Sony: Microsoft or Nintendo Will Go Next-Gen Before Us

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
That's a really stupid thing to say. The current console generation is already very far behind the PC in terms of power, and waiting any more won't make it better. Whoever brings out the next console will rule the market for quite a time, and I'd rather it be Sony due to Blu-Ray players (which I just can't see MS using).
Also, does anybody else get some eerie flashbacks to the Genesis from all the add-ons a'la Natal and Move and 3D?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
GloatingSwine said:
Translation: We can't afford a new Playstation console right now.
Sony just doesn't make PS3s. They also make pretty much any electronic you can think of (TVs, laptops, video cameras, digital camers, etc.) If they really wanted they could use the money from other ventures to make a console. Only the PS3 lost them money up until two months ago, everything else they makes turns a big profit.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
Should change the "PS3 has the longevity to outlast both its rivals, says Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida." comment to "But we just barely started making a profit of these fucking things!". It'd be more accurate.

Though, as a PS3 and 360 owner, I do enjoy my PS3's potential and reliability far more than my 360's. Now if it was just backwards compatable...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
When will people learn:
Whoever comes out first wins.
This rule does not apply for Sega.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
thethingthatlurks said:
That's a really stupid thing to say. The current console generation is already very far behind the PC in terms of power, and waiting any more won't make it better.
Bringing up the PC in discussions of graphical power really isn't the clever argument it used to be, because despite the ever increasing computing and graphics power available, there still aren't any games out that look better than Crysis, and most new PC games don't even try to match it. And Crysis is two years old.

And the PC's most games also tend to be those with the lowest power requirements like World of Warcraft and The Sims (and Starcraft 2 is deliberately pitching low).

The PC might be monumentally more powerful than consoles, but there's no market for exploiting that power, there's no market even for fully exploiting the power that the PC had two years ago.

soapyshooter said:
Sony just doesn't make PS3s. They also make pretty much any electronic you can think of (TVs, laptops, video cameras, digital camers, etc.) If they really wanted they could use the money from other ventures to make a console. Only the PS3 lost them money up until two months ago, everything else they makes turns a big profit.
Not quite. I'll be able to get the financials later (am at work, and copy of Adobe Reader is too old here), but Sony's profits have been pretty modest, especially because the current economic climate makes expensive consumer electronics (and Sony's consumer electronics are generally more expensive than other brands for dubious benefit) an unattractive buying proposition.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
s69-5 said:
GloatingSwine said:
Translation: We can't afford a new Playstation console right now.
Translation: Status Quo. They did originally give the PS3 a 10 year lifespan. The 360 and Wii are already showing their age... the PS3 is just hitting its stride.
Except it really isn't. The PS3 is still getting demonstrably inferior versions of even big name multiplatform releases like Red Dead Redemption. It's supposed killer app technical titles like Killzone and even God of War 3 come and go with little fanfare over their technical accomplishment, and the best technical offering in the future release schedule is that Gran Turismo 5 might come out one day.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Try $30. And remember that when they dropped backwards compatibility they didn't reduce the consumer price, they made the change to reduce manufacturing costs, which were astronomical at the time (estimates were they were losing $250 per unit). Now they could probably reintegrate hardware backwards compatibility and remain profitable on the hardware because the blue laser diodes that are required by the blu-ray drive are significantly cheaper.
Are you sure? Because around the time they dropped backwards compatibility the price of the PS3 went down at least $50, though I swear it was $100. Before the regular "phat" Ps3 was $599 then out went BC and it went to $499 at least.

Andronicus said:
Anyways, yeah I guess it makes sense if they want to lower the price. Still, I don't see any reason why software updates shouldn't be able to allow for the playing of even a couple of select titles, especially now the PS2 is beginning to lose steam. They can't possibly hope to release all of the PS2's catalogue by way of collections.
No, I guess not, but when you get right down to it a lot of games sucked on the PS2 anyway.

Regardless, Sony better fucking release a "Team ICO" collection, or my fanboyish days with them are over (well, probably not :p)

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
The PS3 Fanboyism is strong with this thread. I still say this is all bs from all three companies. As soon as one of them release the info that they are making the next gen piece of hardware the others will follow suit, exactly how it's been since the start of consoles. None of these companies want to risk the other laucnhing more then a year ahead and getting and insurmountable install base before thiers even comes out. Sony already made that mistake with the PS3 and now they can't even grab second place in this generation. They won't do that again, no matter what they try to say.

With that said I do think consoles are far off for all three companies. I can easily see 3-4 more years of the current gen hardware.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
That's a really stupid thing to say. The current console generation is already very far behind the PC in terms of power, and waiting any more won't make it better.
Nobody's really exploiting that power, though.

Consoles are king now. Any game that isn't an RTS or an MMO (Two genres not associated with cutting-edge graphics) comes out on consoles. When it comes to shooters and action games, the PC is nigh-irrelevant. The days of HL2 and DOOM3's graphics race are gone.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jumplion said:
GloatingSwine said:
Try $30. And remember that when they dropped backwards compatibility they didn't reduce the consumer price, they made the change to reduce manufacturing costs, which were astronomical at the time (estimates were they were losing $250 per unit). Now they could probably reintegrate hardware backwards compatibility and remain profitable on the hardware because the blue laser diodes that are required by the blu-ray drive are significantly cheaper.
Are you sure? Because around the time they dropped backwards compatibility the price of the PS3 went down at least $50, though I swear it was $100. Before the regular "phat" Ps3 was $599 then out went BC and it went to $499 at least.
Yes. What they did was drop the price of the 60GB unit by $50 to clear stock on them but introduced the 80GB unit (HDD cost per gigabyte was a pittance even then, so 20GB more would not cost them much) at the old price of the 60GB unit, making people think the price had dropped but actually keeping it the same.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Jumplion said:
GloatingSwine said:
Yes. What they did was drop the price of the 60GB unit by $50 to clear stock on them but introduced the 80GB unit (HDD cost per gigabyte was a pittance even then, so 20GB more would not cost them much) at the old price of the 60GB unit, making people think the price had dropped but actually keeping it the same.
Still dropped on the main model, the new 360 Slim or whateverthehell you call it didn't change price yet the older model(s) did. That's a price drop in my book.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Nobody's really exploiting that power, though.

Consoles are king now. Any game that isn't an RTS or an MMO (Two genres not associated with cutting-edge graphics) comes out on consoles. When it comes to shooters and action games, the PC is nigh-irrelevant. The days of HL2 and DOOM3's graphics race are gone.
Perhaps, but the fact still remains that all consoles are pitiful in comparison to even two year old PCs. You have the technology, but no applications (on any platform), which is incredibly disappointing.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
s69-5 said:
cough *Last Guardian* cough
Which is one title which isn't out for ages and, given the performance of it's predecessors, will sell ten copies.

I've not played Red Dead as I could care less for Rockstar. However, please remember that many of the so-called inferior versions are poorly made ports that were not even made by the original team/ company (Bayonetta and Portal comes to mind) - this is not a problem with the PS3 but with devs. And wasn't Red Dead a buggy mess everywhere? At least, that's what the forums have been telling me.
It's a buggy mess everywhere, but thanks to the lower resolution and poor quality antialiasing on the PS3 it's also an ugly blurry buggy mess.

When done properly, the PS3 version is either at par or superior than the other console version(s) (PC excluded). FFXIII for example was better (if only slightly) on PS3.
And that was mostly because of the blu-ray storage for the near 40GB of HD cutscenes. Nevertheless, one shitty port to the 360 versus a truckful of shitty ports to the PS3 does not help make your case.

Or in the case of games like Batman: AA the PS3 version was superior not only technically, but through the extra content as well. You would not have seen that two years ago. Lends to my argument of stride hitting, does it not?
And there are still more games with platform exclusive DLC on the Xbox, like, again Red Dead Redemption. And the technical differences between the two platforms were miniscule.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
s69-5 said:
cough *Last Guardian* cough

I've not played Red Dead as I could care less for Rockstar. However, please remember that many of the so-called inferior versions are poorly made ports that were not even made by the original team/ company (Bayonetta and Portal comes to mind) - this is not a problem with the PS3 but with devs. And wasn't Red Dead a buggy mess everywhere? At least, that's what the forums have been telling me.

When done properly, the PS3 version is either at par or superior than the other console version(s) (PC excluded). FFXIII for example was better (if only slightly) on PS3.

Or in the case of games like Batman: AA the PS3 version was superior not only technically, but through the extra content as well. You would not have seen that two years ago. Lends to my argument of stride hitting, does it not?

And I didn't even mention the excellent list of exclusives which have cropped up since mid-2009...
Not really part of this conversation but figured I'd just throw my .02 in.

Exclusive content/games have nothing to do with the hardware of any of the 3 consoles and onyl to do with Sony/M$/Nintendo throwing cash at devs to keep things games/dlc/whatever exclusive to their console. You say Batman AA, I say GTA IV. All the consoles do it and no one console has the definitive "exclusive" deal.

The PS3 does indeed get poorly made ports and it's precisely because they went with their cell processor. It takes a hell of a lot of work to recode a game from it's PC/360/Wii version to a PS3, which is why either A) Developers don't bother, B) They bite the extra cost and actually through enough work at it to make it function on the PS3, or C) They make a subpar port and hope the success of the game on the other version will get PS3 owners to buy it anyways.

MOST Multiplatform games are identical or near identical across all verison (except Wii in which case they're usually always subpar) and the only time the PS3 really shines in terms of its hardware power are the handful of first party exclusives like Uncharted 2. Then again you could say the same thing about the PC/360 so it's all meh anyways.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
Perhaps, but the fact still remains that all consoles are pitiful in comparison to even two year old PCs. You have the technology, but no applications (on any platform), which is incredibly disappointing.
So... what's your point?

The PC's power isn't a threat to either the PS3 or the 360. Why create a new console just to keep up with what PC graphics would be if everyone wasn't already designing their games to run on your current one first and porting them later?

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
I hate to point this out to Sony but having longevity isn't always a good thing, i mean people are talking about how the move and kinect are going to thrash the wii but even if wii sales plummet nintendo still had a good couple of years monopolising the market. Saying your going to save consumers money is all well and good but what if nintendo make the jump to "the next big thing" while sony and microsoft are messing round with motion sensitive controls.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Seeing that the hardware is stronger in the PS3 I wouldn't be suprised, however; I beileve that the next Xbox will be stronger then the PS3, other would be stupid so I think that Sony won't be far behind.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I really wish Sony would quit saying stupid things. It makes me look at my PS3 and want to cry.

But in all seriousness. I'll be glad when the new consoles come out. Better graphics, faster processors and of course, better disk drives.

I think the PS3 needs work too though, since devs don't want to have to learn the complicated scripting for the PS3. Oh and fix the yellow light of death, it wasnt covered in my warranty and I had to buy a new PS3... I was pissed.

I say, bring it on new consoles, I want improvements!