retrospect, this would have probably doubled the amount of consoles you've sold by now, so let's see you pull this off and recup the loss, hmm?
Really gotta go with Strazdas on this one. o_O Releasing backwards compatibility wouldn't have had THAT great an impact on their sales, because they're pretty much selling like hotcakes as it is. Actually, announcing or even releasing backwards compatibility this summer (maybe making the announcement during E3,) would actually be the best way they could have handled it. Wait until the initial rush of demand has ebbed (which it apparently hasn't yet, not completely,) and then, BOOM!

Not only would you have announced something that leads to even MORE frantic demand, but you also ensure that you have adequate supplies to serve these newcomers, rather than having the newbies fight with the people already trying to get a PS4 for different reasons.

OT: As someone who doesn't own any PS2 or original Playstation games anymore, I really hope that they take a dual approach to backwards compatibility; not only allow the play of pre-existing disc-based titles, for my brethren who still own them, but also have an entire section of the Store just stocked to the brim with digital Playstation and PS2 titles. :3 A one-size-fits-all, or even fits-most emulator opens the door for far more games on the digital store than the PS3 has currently had.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Oh yeah, it's almost like that whole "hardware difficulties" issue was a load of bullshit in the first place.

You know, like many others have said when they first announced PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. But hey, some people have to justify their choice of spending $10 again on a game they bought for their PS3.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Oh yeah, it's almost like that whole "hardware difficulties" issue was a load of bullshit in the first place.

You know, like many others have said when they first announced PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. But hey, some people have to justify their choice of spending $10 again on a game they bought for their PS3.
Except you know, it is for PS3 games, but not for PS2 or PS1 games. The reason is that there is no emulator that currently exists that can do PS3 games, thanks to Sony's stupidity with the Cell architecture. PS2 and PS1 have fully working emulators that already exist and have been worked on for years. Don't expect PS3 emulators to exist probably for another 3 to 4 years.

It's why Sony is trying to use PS Now for that, and whether that works or not is yet to be seen really so I'm not holding my breath on it. But literally in this case for the Xbox One and the PS4 the only real way to make them backwards compatible with the previous gen would be nothing short than putting and actual PS3 and 360 into the new systems, which Sony tried before and we all know how well that worked.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Dragonbums said:

It wasnt. And they still are not giving PS3 emulation. they never will on PS4 anyway. PS4 has a weaker processor to begin with, even if it could emulate it. And the cell structure make that pretty much impossible. Nothing Sony said was wrong really. They said they cannot do PS3 compatibility, and they cant, due how how different PS3 was. Giving a PS1/2 emulator, something that was used on PCs (same architecture as PS4) for a long time now, is a whole different case entirely.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
It'S nice to see them try as I do like a lot of my old PS2 library and not being able to touch those games on PS3 has really left me unable to go back ad finish up all those games I never got around to, but I still have my PS2 and what really happened in this instance was that I got used to the wireless controller and hooking up the PS2 not only meant that I had to sort of keep it in a separate place, but also that I had to sit closer as I was tethered to the system, manage my memory card data despite minimal use which became quite a chore. The fact became that the PS2 just began to feel clunky next to its younger siblings in a big way. I did't have this problem with my PS3 when I got my PS4 because I could still pick up the wireless controller and boot the system with very little effort and play both consoles in the same way.

I would definitely love an all in one system, but even if I had access to all my PS2 games on my PS4 I still might not have time to go back and play them. Really it just appeals to the consumer in me who wants to get the most out of even my old purchases. And I still think we have every right to be frustrated because the game industry tends to push the boundaries of whats acceptable and then if it sticks they pretend this is how people wanted it. Any exec who tells you that you don't need backwards compatibility and you are an idiot for wanting it (Cliffy B talks like this a lot on these kind of issues), is frankly giving you a corporate answer based on what they want to believe and what they want investors and shareholders to believe. If people didn't through such a fit over DRM in the past, DRM these days would be a lot worse, and the less we fought it, the harder it would become to fight.

So I am glad Sony is at least making the effort to make concessions cause really, backwards compatibility didn't become a big issue until really about two generations ago. We are currently in the 8th console generation now so this debate is old but also new.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wait a second...

Is he talking about:

1) New PS4s having backwards compatibility.

2) PS1/2 titles showing up in PSN for the PS4?

Because if it's the former, then this is really spitting in the face of the early PS4 adopters.

I mean, this is awesome and I'd love to play old PS1 Spyro games on the PS4, but this seems a bit late to implement. Still, better late than never.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
That has to be the smartest move Sony's made since choosing NOT to shove DRM down our throats.

It's official, the PS4 is the next-gen console I want most.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ThunderCavalier said:
Wait a second...

Is he talking about:

1) New PS4s having backwards compatibility.

2) PS1/2 titles showing up in PSN for the PS4?

Because if it's the former, then this is really spitting in the face of the early PS4 adopters.

I mean, this is awesome and I'd love to play old PS1 Spyro games on the PS4, but this seems a bit late to implement. Still, better late than never.
It would be added in via an update, it wouldn't be built into new PS4's. Basically think PSX2, only made by Sony, if the first one turns out to be the true cause. It raises the price of the system to include an actual version of that system in the new consoles, and it's why PS3's were so expensive to produce ($900 to make the 20 GB models, $1100 to make the 60 GB models).

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
On another note, if both this and the rumor on The Last of Us 2 turn out to be false, and Sony DOESN'T see the widespread positive reception and think 'Huh! Maybe we should do this!' I'm going to facepalm so hard my ears will be launched into orbit. I think someone mentioned, either in this thread or on another site, the possibility that leaks such as these were also intended to try and gauge interest; the Internet community has turned into a useful source of wider consumer interest, (with the possible exception that I generally see CoD sneered upon, and yet it still sells millions of copies.) So even if backwards compatibility, or The Last Of Us port aren't already well underway, it's possible that the positive response will finally convince them to pursue it.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I've got a better idea: Make a service which is essentially Steam for past Sony consoles. Sign up and get access to every version of every game for every Sony console, complete with documentation and box art. Pick one out, download the ISO/ROM/whatever and load it up in an official Sony-made emulator.

Sony could have two possible approaches to making money out of this: either make you pay on a per-game basis (maybe inconvenient if you want to play a lot of different games), or pay a monthly fee and get access to the entire library as long as you keep paying.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
That's pretty darn good news. I've been wanting to finally play a few ps2 games that I missed on the generation change.

Local backwards compatibility sounds a lot like disks will work. That'd be wonderful.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The reason why emulation is necessary instead of original code is that the original code is looking for actual hardware to utilize. Proprietary hardware. That requires a chip and increases the cost of product unnecessarily. Ps4's could be backwards compatible with ps3 if you slapped a chip in there but that's money out of everyone's pocket. So emulation it is.

Dragonbums said:

The PS3 is absolutely not emulate-able on the ps4. We'll be lucky if it's compatible on the ps5. The hardware was SOOOO proprietary that developers had to split up assets into various categories and specifically allocate resources. Emulating x86 architecture on x86 hardware is simple. PS2 emulation on the PS3 required a chip but the power disparity was large enough to make it happen. But the ps3 is so different that good emulation of it may never really happen without hardware. We'll see, but it's not the same.

The whole debacle of backwards compatibility wasn't regarding ps1 or ps2 games. That was purely ps3. So Sony is going the streaming route to resolve that issue as best they can in the short term.

That we've finally moved to an x86 setup is fantastic. It means that "backwards compatibility" can never be called into question again. I mean, maybe some games won't be compatible with drivers or something but that's something that should be easily fixable.

Interestingly enough, we'll finally have real data on how often people play previous generation games.