Sony, Nintendo Execs Don't Fear the iPhone

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony, Nintendo Execs Don't Fear the iPhone

Even as the library of games grows for the iPhone, the top two portable producers have claimed that Apple's handheld isn't competitive in the gaming marketplace.

With the release of Apple's iTunes Application Store, game publishers now have an organized platform to pawn their iPhone games to an increasing userbase.

Hype over the iPhone's success may have financial analysts pondering [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84327] whether it could become a competitor to Nintendo's DS, but Nintendo of America's President Reggie Fils-Aime says that he is "aware of what the iPhone is doing."

"Just like in the home console space we're focused on doing what it is we do well," explained Fils-Amie. "Installed based by next march of 100 million [DS] units - and that's a worldwide number. In the U.S. we're at 20 million. And so we've got a large installed base that we're looking to drive even further and to sell software into. That's our focus. We'll see what happens with the iPhone but it is not something that will make us change our direction."

Although the simple software so far released on the iPhone is more reminiscent of DS games, Sony's Playstation Portable plays video and music, an arena where the iPhone dominates. However, with an emphasis on the phone feature in the iPhone, Sony sees it as only an "indirect competitor."

John Koller, Sony's PSP manager, says, "In terms of the iPhone, it's rooted in telephony, right? It's in the name. The person is purchasing it primarily as a phone first and foremost, whereas a person buying a PSP is buying it first and foremost for games - over 70% buy it [PSP] just for games. So it's a little bit of a different consumer base."

Koller continued, "Not saying we're not looking at it intently because we are. The amount of VC [Venture Capital] money that's pouring in, you've gotta actually look at it.... Most analysts that we talk to say that the competition for iPhone is actually against DS and that type of gameplay. PSP is much more of a rich experience in terms of console gaming on the go. Not that we're not looking at it, but I think there's some other ways to kind of parse that discussion."

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/24/iphone-does-not-scare-nintendo-and-sony-gaming-execs-they-say/#more-5715]

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Logan Frederick said:
John Koller, Sony's PSP manager, says, "In terms of the iPhone, it's rooted in telephony, right? It's in the name.
Does that mean that people buy the Playstation Portable expecting the no.53 to Clackton to arrive at 9.23?
...Huh?
Yeah, wtf?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Side-stepping the joke, I'd like to point out the my friend's phone is awesome and it's got some awesome games.

It probably doesn't count though, what with the cracking and all.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I don't see why people are getting worked up with iPhone games and the like.

It's a phone, it's not meant to be a gaming device, it's a way of communication. But for some reason people buy the iPhone because it's cool and does all these neat stuff and not because they can get good bars in places.

What happend to the phones of yesteryear? When they were all meant to talk to people and maybe a text here and there instead of just having a "really cool awesome things!"?

There's a difference between buying a game because you want to have fun and buying a game because "OMG!!@! I have GOTS to get that awesome super monkey ball game because it's like....AWESOME nd it's uses the tilt of the pnoe!!!!" I.E. Gimmick

That being said, I REAALLLYYY want and iPhone .-.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Jumplion said:
I don't see why people are getting worked up with iPhone games and the like.

It's a phone, it's not meant to be a gaming device, it's a way of communication. But for some reason people buy the iPhone because it's cool and does all these neat stuff and not because they can get good bars in places.

What happend to the phones of yesteryear? When they were all meant to talk to people and maybe a text here and there instead of just having a "really cool awesome things!"?

There's a difference between buying a game because you want to have fun and buying a game because "OMG!!@! I have GOTS to get that awesome super monkey ball game because it's like....AWESOME nd it's uses the tilt of the pnoe!!!!" I.E. Gimmick

That being said, I REAALLLYYY want and iPhone .-.
Personally I want a razor mostly because its fucking easy and doesn't need to be flipped side-ways and humped from behind to use it. Also why the fuck do people text when just calling each other up is so fucking easy as 2 seconds and then theres instantaneous talk?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bulletinmybrain said:
Personally I want a razor mostly because its fucking easy and doesn't need to be flipped side-ways and humped from behind to use it. Also why the fuck do people text when just calling each other up is so fucking easy as 2 seconds and then theres instantaneous talk?
Well, sometimes the person can't talk and letters are more legeble than your drunken voice.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
I know this is slightly off topic, but its amazing how many people have iphones. Just the other day on the bus I saw two 7 year old kids complaining about how there parents were "so stupid and cheap" that they wouldn't buy them iphones.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Direct competitors? Yes and no.

The PSP is an excellent game console with really really good multimedia capabilities. The multimedia capabilities of the iPhone are probably on a par with the PSP, but the iTunes tie-in definitely gives it the edge.

As far as communication goes, the iPhone again has the edge, but the PSP is much cheaper, and no monthly fees. Skype is available on the slim firmware, which, while not the same as cell service, is useful nonetheless, and again, cheaper, but the web browsing, while okay, is...ehhh.

As far as games go, the distribution of games across the PSP's library is about as even as you can expect (I'm sure the curve is at least slightly belled) between portable AAA titles, midmarket titles, and casual puzzlers and minigame collections. The distribution of iPhone titles I expect to remain as an s-curve, with casual titles under the big part of the curve, and a small number of AAA titles at the small end of the curve.

Which is not to say that the iPhone doesn't make for a compelling platform. Consider the peripherals that are builtin, and available to game with: GPS, camera, accelerometer, phone, wifi...the PSP does have GPS and camera available, but the camera won't be coming to North America, and they're both addons, so you can only use one at a time. Having all those things together on the iPhone makes it the ideal ARG platform. Imagine Law & Order, or CSI, as ARG games...you have to physically go to the crime scene to collect the evidence, the clues lead you to a bodega, and when you go there, their 'security cam footage' is downloaded to your phone, etc...make it two player coop where you're working with a partner, every case is a new game you buy, and you maintain a persistent character on the game servers, with achievements.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
bkd69 said:
Which is not to say that the iPhone doesn't make for a compelling platform. Consider the peripherals that are builtin, and available to game with: GPS, camera, accelerometer, phone, wifi...the PSP does have GPS and camera available, but the camera won't be coming to North America, and they're both addons, so you can only use one at a time. Having all those things together on the iPhone makes it the ideal ARG platform. Imagine Law & Order, or CSI, as ARG games...you have to physically go to the crime scene to collect the evidence, the clues lead you to a bodega, and when you go there, their 'security cam footage' is downloaded to your phone, etc...make it two player coop where you're working with a partner, every case is a new game you buy, and you maintain a persistent character on the game servers, with achievements.
Am I the only one who thinks this would be a fucking cool idea?
Yeah, but it would be too complicated. Plus, you'd have to go OuTsIdE!!! *dun dun dun!!*

oldmeme

Jul 9, 2008
As much as I love Apple (A damn load more than Microsoft) the iPhone/ iPod Touch will never get close to the PSP or DS with gaming as a sales bringer.

People who own an iPhone will very likely know about the apps but the contract price is far too high for your average Joe. Then about the Touch, I know four guys who own one and only one guy knew about the apps let alone the games. If Apple are very serious about this, some more advertising would help a ton.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
The I-phone IS NOT A GAMING CONSOLE; it plays games and other software but it was not concieved as a gaming device; with that in mind, and considering that the PSP and DS where designed as gaming devices with a hardware built as a gaming console, I don't think the I-phone is really a contender; it's more of a novelty.