Sony Pictures Chairman on Ghostbusters Reboot "Haters" : "It's The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
You're making that same critical error where you think one person who does or doesn't do a thing is just one person.
No, I'm not. I'm pointing to the number of people who did. It's even in part of my post you edited out, so you should have known that:

The mewling fanboys complaining about raped childhoods were saying the same thing. There were plenty of people convinced the movies would suck who went to the midnight screenings and opening night showings so they could be the first to get on YuTube (sic) or Tumblr or Twitter and scream about how these movies were the worst thing to ever happen to the sanctity of toy glorified 80s toy commercials.
How many people didn't go is actually irrelevant. Transformers and TMNT were blockbusters. Transformers is greenlit out to its seventh movie. It doesn't matter that he's not the only one, ignoring the part where I never said or "thought" he was.

You will have to wait for results before saying that it'll definitely make money on antagonizing people with just words.
Please show me the part where I said Ghostbusters would definitely make money. like, directly quote me saying "Ghostbusters will definitely make money," or some permutation of that statement. Because I just re-read every post I made in this thread, and it ain't here.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Davroth said:
That's honestly not enough to keep the movie franchise alive.
And I didn't say it was, so why are you replying to me? Just thinking out loud, or did you mistake "disagreeing with someone's statement that people wouldn't go to a movie just to hit the dislike button" for endorsement of the Sony exec's statement?

The poster I initially quoted made a statement I disagreed with. Disagreeing with party A does not automatically mean agreement with party B.

Musou Sadie

May 19, 2016
I know no one, except Mundane Matt, in real life nor online who wants to see this garbage, and I think the horrible theme song made even mre people oppose to it.
Max Landis for the next Ghostbusters.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you're putting the cart before the horse.
Based on a statement I didn't make and a claim that required you to edit down my post.

Maybe you could be more concerned with what I've actually said.

Telefonegun

Dec 2, 2015
Don Incognito said:
I nearly flagged this for "Ghostbusters isn't a good movie TBH".

Then I did flag it for all the "hasty generalization" demonizing feminists, to say nothing of "all real men hate the New Ghostbusters movie".
Sarcasm, my dear Don sarcasm. Maybe read and learn about it from wikipedia. If you didn't catch the whole first paragraph is that. But the fact you didn't get even so blatantly obvious sarcasm makes me think.. are you feminist? Just a honest question not trying to offend anyone.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It is all something of a moot point really. No matter how much of a critical failure a movie is in the US, it will still make a shit load of money. How quality the film is rarely means anything in regards to how much it brings in at the box office.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Davroth said:
That's honestly not enough to keep the movie franchise alive.
And I didn't say it was, so why are you replying to me? Just thinking out loud, or did you mistake "disagreeing with someone's statement that people wouldn't go to a movie just to hit the dislike button" for endorsement of the Sony exec's statement?

The poster I initially quoted made a statement I disagreed with. Disagreeing with party A does not automatically mean agreement with party B.
I didn't say you said any of the sort.

Not sure where you got that from. I was just thinking out loud, too.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
He makes a good point. If it weren't for all the hate I've seen for this movie (justified or otherwise), I probably wouldn't have even noticed its announcement (I don't like Ghostbusters). I actually thought it was already out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Maybe you should be more concerned with what you said. You're the one assuming. I'm just noting it.
Then show me actually saying it. Seems simple enough.

Or stop telling me what I said when I've explicitly told you I didn't.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Something Amyss said:
FalloutJack said:
Maybe you should be more concerned with what you said. You're the one assuming. I'm just noting it.
Then show me actually saying it. Seems simple enough.

Or stop telling me what I said when I've explicitly told you I didn't.
Alright, sure.

Something Amyss said:
Gatlank said:
I... I didn't saw the movies. So.... No dollar for you. :p
That's okay, there are plenty more.
The difference is that Michael Bay movies at least are entertaining (if you have nothing else to do).
The mewling fanboys complaining about raped childhoods were saying the same thing. There were plenty of people convinced the movies would suck who went to the midnight screenings and opening night showings so they could be the first to get on YuTube or Tumblr or Twitter and scream about how these movies were the worst thing to ever happen to the sanctity of toy glorified 80s toy commercials.

In short this movie needs to generate controversy for the sake of getting a few dollars more or they wouldn't start bundling tickets and dvds to inflate numbers to save what is becoming a sinking ship.
?t doesn't need to generate controversy. It did that the minute they said women would be involved. We didn't have a writer or a director, we didn't have a cast or a screenshot, but we had outraged from "insulted" fans. And yeah, I know there's going to be special pleading how it's totes different this time because reasons, but it's the same excuses again.
It's all wrong, because it's all based upon a false premise. You may as well be pointing to a shooting caused by someone who plays GTA and decry video game violence. You don't know. All you have is a guess. The amount of people who will see this movie is somewhere between 'more than zero' and 'less than Earth's human population', and that's the truth. The reason why your statement is not definite? Because movies still flop. Will this one? Maybe. Can either of us REALLY say for sure? No. So, results, waiting for, etc.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
You don't know.
And you still haven't quoted where I claimed I did. Or where I claimed this movie would be a success. Even as I've literally said the opposite.

Nothing you just quoted there points to me thinking or claiming this movie will be a success. It points to me addressing the idea that people wouldn't go to the movies simply to hate on a movie. And even then, I haven't spoken to that it will happen, only that it can because it has. And that doesn't speak to the success of a movie. The best part is that I've already specifically said this.

Something Amyss said:

Seriously, stop telling me what I said when I clearly didn't.

Though honestly, I suspect there will be quite a few people who line up to rage at this one. This is a pattern that's absolutely easy to see. The success of this movie isn't guaranteed, but hatewatching it is all but. Also, the backlash that will come even if this is the best Ghostbusters move ever is pretty much guaranteed. Barring some Lovecraftian abomination descending from the sky and consuming the haters, you're probably going to see it.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Something Amyss said:
I can't hear you over how you're ignoring the matter at hand. I just did quote what you did wrong and explained. If you're not going to defend it properly, don't make such rash statements. Just admit that you don't KNOW how the movie is going to turn out, since that is the only answer that is accurate.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Creator002 said:
He makes a good point. If it weren't for all the hate I've seen for this movie (justified or otherwise), I probably wouldn't have even noticed its announcement (I don't like Ghostbusters). I actually thought it was already out.
That's the amazing thing about outrage. It is often great PR. People don't pay attention to ads, but people complaionining about raped childhoods will still turn heads. At least, for now. In 30 years, we will probably need literal wars to get this kind of attention, and who would be willing to do that over a movie?

FalloutJack said:
Just admit that you don't KNOW how the movie is going to turn out, since that is the only answer that is accurate.
Right. So what you're looking for is something that I've already specifically said. Multiple times. Mostly in response to you.

I wasn't going to respond any further, I was just going to slap you on ignore and be done with it, but I was gobsmacked by this one. You're claiming I said something I didn't, and demanding I say something I've already said. So you can keep telling me these things, and I can't stop you, but this is the end of my response on the matter. I dislike being misrepresented, but this has gone on long enough.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Something Amyss said:
You were gobsmacked because you either legitimately have no idea what I'm talking about despite having explained why your assumption as to whether this movie will be a success or a bomb is based upon the false assumption that you can accurately predict with certaintly how things will turn out when that information does not exist...or you're simply trying to annoy me, both of which is wrong, since the on the first part I've now explained like three or four times and on the second part, that just doesn't DO for forum conduct. When I say false premise, I mean that the basis for the line of reasoning you're using is incorrect because you speak from the position of an absolute that you do not have. You have a theory, but you speak as though it were totally a foregone conclusion, which is not true. If it were more obvious, one way or the other, it might've worked, but there are too many factors.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Declaring victory because your movie caused a shitstorm on the internet is kinda dumb and more then a little premature.

For the record, I thought some of AVGN's reasons for skipping the movie were kind of dumb. Specifically all that stuff about bringing back the original cast to "pass the torch" or whatever. I loved Ghostbusters as a kid, the movies and the cartoon. I still love them. But I don't need ancient looking Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd eating up screen time reminding me of how long it's been and how much older I am now. I felt the same way about Harrison Ford in The Force Awakens. Star Wars has always had a timeless feel but looking at Ford just reminds you how much the clock keeps ticking on everything.

Truthfully, I think the Ghostbusters game by Terminal Reality was about as good as we were going to get as far as a true "Ghostbusters 3" with the original cast goes.

As for the new Ghostbusters... I'll wait for the reviews and see what happens.

I do wish they gave it a slightly different title just so you could tell it apart from the original though.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Even if "haters" don't see the movie, the attention they generate still acts as advertising, not only might some people see it to spite the "haters", but the controversy overall brings awareness of the movies existence to a wider audience. It sucks, but there it is.

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Well, he's kind of right. It's free publicity. And his own hateful, stupid comments in the interview help advertise that the movie exists.

That doesn't change the fact that the trailers look like something made by Adam Sandler or Tyler Perry.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Otaku World Order said:
Truthfully, I think the Ghostbusters game by Terminal Reality was about as good as we were going to get as far as a true "Ghostbusters 3" with the original cast goes.
And that was a great fucking game. I love it. At this point, though, I think all these grumblecakes should back off, wait for the damn thing (pretty much like you said), and see the results.