Sony Patents Split-Screen Multiplayer That Keeps Screens Whole

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
That is an excellent invention. If you can imrprove the refresh rate of the TV to 29.97 by multiples of the output channels you want, you could have numerous people watching different things all at the same time.
Eg: 8 people watching all at once: Each feedback is 29.97fps - 239.76Htz TV output required.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
The coolest thing to come out this year. WOW! Nice to know that Sony's R&D team isn't dicking around---which more than I can say for Apple.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Impressive, most impressive. Useless in this house, must be said. But still an incredibly innovative use for 3D technology.

fender

Jul 17, 2009
This sounds amazing, I can't wait to see how well it will work. Only problem I can see with it is the fact that you would have to shell out for a 3D TV to use it, but it might be worth it if you play lots of splitscreen games.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
IF and this is a big if nthis works as expected (probably not) I WILL WANT A 3D tv. For now it still sux

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
That still leaves the problem with sound. And handling headphones is not a solution as if I can't talk with my friend freely could just as well play in different rooms.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
If this works on the existing 3D televisions, then hell Sony, you surprise us once more. Might actually get me interested in a 3DTV.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
That's actually pretty fucking clever; not clever enough for me to buy a new, very expensive TV, but still very clever.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Of course the one company I don't own their current console from come up with this great idea. Seriously I hope this thing works.

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
mm a solid idea. i was ALWAYS bothered by this when playing FPS in the same room. be like oh you are in the room with the (insert weapon) let me go hunt you down. And it was rather dull considering you knew where each other were.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Holy flaming cow, consider me both agog and agape. What an absolutely fascinating idea...if it works, it'll be a marvel of technology and would completely reverse my opinion on the worthiness of 3D tv.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Daemascus said:
Holy shit Sony made something cool... My world is falling apart. This would be a definite pluss if they put it in their next gen consle.
Well, I wouldn't say they made it, since the tech has been around for a while.

I remember there was an adapter back in the PS2 days that would stretch out each half of a splitscreen-image and use similar technology to give each player their own "screen".

Granted, it didn't work very well at all, and both players were stuck with a maximum of 30 fps, but still.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
This sounds like the most interesting development for Sony I've heard in the last two years. That would, for me be priceless!

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
JediMB said:
Daemascus said:
Holy shit Sony made something cool... My world is falling apart. This would be a definite pluss if they put it in their next gen consle.
Well, I wouldn't say they made it, since the tech has been around for a while.

I remember there was an adapter back in the PS2 days that would stretch out each half of a splitscreen-image and use similar technology to give each player their own "screen".

Granted, it didn't work very well at all, and both players were stuck with a maximum of 30 fps, but still.
Its not the same thing. This is one screen displaying 2 images at the same time, not exspanding the split screen.