Sony Needs to Launch PSP2 Soon, Says Former CEO

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Honestly? I can't see how they're going to recover from the pounding the DS gave them in the World Outside Japan (and even then, Monster Hunter was probably the main reason they did decently in Japan). Sony needs to go big, go cheap or go home.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I find this statement hilarious, beacuse it covers the thoughts I had upon 3DS's announcement perfectly. That said, Sony isn't really in a position to develop a new handheld, having barely starte to recuperating the costs of developing the PSP.

Honestly, at this point, it might very well be too late for Sony. By the time they get around releasing a successor, the 3DS will be that much cheaper and have so many more games that they won't be able to compete. Considering this, we could very well be seeing Sony's forced exit from the handheld competition.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I?m not all that convinced sony wants to stay in the handheld market. They revamp the same thing every year but if it?s not going to be profitable (because the market is dominated by a phone and a console with an already strong presence) why would they bother.
If they do want to stay in the handheld market then they really do need to come up with something new, and fast.
And yes, it needs two sticks, maybe that way they can make a decent katamari game for it.

So far it feels like they?ve been swishing their toes around in the pool but have hesitated too long to dive in now and expect to make a big splash.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Irridium said:
The fact that Sony has managed to hang in this long is surprising.
My sentiments exactly.
The 3DS looks to be the death knell for the PSP at this rate though.
4 years ago, Sony thought they were hot shit, but it's interesting to see how things have changed.

Seeing as how handhelds are essentially the last bastion of hope for most of my future gaming, I will be paying extra close attention to this.

Cheefa_Da_Reefa

Jun 18, 2010
Xzi said:
I'm with Iwata on this one. Nintendo has already beaten Sony in the handheld game. The DS sold WAY more units than the PSP, and its graphics were WAY inferior. Now that Nintendo has a handheld being released with the best possible graphics on a portable, a touch-screen, AND 3D? It's game over. The best Sony will be able to do is match the graphics with the PSP2, but its game library will still fall short, just as the PSP's did this generation.

Starfox 64 and Zelda OoT 3D remakes alone are enough to blow anything out of the water that the PSP2 could launch with.
sadly nintendo can re-release legend of zelda oot 20 times and people will still buy it....BE ORIGINAL ALREADY NINTENDO!(sry i just hate nintendo nowdays)

anyways the original psp was pretty fun did alot of fun things that the ds couldn't do still the ds always won -_-

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Xzi said:
I'm with Iwata on this one. Nintendo has already beaten Sony in the handheld game. The DS sold WAY more units than the PSP, and its graphics were WAY inferior. Now that Nintendo has a handheld being released with the best possible graphics on a portable, a touch-screen, AND 3D? It's game over. The best Sony will be able to do is match the graphics with the PSP2, but its game library will still fall short, just as the PSP's did this generation.

Starfox 64 and Zelda OoT 3D remakes alone are enough to blow anything out of the water that the PSP2 could launch with.
Plus the other 70 games that are going to be there at launch, even if they managed to squeeze it out before the 3DS, it can't possibly match that game libary (and by the sounds of it, Nintendo has been giving these developers huge freedom to develope before the full announce of the 3DS). Most games would just choose to wait.

If they release after? Oh god... the PSP2 would get destroyed.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
It is entirely possible that Sony already has the PSP2 pretty much figured out and was planning to announce it during the Tokyo Game Show (and possibly they deliberately waited for Nintendo to announce the 3DS first so they could make any modifications necessary to combat it before announcing the PSP2), so I wouldn't necessarily count them out yet. And while the DS is doing better than the PSP, things can change a lot from one generation to the next; the rankings this console generation have pretty much reversed from last generation. But if they don't announce something soon, and if it doesn't look really good from the get-go like the 3DS is, they could be in some real trouble.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Handheld is a pretty big deal for Sony... yeah the DS is a runaway success but at home - Japan - second place is pretty good, the PSP sells units on par with Wii every week.

Bare minimum, PSP2 needs to get dual analogs and dual triggers... two triggers on each side would be necessary since you're not going to have a thumb free to hit face buttons all the time. Tilt and/or touch would be fair game as well, especially since having one of those would mean an excuse not to have a 3D screen. Throw in 3G data access like a cellphone and they're good to go.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
if the Psp2 doesn't use UMDs and forces you to pay online like the pspgo I won't ever buy it. I already plan on getting a 3DS at some point. Mainly for the OoT remake.

Quaade

Jun 20, 2010
Lord_Seth said:
It is entirely possible that Sony already has the PSP2 pretty much figured out and was planning to announce it during the Tokyo Game Show (and possibly they deliberately waited for Nintendo to announce the 3DS first so they could make any modifications necessary to combat it before announcing the PSP2), so I wouldn't necessarily count them out yet. And while the DS is doing better than the PSP, things can change a lot from one generation to the next; the rankings this console generation have pretty much reversed from last generation. But if they don't announce something soon, and if it doesn't look really good from the get-go like the 3DS is, they could be in some real trouble.
That's not how development cycles work, if a hypothetical PSP2 is "almost complete" you can't just reopen it and slap extra stuff into it with a hot gluegun.

In any event, for now the boat has allready sailed, Nintendo has created a new market from the downmarket gamers. Customers which had their first experience with Nintendo and will stick with their format because they are A: familiar with it, B: they know which entertainment values they stand for.

No matter what kind of advertisement or hypemachine Sony goes with they will be up against massive customer recognition on an incredible strong brand.
Even regular nongaming people have heard about Nintendo's products, even the most oblivious person knows what a Wii is, even if it's only in the most basic of premises.
Which console or handheld constantly makes the media with images of happy people having fun together?
Which of the big three have had their product on Oprah?

Outside the hardcore gaming circle you will be hard pressed to find someone who knows what a PSP or PSPGo is and Sony is someone who makes their television, perhaps there will be something about a gaming machine, but that's all.

The short end is that Nintendo are aiming the 3DS towards that brand recognition, allready by saying DS it invokes an image, the "3" at the front will pique curiosity as it's something new. Curiosity begets interest, interest begets purchase, purchase begets spreading and as the product spreads, more people will be interested in the basic Nintendo brand.

And thus the wheel spins, gaining momentum and leaving Sony in the dust, defeated from below by the very market segment they so far have scorned.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
Doesn't "Former CEO" imply that he has less of an idea what's good for Sony than a moderate Sony fanboy?

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
They also need to give the PSP2 a second analogue stick and a primary analogue stick that DOESN'T annoy me. Seriously I've played the PS3 for mere minutes and it's analogue stick actually made me miss the d-pad.