Sony Pictures Chairman on Ghostbusters Reboot "Haters" : "It's The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened"

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I seriously do not understand the world we live in now. What kind of world are we living in were guys like this can make these kind of boneheaded statements potential backlash be damned?

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I seriously do not understand the world we live in now. What kind of world are we living in were guys like this can make these kind of boneheaded statements potential backlash be damned?
This news piece. This thread. Showing confidence in the product and the brand. From the studio's point of view, this statement can't do any harm. Either he's right and very bad press is still positive press or people won't see it anyway, so why let the thing fizzle out and lose steam just as it's about to be released?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"And now I'm putting out the fire with gasoline, putting out the fire with gasoline..."

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Well actually, he can't, as apparently he was booted from FOX, previously. The cup of how much his bosses will put up with will eventually runneth over.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Something Amyss said:
munx13 said:
I highly doubt someone will go see a movie just because they can click the 'dislike' button
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Bayformers say hi.

If you try hard enough, you can come up with a list that would take whole books to store. But those two franchises specifically? If I had a dollar for every whiny "hater" with a ruined childhood who went to the midnight showings alone, I could put my hypothetical kids through college.

Michael Bay has called people out on this before, and...they proved him right.
I... I didn't saw the movies. So.... No dollar for you. :p
The difference is that Michael Bay movies at least are entertaining (if you have nothing else to do). This one not so much and goes the extra mile to antagonize those that make constructive criticism.
Micheal Bay never shut down people that mocked his movies for overuse of explosions or criticised his reusage of scenes from previous movies, bad jokes, etc.
In short this movie needs to generate controversy for the sake of getting a few dollars more or they wouldn't start bundling tickets and dvds to inflate numbers to save what is becoming a sinking ship.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Stewie Plisken said:
canadamus_prime said:
This news piece. This thread. Showing confidence in the product and the brand. From the studio's point of view, this statement can't do any harm. Either he's right and very bad press is still positive press or people won't see it anyway, so why let the thing fizzle out and lose steam just as it's about to be released?
Or maybe he's just an asshole and doesn't know anything about PR which apparently has become a pandemic.
FalloutJack said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well actually, he can't, as apparently he was booted from FOX, previously. The cup of how much his bosses will put up with will eventually runneth over.
That would make sense if he was the only one doing these, but there have been others and that's why I'm baffled by this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gatlank said:
That's okay, there are plenty more.
The difference is that Michael Bay movies at least are entertaining (if you have nothing else to do).
The mewling fanboys complaining about raped childhoods were saying the same thing. There were plenty of people convinced the movies would suck who went to the midnight screenings and opening night showings so they could be the first to get on YuTube or Tumblr or Twitter and scream about how these movies were the worst thing to ever happen to the sanctity of toy glorified 80s toy commercials.

In short this movie needs to generate controversy for the sake of getting a few dollars more or they wouldn't start bundling tickets and dvds to inflate numbers to save what is becoming a sinking ship.
?t doesn't need to generate controversy. It did that the minute they said women would be involved. We didn't have a writer or a director, we didn't have a cast or a screenshot, but we had outraged from "insulted" fans. And yeah, I know there's going to be special pleading how it's totes different this time because reasons, but it's the same excuses again.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
faefrost said:
Zenja said:
Fhqwhgod said:
Here is a thing to say: I will not even hate-watch that movie.
This is a behavior I don't understand, the hate watch. This guy actually has a point with it. I mean EVERYONE complains about Michael Bay but his movies make really good profits. Especially, the extremely hated Transformers... soon to release Part 5, and part 7 is greenlit. For all the rage, people still show up to watch Michael Bay movies which means you are voting FOR him with your wallet.

The hate watch is amazing consumer behavior. I don't spend my money on things I don't like or simply even don't approve of. How someone can pay to go see a movie they hate is beyond me. I would just be pissed for 2 hours and that doesnt sound like a good value. I can be pissed for free or go spend money to do something that takes my mind off of it. But to spend money to have it shoved in my face for two hours? I don't get that behavior.

But many people do it so, it wouldn't surprise me if he is right and this movie does awesome at the box office.
Bay makes embarrassing popcorn movies that people will guilty watch. But he doesn't typically stand up and accuse his primary fanbase of being racists or sexists for not liking his movies. Rothman is the fool that led Fan4stic. You remember the "You're all racist" approach to selling the film to its target audience?
Totally this. If you turn off your brain when you go in Michael Bay makes entertaining movies and i don't see cynical manipulation behind them. I see Bay like a 13 year old hyped up on caffeine shouting "More Gunfire! More Explosions!" I think he makes movies that way because he genuinely enjoys it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Gatlank said:
That's okay, there are plenty more.
You're making that same critical error where you think one person who does or doesn't do a thing is just one person. Once again "You're never the only one", so there are numerous people who will not see the movie. You will have to wait for results before saying that it'll definitely make money on antagonizing people with just words. Nothing is definite.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Zenja said:
This is a behavior I don't understand, the hate watch.
Honestly? It's...kinda fun. The same goes for most of the EA press conferences. It's really fun to watch something awful and then spew bile on it. It's kinda cathartic. And yes that includes angrily shouting for them to stop. I've done it recently with Penny Dreadful for instance, even though that's not really in the same league as truly awful shit.

Is it kinda dishonest or hypocritical? Oh yeah definitely. But God it feels good.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
How does anyone in his position get to call potential customers "haters" who's opinions, positive or negative, are "stupid things"? God they made the trailer as shitty as possible on purpose and I'm living in the corporate Matrix, aren't I?

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
There's evidence to suggests that the whole "This is going to suck because it stars women" narrative has been shaped and perpetuated by Sony themselves.

It's not accidental or a happy coincidence of 'free' publicity for them.

Do everyone a favor, don't watch the film because you feel some misplaced guilt or want to empower women. Wait for the reviews and then choose to watch it if it's legitimately good.

Studios should be punished for unnecessary remakes, especially if they suck.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Zenja said:
This guy actually has a point with it. I mean EVERYONE complains about Michael Bay but his movies make really good profits. Especially, the extremely hated Transformers... soon to release Part 5, and part 7 is greenlit. For all the rage, people still show up to watch Michael Bay movies which means you are voting FOR him with your wallet.
I think you might be overestimating "everyone" here.

Yes, if you go onto the internet and visit various forums (especially for 'nerd' sites) then it does seem like "everyone" does nothing but hate on Michael Bay movies, but the truth is that when you look at it from the context of the public at large: most people don't spend much (if any) time on the internet writing posts and blogging about movies.

Most of the movie-going public simply wants to be entertained and get bang for their buck, and love them or hate them, I'd argue that Bay's movie are generally pretty entertaining, breezy movies that are fun to watch for 2 hours and then completely forget about.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Zenja said:
This is a behavior I don't understand, the hate watch.
Honestly? It's...kinda fun. The same goes for most of the EA press conferences. It's really fun to watch something awful and then spew bile on it. It's kinda cathartic. And yes that includes angrily shouting for them to stop. I've done it recently with Penny Dreadful for instance, even though that's not really in the same league as truly awful shit.

Is it kinda dishonest or hypocritical? Oh yeah definitely. But God it feels good.
I don't think I personally will ever understand it, but different strokes for different folks I suppose. I was sure there was some kind of psychology behind it like that, but thanks for confirming that perspective. Even Last Airbender was a success in that it made twice its money back worldwide on a high budget. It did better than Marvel's Thor at the box office. However, all the Green Lantern hate didn't warrant people showing up.

Telefonegun

Dec 2, 2015
Feminists are getting angry for all the wrong reasons. Feminists are angry because all real men hate the New Ghostbusters movie and SJW's love it already. Feminists are angry because the movie is obviously good and funny and worth 10 Oscars. Feminists are angry because SONY is clearly trying to improve female rights around the world.

Ofcourse feminists are not angry because SONY is riding and betting on a feminist pc-horse on this movie. Feminists are not angry because the movie is a orginally all male main cast surprise success from the 80's and now it's all feminist flop even before the movie is out ( even the original Ghostbusters isn't a good movie TBH). Feminists are not angry because for (ah for all so high' heaven pc) Hollywood movie industry feminists are only worth a reshashing of a bad 80's movie.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
Zenja said:
This guy actually has a point with it. I mean EVERYONE complains about Michael Bay but his movies make really good profits. Especially, the extremely hated Transformers... soon to release Part 5, and part 7 is greenlit. For all the rage, people still show up to watch Michael Bay movies which means you are voting FOR him with your wallet.

Yes, if you go onto the internet and visit various forums (especially for 'nerd' sites) then it does seem like "everyone" does nothing but hate on Michael Bay movies, but the truth is that when you look at it from the context of the public at large: most people don't spend much (if any) time on the internet writing posts and blogging about movies.

Most of the movie-going public simply wants to be entertained and get bang for their buck, and love them or hate them, I'd argue that Bay's movie are generally pretty entertaining, breezy movies that are fun to watch for 2 hours and then completely forget about.
But no one does forget about them. They drag it through the mud for years. The whole "Michael Bay ruins childhoods" memes.

After I left the movies last weekend from seeing Out of the Shadows I went to Gamestop. Naturally, a guy overheard us mention the movie and he asked our opinion to which we recommended the film. This was directly followed up with a Bayism comment about how he had been hesitant because of Michael Bay being attached to the project. All of these internet posts are being made by people. Just like all of these tickets are being bought by people. The general consensus in pop culture is that Bay's movies are garbage. That isn't my adjective, that is the adjective most people assign to him.

There certainly exists a section of movie going audiences that have no clue who he even is. However, if someone is into Hollywood pop culture and films they certainly know and I have yet to see anyone outside of my small circle of friends defend his pretty stellar portfolio against the scrutiny. Most people jump on the hate bandwagon, and probably still watch his movies but act like they like them less than they do. I am sorry to anyone who is a Transformers or Turtles fan, but those properties were terrible even back in the 80s. If his movies disappoint or are worthy of scorn, I don't know what you were expecting walking into the theatre.

I kinda want to see Thundercats and especially He-Man live action, not because it was so great and epic, but because it is Thundercats and He-Man. That would be fun. I don't need it to be hyper realized and some Marvel movie levels of sequelization. Give me He-Man defending Eternia from Skeletor 1 time and have fun with it and stay true to it so that it deserves to be called He-Man or Thundercats. Bay has done that, for the most part, with Transformers and Turtles. Some minor deviation needs to be allowed. (Does it really matter if Casey Jones is a cop who got suspended instead of a vigilante hockey player who clearly doesnt have a team and isn't good enough to go pro? Or whatever.)

If it isn't that, is it Armageddon? Bad Boys? Pearl Harbor? The Rock? Pain and Gain? The Island? Where is the consistant library of poor movies that only focus on explosions and no depth or intriguing characters/relationships? I will totally grant that his movies are not realistic but rather fantasy stories told in the real world. But that goes for most movies Hollywood puts out.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
An article commenting about a comment made about some stupid comments. And now i'm commenting on the comment about a comment about some stupid comments. This is some low hanging fruit if ever I seen any. Don't be part of this circus, before typing some frothing emotional response, it is best to slow down and think what is the purpose of this? Appealling to your negative emotions is a very easy task, jumping on this makes no one any better than any of the silly comments within this magnificent chain of knee Jerking.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Something Amyss said:
munx13 said:
I highly doubt someone will go see a movie just because they can click the 'dislike' button
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Bayformers say hi.

If you try hard enough, you can come up with a list that would take whole books to store. But those two franchises specifically? If I had a dollar for every whiny "hater" with a ruined childhood who went to the midnight showings alone, I could put my hypothetical kids through college.

Michael Bay has called people out on this before, and...they proved him right.
That's honestly not enough to keep the movie franchise alive. Multimillion dollar productions like those need multiple viewings per person to make a profit. Haters /rarely/ go watch the movie more then once, and the ones you mention got far too big. I'm afraid the answer is that there are a lot of people who unironically enjoy these movies. If the business model of Ghost Busters is cashing in on the haters, they will have a strong first week, and then nothing. That's just not how the movie business works.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"I thought we needed a more global focus, because that's where the growth area is."
As a side note, does this make anyone else remember when game publishers announced they were "widening the demographics"/"going mainstream" with their games, and most of times it meant "removing all that made the IP unique and replacing it with generic stuff"?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Zenja said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Zenja said:

But no one does forget about them. They drag it through the mud for years. The whole "Michael Bay ruins childhoods" memes.

After I left the movies last weekend from seeing Out of the Shadows I went to Gamestop. Naturally, a guy overheard us mention the movie and he asked our opinion to which we recommended the film. This was directly followed up with a Bayism comment about how he had been hesitant because of Michael Bay being attached to the project. All of these internet posts are being made by people. Just like all of these tickets are being bought by people. The general consensus in pop culture is that Bay's movies are garbage. That isn't my adjective, that is the adjective most people assign to him.

There certainly exists a section of movie going audiences that have no clue who he even is. However, if someone is into Hollywood pop culture and films they certainly know and I have yet to see anyone outside of my small circle of friends defend his pretty stellar portfolio against the scrutiny. Most people jump on the hate bandwagon, and probably still watch his movies but act like they like them less than they do. I am sorry to anyone who is a Transformers or Turtles fan, but those properties were terrible even back in the 80s. If his movies disappoint or are worthy of scorn, I don't know what you were expecting walking into the theatre.

I kinda want to see Thundercats and especially He-Man live action, not because it was so great and epic, but because it is Thundercats and He-Man. That would be fun. I don't need it to be hyper realized and some Marvel movie levels of sequelization. Give me He-Man defending Eternia from Skeletor 1 time and have fun with it and stay true to it so that it deserves to be called He-Man or Thundercats. Bay has done that, for the most part, with Transformers and Turtles. Some minor deviation needs to be allowed. (Does it really matter if Casey Jones is a cop who got suspended instead of a vigilante hockey player who clearly doesnt have a team and isn't good enough to go pro? Or whatever.)

If it isn't that, is it Armageddon? Bad Boys? Pearl Harbor? The Rock? Pain and Gain? The Island? Where is the consistant library of poor movies that only focus on explosions and no depth or intriguing characters/relationships? I will totally grant that his movies are not realistic but rather fantasy stories told in the real world. But that goes for most movies Hollywood puts out.
You sort of reinforced my point.

"There are memes about this"

"Some person at Gamestop asked me about it, and then this other person at Gamestop said this"

"All these internet posts"

In other words: all pretty much exclusively nerd and geek stuff. But most of the public at large doesn't spend their time hanging out at Gamestop, posting tons of stuff about movies on-line, and creating memes. When we surround ourselves with this daily, yeah sure it feels like it is "everyone", but it's a wide world out there.