Sony Patent Hammers GameStop Share Price

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
not false. read up on mods cour cases.
I could say the same.

Yes, your consumer rate is the reason why we cant have nice things.
You seem to enjoy products that are a direct effect of our "consumer rate." Kind of ridiculous to complain as you enjoy something made predominantly feasible by the ones you're complaining about. Maybe it's one of those cases of "keep your government hands off my medicare!"

You're welcome, by the way.

Still, the longer it takes to go full DD, the happier I will be. And I can download games pretty damned fast. In fact, it always baffles me to watch these people who enjoy Steam so much complain about having to wait 20 hours or so to get their game. Convenience, my eye.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
loa said:
Not that it's very likely to happen, according to analysts including Michael Pachter. "Sony is on record as saying that it has no desire to limit consumer choice," he said in an investors note. "Our more rational view is that Sony intends to put the ID matching technology into its consoles to provide individual publishers with the ability to block the playing of used games. The news has negatively impacted GameStop shares, and we think the reaction is overblown."
So sony doesn't want to "limit the customer choice", it only wants to give individual publishers means to limit it?
This either makes 0 sense or has been quote-butchered to oblivion.
Well I think it's sony's attempt to not be the bad guy while still attracting publishers because publishers are just as much customers as we are. Of course sony itself publishes games so first i'm curious to see if they actually put the tech in the machine and if they would use it on the games they publish.

Or we could say sony is a benevolent deity of gaming that chooses to create the ultimate evil and hold it so no one can use it... but ugh that probably isn't the case.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
The scary part is the PS4 will come out and play all games, including used ones. Then one day they'll remove it as a feature the same way they did to backwards compatibility in the PS3.

Also, how many games do I have to buy because my console dies. Now I have to deal with licenses on a physical disc. Fuck no.

And finally, I have more than one PS3 in my house. I can play games on either one. I don't know how companies don't see the fact that if I can't play my games on my consoles at my convenience, then I won't be buying any of their games.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Sony, the used games I have in my library, are those I could not find as not previously owned. If you use this patent, I can guarantee that you will lose a faithful customer.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Eh, it could be a way to force the issue of project $10. Right now, unlock codes are often needed just for shit like online play and DLC, and not everyone cares, especially if they're playing said used game years after the initial release (i.e. when there's not going to be much of an online community anymore).

Whereas with this, if you buy a used copy, they could force you to shell out $10 just to buy an unlock code that allows the game to work at all.

Goddamnit, Sony. I was a shoe-in for the PS4 because of Xbox Live, but if you but this shit on your console I'm going to wait and see if Microsoft does the same thing. If they don't, sorry, I'm converted.

EDIT: But if they did this and dropped the price to, say $40 per new release instead of $60 because they're no longer losing sales to the used market, I could be okay with it. ...However, what are the chances that'll idea will ever happen.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Foolproof said:
No, you are fully allowed to play your legally obtained games. You just can't play them using the online service Sony provided. So, if you chose to keep Linux, you can freely, so long as you don't then try and go online.

Oh, you want both Linux and online play? Are you familiar with the phrase "having your cake and eating it too?"
Ahh, so you are acknowledging that Sony is in fact limiting choices. Perhaps now you would like to justify how it's a good idea.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Candidus said:
Haven't bought a used game in a long time (as a mainly digital PC customer, that's probably quite normal). I actually think this tech is a good idea.

Though it seems they're going to use publishers to do the deed, I wouldn't be opposed to Sony if they made the tech standard with the PS4 themselves.

In my experience as a game retailer some time ago, it doesn't matter how tough times get, people will always find the money for their hobbies. They might do it with a very sour expression- they might be seriously pissed off- but they'll still fork the money over the counter rather than go without.

I'm not convinced that the obliteration of the pre-owned market would exclude anyone from gaming. Perhaps just the smallest, tiniest minority of the total number of people who SAY they couldn't afford it any more; a fraction of a fraction. The rest simply wouldn't be able to have as much, or to have as often. But when they DID buy, that money would be going to the publishers and developers as it should.
People FIND the money by selling back their old games. You take that away and game sales will drop.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Kheapathic said:
What I would love to see from this development is developers and such getting a cut of GameStop's used game revenues. Sony says they don't want to use it, but have it in case developers wish to use it. Now imagine a developer holding GameStop hostage saying they want a small % of their used game sales otherwise the disc is going to be locked. It may be a shady business practice but it would be good for the consumer and the developer... which means it won't be happening.
How would it be good for the consumer?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sylveria said:
Strazdas said:
Tanis said:
And tell me, when your digital games DON'T transfer to your next gen consoles.
-All that money lost.

You're NOT going to be pissed?
Or are you just so loaded with cash it doesn't matter to you?

10 years from now I'll STILL be able to play any game I own a PHYSICAL copy of, so long as I have the hardware.

Can you say the same about all the digital only games you have, many of which rely on DRM?
4. 10 years from now you will be able to play any game you had with same hardware. you will be albe to do the same for downloaded version ones. most downloadable games didnt start to DRM till last year, and that is not the fault of donwloads but of game companies. your physical copies (silly silly saying) are DRMed as well. try playing AC2 in 10 years when ubis servers are down, i dare you.
Try playing a game for DOS or Windows 95 on your PC right now without a third party program. Meanwhile, I'll toss Final Fantasy 7 in to my PSX. Let's see which works. Oh we're talking about modern consoles. Okay... we'll let me unplug my PS3's Ethernet cable and play.. hum.. what's a launch game.. Enchanted Arms. Well look at that.. it works just fine.
Many people still play Final Fantasy VII on PC. It is a Windows 95 game.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Foolproof said:
FoolKiller said:
The scary part is the PS4 will come out and play all games, including used ones. Then one day they'll remove it as a feature the same way they did to backwards compatibility in the PS3.
And when people buy it far more after the removal than before it, then that will completely validate the idea, and prove that playing used games, like backwards compatability, is not worthwhile to gamers.
All of us, me included, can be blamed for buying digital games that can't be resold. Maybe shit just got real and we need to stop and think before we buy the next Steam or PSN game.

However, wasn't there a ruling in Europe about people being able to resell their digital games? This would be in conflict with that ruling, wouldn't it?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sylveria said:
Try playing a game for DOS or Windows 95 on your PC right now without a third party program. Meanwhile, I'll toss Final Fantasy 7 in to my PSX. Let's see which works. Oh we're talking about modern consoles. Okay... we'll let me unplug my PS3's Ethernet cable and play.. hum.. what's a launch game.. Enchanted Arms. Well look at that.. it works just fine.
Lets see here. PSX is released somewhere around 1995, so lets for simplicity assume 15 years old is what you have. you have a 15 year old decide, and it run a 15 year old program. fine.
i have a PC that is 15 years old. it can run dos games with ease. and yes it still works, although there is no point in keeping it on for now. i could run a windows 95 games (infact, i do, Return Fire is its name) on my current PC, that is made in 2008. what you are trying to say is "you cant run a 15 year old game on a modern pc therefore mine is better" but can you run a PSX game on a PS3? if so, congratulations to sony for backward compactability, whos to say they wont keep that up with digital sales?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Crono1973 said:
People FIND the money by selling back their old games. You take that away and game sales will drop.

People will cut corners in all sorts of places rather than go without their hobbies, whether they can trade or not. People will always find money to game, the same as they'll ALWAYS find money to drink, even in dire straights.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Candidus said:
Crono1973 said:

People will cut corners in all sorts of places rather than go without their hobbies, whether they can trade or not. People will always find money to game, the same as they'll ALWAYS find money to drink, even in dire straights.
When a game costs $70 (next gen prices) with no possibility of getting it used, selling it back or renting it...sales will go down. You sound like Sony about 6 years ago "People will work 2 jobs to buy the PS3". You are as wrong as they were. People don't shit money, they trade in their old games to buy new ones because they have to.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Foolproof said:
Crono1973 said:
Kheapathic said:
What I would love to see from this development is developers and such getting a cut of GameStop's used game revenues. Sony says they don't want to use it, but have it in case developers wish to use it. Now imagine a developer holding GameStop hostage saying they want a small % of their used game sales otherwise the disc is going to be locked. It may be a shady business practice but it would be good for the consumer and the developer... which means it won't be happening.
How would it be good for the consumer?
It gives them better quality games.
Crono1973 said:
Foolproof said:
FoolKiller said:
And when people buy it far more after the removal than before it, then that will completely validate the idea, and prove that playing used games, like backwards compatability, is not worthwhile to gamers.
All of us, me included, can be blamed for buying digital games that can't be resold. Maybe shit just got real and we need to stop and think before we buy the next Steam or PSN game.

However, wasn't there a ruling in Europe about people being able to resell their digital games? This would be in conflict with that ruling, wouldn't it?
Devaluing the value of something to a resellers customer is in no way in legal conflict with the right of the buyer to resell something. You can resell the game if you want - the fact that what you're selling will be utterly useless to other people is of no legal consequence.

No-one but you is under any form of legal obligation to make what you're selling attractive to people.
How does holding Gamestop hostage make better games?

It isn't a matter of a product ACCIDENTALLY becoming worthless after the first sale, it's purposely made worthless after first sale. That would be a pro-active move to kill the used market.