Sony Patents a Way to Sabotage Used Game Market

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This is the future, all games will be downloaded online like steam. No physical copies that a person can resell. Hopefully, for this to work, then the games need to be cheaper as i will never spend full price on downloaded game. But if this is not the case and used game sales are killed then i just wont bother getting a new console. It wouldnt be worth my while as the few titles that are worth spending full price on on day of release are few and far between and 75% of games arnt worth full price anyway......mostly a rental if that.

So yeah, i can see this being a major blow to console/game sales.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I must be the only one that thinks it is possible that they could use this technology in conjunction with online passes and leave it at that. It would be a good system to prevent the first time buyer from having any undo work when wanting to play online, while allowing Sony to still rake in money from used players. I doubt they would be dumb enough to go any further than that.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I guess that makes it inevitable right? If that happens I'll just stop using consoles all together, switch back to PC gaming and watch the end of an era. Of course that probably wouldn't stop a lot of people from modding there consoles, like they do already.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
That is bullshit, plain and fucking simple. There are a million reasons why its bullshit, but it is. What a horrible, horrible invention.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well its a fairly simple solution for me. Sony's interest in this technology ends my interest in Sony, perminantly. Even if they don't use it.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
LOL Yes, Patent it so Microsoft can't use it and therefore sell a much more attractive machine. You done goof'd Sony.

and I am a PS1/2/3 Fanboy.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well, all I can say is, they better not implement this into their new consoles unless they're planning on committing corporate suicide.

Stephen Phillips

Mar 4, 2010
This is already a problem with games downloaded from places like the Playstation Store, XBox Live and Steam. They can't be re-sold as far as I'm aware.

This will make sure that physical copies can't be re-sold either which is really rough. There's a 2nd hand chain called Computer Exchange here in the UK (and abroad), it would disappear overnight if this patent was used at the loss of jobs and that would just be the tip of the iceberg.

It would be a really selfish thing for them to do. They made their profit off selling their original game, what more do they want? People are going to protest and they will see a big loss.

At least if they've patented it it means no-one else can do it ...... hang on!!! Maybe that's why they did it! Way to go SONY!!!! ( PS Just please don't use it yourself :) )

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
This is starting to make me glad that I play on the 360.

If Sony does actually go through with this, I'd simply find myself not wanting to by a PS3, I have the sort of budget where the only practical way for me to get games is to buy them used at pawn shops, as the Gamestop branches on my city are too far for me to go on foot from where I live.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fappy said:
If they don't have some plan for it I have to wonder why they spent the money to develop it in the first place. Though, I agree that they aren't likely dumb enough to utilize this for the PS4.
I can't tell if they're preparing to do something dictatorial, or they're patenting it so nobody else can abuse that power.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Most of my games for the PS3 are pre-owned, so this makes me consider the next X-Box despite having to pay to play online. On the other hand, if I buy a PS4 straight away then I guess I won't buy pre-owned games as I'd be buying them new and there wouldn't really be many of them. I'll just have to see if they DO implement it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Misterian said:
This is starting to make me glad that I play on the 360.

If Sony does actually go through with this, I'd simply find myself not wanting to by a PS3, I have the sort of budget where the only practical way for me to get games is to buy them used at pawn shops, as the Gamestop branches on my city are too far for me to go on foot from where I live.
It would happen on the PS4, not the PS3. Following your logic, I could say that I am glad I play on the PS3 because the Nextbox may use the Kinect 2.0 to insure that only 3 people can watch a movie and it too could have anti-used games tech. We already know the Nextbox will be full of ads since the 360 is full of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect 2.0 was used to ensure that you watched ads on the Nextbox.

The way I feel right now, I am out next gen. Wii U is not interesting to me and both the PS4 and Nextbox sound restricting.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
And up goes piracy, down goes game sales (because playing a friend's game NEVER results in sales...), and in come the excuses as to why this was a good idea and why it's our fault it failed.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[HEADING=2]You are all CHEAPSKATES![/HEADING]

Games cost from $20 - $60, and will last from 12 to 100+ hours with multiple play-throughs. And you're complaining? Do any of you know the financial set backs Sony & Microsoft has seen since both of their consoles came out? Do any of you care?

"No worldfest!" You all shout. "Give us games!"

Microsoft and Sony [http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/xbox-360-and-ps3-losses-total-8-billion-ex-sony-employee-paints-grim-future/comment-page-1/]have lost 8 BILLION dollars since they came out with the PS3 and Xbox360. They are struggling to expand their market, and keep costs down.

It's human nature to get comfortable with the status quote -- we're creatures of habbit; but Welcome to the new wave of security: an industry not only working toward your protection, but also for developers and industries.

You, the hardcore gamer, are not as important as the soft/casual consumers.

[HEADING=3]You point to the Wii U[/HEADING]
"They do good, sound business!" You say. "Look! They're so successful with casual gaming that they're trying to get the Hardcore culture."

Well, so much for trying. Crysis 3 is a no show for the Wii U [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/08/crysis-3-is-not-coming-to-the-wii-u-for-real-this-time/]. And now Castlevania is off the boat, too [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/konami-decides-against-castlevania-release-on-wii-u-2013018/] Neither is the upcoming Tomb Raider [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/07/correction-tomb-raider-not-targeting-wii-u.aspx]. And no Bioshock Infinite [http://www.gamespot.com/news/bioshock-infinite-skipping-wii-u-6401345]. Not to mention the lagging mess of their Online Store [http://kotaku.com/5973939/when-it-comes-to-the-wii-us-online-store-nintendo-is-dropping-the-ball].

There's no clarity of their future; but we're all counting on some measure of Genius to pull them through. I don't think it's going to happen.

[HEADING=3]Sony and Microsoft need to consolidate costs.[/HEADING]

This is why the future will be online downloads and purchases. It's logical. If you can sell directly, why not? If you can keep said product from being resold; why not? Enough of this silly Anti-wall street shtick. It's time to grow up, and realize that the world's changing faster than you are; and that the more adaptable you become, the more successful you will be.

EX: Netflix ruined Blockbuster and every tangible building competitor. We don't rent movies anymore. We stream. It isn't Netflix's fault that Blockbuster is in decline; Blockbuster should have seen this coming.

Change hurts, but we get used to it.

Just think how silly you'll feel when your children laugh at these aged concepts of used games.