Sony Patents a Way to Sabotage Used Game Market

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Just another potentially misguiding attempt to control content. Let them put it on there, I simply won't buy it. It'll be just another reason why PC gaming is light years ahead and way better than any console. That said, I have not really been able to buy a used PC game for a very long time. But we also have a lot more options as PC gamers when it comes to pricing and where we buy games.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Sony execs, apparently: "HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Seriously, how could anyone even remotely think this is a good business strategy? The business lost from lowered franchise recognition and from people flat-out refusing to buy your games can't possibly be outweighed by the increased new game sales. Hell, just patenting the tech was a bad PR move.

Edit: Plus, they'll probably get their pants sued off if they try this.

baddab

Mar 7, 2011
Baldr said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Baldr said:
WouldYouKindly said:
I always have this to say; WHY THE FUCK SHOULD YOU GET ANYTHING FROM USED SALES?!

If I sell anything else I own, the original creator doesn't expect to get anything at all out of it. I sell my car, that's all my money. I sell my TV, that's all my money. I sell my house, all my money.

In other words, of course you don't get anything from used sales, games industry. No industry does. What makes you so fucking special?
No other industry has to deal with retailers that market used items over new merchandise and undercut new sales.
The car industry does. Used car lots specifically undercut new sales and I'm pretty sure all the car companies would rather everyone have to buy new cars all the time.

If they want to cripple the used market, then go for a cheaper and more convenient digital distribution service. There's a reason why people use Steam so much, it's just easier than going to a store.
No they don't. You don't see Ford, Toyota, or any of the other major car brands putting used cars on the lots out in front. The used cars are usually in the back or in a separate lot.
Actually you do. I worked for a Ford dealership and we always put the used cars in front and middle with banners advertising them. On the sides the new cars went with nothing more than the window stickers. It is up to the seller how to arrange their products. It is not mandated by the manufactures.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Why do corporations think wasting money fighting tooth and nail against consumer culture will end well for them?

EMBRACE used saled, get involved in the process, make it EASIER for people to engage in used sales - they will make more money. This might even cut out the middlemen resulting in increased profits for producers and (potentially) savings for consumers.

Steam has cut out the middle-men. It doesn't need to provide used games because it has sales that are effectively the same thing for the consumer. Steam sees all of the revenue from those sales. Sure it would be -nice- to be able to sell a Steam copy of a game but considering how many I picked up for $5 I won't lose any sleep over it.

Essentially: If Sony wants to go ahead with this they better drop prices of new games by $20 across the board. But we know they won't do that.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well, I'm not surprised in the slightest. I think we all saw this coming. I don't know if they'd implement it right away, but I always knew they were considering these sorts of devices.

It will be circumvented within a week, I'm sure.

As for the morality of creating these devices - I wouldn't say it's "evil" but it is anti-consumer. They are, indirectly, trying to stop people from selling the games they own, and that isn't right.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So that could spell the end of bringing a game to a party or anything similar. Friend wants to bring a multiplayer game to your house? NOPE. Fuck's sake Sony. I try so hard to be on Playstation's side. >_<

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Mortis Nuncius said:
So, unlike the many that have done so already, I'm choosing to not jump the gun and make wild accusations in the process, but to withhold my judgment until after I've heard what Sony has planned for the patents (which hasn't even been made official yet). For all we know, they could be hoping to obtain the patent to prevent other companies from using that sort of technology with malicious intent. I'm not saying that it is their plan, so please don't tell me I'm wrong for my speculations.

[HEADING=2]Let's not point fingers, mkay?[/HEADING]
Not jumping the gun is generally the best course of action... but still, you have to wonder....

All I can say is that I hope Sony isn't dumb enough to use it.
Abomination said:
Essentially: If Sony wants to go ahead with this they better drop prices of new games by $20 across the board. But we know they won't do that.
All because of greed, greed, greed, amirite? Your idea would probably work, but because it won't make as MUCH money as they would otherwise, it ain't gonna happen.

Really, if you ask me, it all comes down to priorities: should they go through with this, it will clearly show that they care more about making money NOW than they do customer service and loyalty (which would be a more reliable way of securing cash flow than trying to squeeze it out their consumers). If they want people's money, they should give customers good reasons to give it to them.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
fuck that shit....

and the sad thing is there would still be plenty of fanboys to buy the PS4, I bought a pS3 this gen because it seemed like the better option for me, now whats the point of a console?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Matt K said:
Um, could you guys at least try to use the appropriate terms in your article? Sony did not patent this, they simply filed a patent application, which anyone can do on absolutely anything. Does not mean that Sony will get a patent on this (although they may, it'll be a few years at the least before there's any result).
You'd be surprised how quickly a patent can be issued. At least, here in the US. Sometimes in a short a time as a few months after application.

And, it's actually very likely they will be granted said patent. Given Microsoft patenting a "big brother"-esque monitoring system for streaming media and Apple patenting a God-damned geometric shape (rectangle with rounded corners), a green-lit patent on disc-locking technology isn't too far-fetched.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Fappy said:
If they don't have some plan for it I have to wonder why they spent the money to develop it in the first place. Though, I agree that they aren't likely dumb enough to utilize this for the PS4.
I'm not so sure Sony can afford to move forward with the PS4 in the first place. They're going off a financial cliff pretty fast, and without any brakes.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
They wouldn't have spent the money on developing and patenting this if they weren't going to use it. Wake up people, they're putting it in the PS4.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I have often said, especially in private, that this sort of technology is entirely feasible, easily implemented, and would mean the death of whichever company employed it first. Nintendo and Microsoft, if Sony employed this, would have fodder to use to lure former Sony users over en masse; Sony does not care about you, wants to violate first sale doctrines with an end run, wants to drive game stores to extinction, etc. They'll not just grab market share, they'll grab a lot of good will from companies like GameStop who would likely 'accidentally' undership Sony products or constantly move them to the rear of the store, etc. Remember, for all the ills associated with them, Sony NEEDS GameStop to move physical merchandise. They have a higher market penetration than anything else in terms of brick-&-mortar locations. Which means that for physical disc sales done in person, as well as moving the console itself- which is something of a concern, one would think -you need GameStop on board. And if you make negating used sales a cornerstone? No, they won't be on board. Not even close.

tl;dr: The only way Sony uses this technology is if they are suicidal or utterly delusional to the point they think they can just skip that minor in-person element of video game sales entirely.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Yeah. No. I'll stick with the PS3.
You "smart" consumers can have your PS4.
Have fun with Sony's "genius" plan.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Sony, evidently not satisfied with the console war, is now in the running for "Most Evil Game Corporation" title. Activition and EA both look hard to beat, but you're on your way there Sony! Ganbatte!

How am I going to explain to my wide-eyed little brother that games are made and published by people who also love games now?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
well if i like a game enough to buy it, ill buy it new so this doesnt hurt me in the slightest. as someone who has bounced back and forth between pc gaming and console gaming, i just dont get the big deal with having to buy games new. try and buy a used pc game at gamestop...go ahead, ill wait.

i welcome the idea of used games going away, then i wouldnt have to see the stupid debate pop up anymore

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
My guess is that Sony is copyrighting this so they can do it if Microsoft decides to do it first. They can't seriously be stupid enough to release this.

I'm a very poor person. I own a grand total of 2 console games, and i usually rent every other game from gamefly. If this happens, renting will become impossible along with used games, so no more games for me.

If they do This i'll skip the playstation and get the Nintendo console that'll be out at that time. It'll be nice to catch up on all the zelda games i missed.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, since Sony holds the patent for this at least we can be sure that Microsoft wont try to fuck us with it.

And last time i checked Sony officials werent so abysmally stupid as to force DRM such as this onto a console.

And theres a realatively low chance of it ever being used anyway.

So for now theres little issue to be actually had.