Sony Needs "A Few More Days" For PSN Restoration

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Needs "A Few More Days" For PSN Restoration

This could be the week that the much yearned for PlayStation Network returns to service.

The PlayStation Network, Sony's service that its customers use to play online and to purchase various types of gaming, musical, and theatrical content, has been down for three weeks. Maybe you've heard, but someone or a bunch of someones apparently into [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] Sony's servers, forcing the shutdown so that Sony could strengthen its network infrastructure. According to the latest update, the service might return in "a few days."

Sony believed it'd have the PSN up and running no end in sight [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109692-PSN-Phasing-Back-Into-Existence-With-Enhanced-Security].

This week, Sony's trying again. The latest update from the company is short, but I wouldn't say it's sweet. It's short and somewhat tart. Sony's Patrick Seybold writes: "I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can't give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We're terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process."

The big caveat with the statement is the "at least" written before "a few more days." That means we probably won't see the PSN back up until the weekend at the earliest. When all is said and done it looks like the PSN will at least be back soon, if Sony can keep thwarting further attacks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109871-Third-Sony-Attack-Thwarted-Sony-May-Offer-Cash-Rewards-for-Info].

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Is it odd that all I really miss on PSN right now is the store?

Seriously. I need to redownload all my other PSP games. I'm stuck with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite here. And I hate Monster Hunter.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:

Seriously. I need to redownload all my other PSP games. I'm stuck with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite here. And I hate Monster Hunter.
Me too. I want Arcana Heart 3 already!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
HankMan said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Not really (considering this IS PSN)
Why you need to re-download Onyx? I would have thought you'd at least kept Oblivion.
I download PSP games to the PS3, and then copy them to the PSP. PS3 downloads faster than the PSP, so it works rather well. I have a small memory stick on PSP, so I can't hold much. And I usually delete the PSP games from the PS3 hard drive after transfer. Unfortunately, I'd cleared my PSP before the shutdown, hoping to redownload a few PSP games the next day. And now...I'm left with Monster Hunter. >_>

And my UMDs. Which aren't many.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was hoping that I could move some of the PS1 games that I bought a while ago that's on my PS3 onto my PSP but I can't. And as much as I appreciate playing through my backlog I would like to play some of the DLC that my PS3 has been holding hostage for almost a month now.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
It would seem to me that this update was Sony's way of saying "Get off our balls, we're trying". You'd think they would add something that is universally accepted like a progress bar so they wouldn't have to come out with this stuff. I mean, it's Sony, I've come to understand a progress bar after so many firmware updates.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
So, what your saying, is "Hopefully we might get the PSN up and running sometime before we die of old age..."[/paraphrase]

OH THANK DUMBLEDORE [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albus_Dumbledore], and here I was worried if I really cared enough... well, whatever, I'll be playing Minecraft in the mean time. You know, that game I was also playing while waiting to see if any good games were coming out for the PSP. [/Cynical]

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
The shut down didn't start bugging me until about ... today when my friend and I wanted to coop Dead Rising 2.
I have a couple friends that are pissed cuz they can't Co-op Portal 2.
I've kinda wanted to shoot some people in MW2.
...Ok, yeah, I'm willing to wait, but I am starting to feel like the waits getting a bit long.
I understand them wanting to make sure it's SAFE, but there's such a thing as paranoia...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Need...trophy...level (twitch)

Also, got a new PS3 and I am currently unable to transfer my account to it, which is driving me nuts.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
DrunkWithPower said:
It would seem to me that this update was Sony's way of saying "Get off our balls, we're trying". You'd think they would add something that is universally accepted like a progress bar so they wouldn't have to come out with this stuff. I mean, it's Sony, I've come to understand a progress bar after so many firmware updates.
If it's them with the progress bar, PSN will NEVER be up again, if history is any precedent

OT: Good, my friend wants to play over PSN again, and I am tired of gloating about my Xbox.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Well, for the past few days, I've been bored a fair bit... But then today I got Minecraft... so I can wait a good, long while.

Take your time sony, get it right.

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
Hasn't really bugged me -- being down. I play mostly single player games. I just want to upload my trophies. I do like checking out the store though, so its kind of sad not being able to. I'll be like a kid in a candy store when it turns back on though!

Also, I hate having to keep trying and trying to log into Netflix before it actually lets me in ^_~

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
StoryMode said:
Hasn't really bugged me -- being down. I play mostly single player games. I just want to upload my trophies. I do like checking out the store though, so its kind of sad not being able to. I'll be like a kid in a candy store when it turns back on though!

Also, I hate having to keep trying and trying to log into Netflix before it actually lets me in ^_~
yeah i miss the store as well but mostly its my bad luck with steam and psn for portal 2. i forgot my password for steam so i couldn't attach psn to steam then it died

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Sony reminds me of Wheatley from Portal 2. Hilariously trying and failing to fix the mess they caused because they failed to properly maintain the security of their system, occasionally reassuring us it has been fixed, only to have something catch on fire and blow up behind them.