Sony Not Doing Enough With Move, Says Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Not Doing Enough With Move, Says Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg

Sony is selling itself short by using Move as a replacement for a regular controller, says Microsoft's interactive entertainment boss Aaron Greenberg.

Greenberg has praised Sony's new motion controller the PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288354563&sr=8-1], calling it a "great product." He thought that Sony wasn't ambitious enough with its strategy for the device, however, and was content to target it at its existing audience.

Sony was presenting Move as a replacement for a traditional controller, Greenberg said, making a big deal about how gamers could use it to play games like SOCOM 4 [http://www.amazon.com/SOCOM-4-U-S-SEALs-Playstation-3/dp/B002ELCV00/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288354657&sr=1-2]. He thought that there would be users that would enjoy playing games that way, but said that Microsoft was taking a different approach. Rather than try and shoehorn its motion controller, Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288354603&sr=1-3], into games where it wouldn't necessarily fit, he said, Microsoft was looking to build games that had the device in mind from the outset. He reiterated that Kinect was a big deal for Microsoft, and said that the resources that the company had invested into it were on a par with the investment it had made in Xbox Live.

It's certainly true that Sony has been a lot more cautious with Move than Microsoft has been with Kinect, but I don't think it's accurate to say that it's only targeting its existing install base. Sony has definitely tried to present Move as something that core gamers would enjoy, but that's not been to the exclusion of a broader, more casual audience.

Kinect launches on November 4th in North America, November 10th in Europe and November 18th in Australia.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-28-microsofts-aaron-greenberg-interview?page=2]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Kevin Butler, I choose you!

Sony is marketing this to everyone, pretty much. The casual and core. Whatever those terms mean.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Go away, nobody cares.

Has this man even looked at his own product's launch line-up? /facepalm

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
Go away, nobody cares.

Of course he has! I mean look how awesome Knicet Adventures looks! /sarcasm.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Holy Shit

Woodsey said:
Go away, nobody cares.

Close this thread with this.

Micro$oft we get it we know that the Kinect will flop

STOP ACTING HIGH AND MIGHTY AND SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR FUCKS SAKE!

So sick of all these companies bickering like punk asses!

DIE IN A FIRE!

-Rage End-

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I really don't care what Microsoft has to say about their main competitor's products unless it's a complete "man bites dog" situation. I don't see why anyone else should, either.

Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Kevim Butler, I choose you!

Sony is marketing this to everyone, pretty much. The casual and core. Whatever those terms mean.
Butler's awesome.
OT: I think Kinect will have 800,000 sales worldwide at most.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I remember when both of these companies were laughing at the Wii and calling Nintendo out for trying to introduce motion controls. Now they are arguing with each other about how to introduce motion controls. I find this hilarious and sad all at the same time.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Were just going to have to wait a bit for this trend to die.... God motion controls suck, I wanna play Saints Row sitting with a coke and some cheetos on my fat ass, not by flapping my arms like a retard or while holding a womens sex toy....

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Kinect really looks like shit on a biscuit. I don't care much more for Move, but at least you can use it for more than that Kinectimals crap and Wii Sports ripoffs...

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Dude... you have NO room to talk.

I admit both sides have been amazingly uncreative in their offerings (seriously, I gave them a little credit), but at least PS3 people know how a good game is going to work on Move. How many times have your boys avoided giving 360 people a sign the Kinect initative isn't, or at the very least eventually, won't a waste of their time?

Jul 22, 2009
The only good thing I see about Kinect is at least it's trying to push boundaries... it's a lot closer to holodecks than Move is.

Lt. Vinciti said:
Microsoft we get it we know that the Kinect will flop
Fix'd.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
It's like the whole game industry is in a motion-sensor pissing contest. Or should I say, a Wii-ing contest? HA HA PUNS!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Jeronus said:
I remember when both of these companies were laughing at the Wii and calling Nintendo out for trying to introduce motion controls. Now they are arguing with each other about how to introduce motion controls. I find this hilarious and sad all at the same time.
Well I don't think Sony ever hated the idea of motion control:

I.E: Sixaxis.

PapaGamer

May 25, 2010
In other words, Kinect doesn't actually work with anything other than games specially designed for Kinect, and even then it sometimes sucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNOPKYFbPc

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
And how is Sony making a bad decision? At least, they are making it so the Move is useful to the whole system and it's games. The idea of playing Socom 4 as a "light gun" game is kinda cool. But also being able to play it with a standard controller is very nice. In fact, doesn't Nintendo do this with a lot of their games? Sounds more like Microsoft is afraid that the Kinect is going to die not in fire, but in ice.

For the record, I don't care about motion controls. I don't own a Wii and don't intend to. Anytime I played a game that used the Sixaxis controller, I turned off that option if it was available. Unless, they can prove me wrong, and give me a game that I would actually wanna play, I don't intend to get a Move on my PS3.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Kevim Butler, I choose you!

Hahaha, I love it. Nice sarcastic take on all these 'perfect family' advertisement.

I'm glad Sony isn't pushing this too much and pretending it will spark a revolution. It's just a nice gadget on the side of the normal stuff.
Jeronus said:
Sad indeed. Lucky for them most people don't remember.