Sony Pulls Grand Theft Auto V Pre-Order Files After Leaks

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ShadowGandalf01 said:
That explains how the trophy list appeared on PSNProfiles then... People just can't leave well enough alone can they?
You know what they say, curiosity killed the cat.

OT: See this isn't something I'm really gonna blame Sony for because let's face it, even if it was heavily encrypted people would still find ways to bypass it to find out about it early. That's really how technology is nowadays and in the age of the internet full cracks and leaks are definitely gonna keep happening, no matter how many security measures you put in.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Floppertje said:
black flag, descendents, youth brigade, circle jerks, the germs... looks like we're getting a punk rock radio station, awesome! I'm liking this ^^
I'm glad you said this because I am not willing to ruin a single thing for myself, but I'm glad to know that there's a punk station to look forward to.

Rip them down Hold me up Tell them that Im your gun Pull my trigger I am bigger than...

RIP Darby Crash
I haven't looked at any of the other stuff myself, don't want to spoil the story, but i WAS very curious about the radio stations and knowing that you have some good tunes to play to doesn't really qualify as a spoiler. The music was really good in San Andreas, glad they're keeping it that way.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
getoffmycloud said:
I don't understand why you would want to discover what is going to happen in the game you just bought by reading some files instead of playing it.
People are curious folk; they'll try to take a deeper look into anything if they have the will to do so. The discovery of the ending details were likely by accident after the files were cracked - It wasn't something known and directly aimed for. And, to be honest, Sony should've known that the files should be withheld until release day; especially in the Europe region, where many if not a majority of hacks and cracks of various files originate from.
I wonder if that has anything to do with the prevalence of delayed releases and the rather large chunk of games that never come to Europe. I'm sure the variable copyright laws don't hurt either, but this is all speculation on my part.

OT: Congratulations guys, you've probably just ensured that Sony will be much stricter in what, and when, they release in the European markets. Way to go. As said by an earlier poster, if you're curious, crack away, but keep it to yourselves please.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Seagoon said:
Fuck people who do stuff like this. Seriously, fuck them.
They aren't always bad. I thought their ferreting out From Ashes was on disc and had bveen developed prior to the games release (essentially locked on disc DLC) was a good bit of PSA. In this case I blame Sony. They, hell everyone should know better by now.

getoffmycloud said:
I don't understand why you would want to discover what is going to happen in the game you just bought by reading some files instead of playing it.
Some people like reading the last chapter of a novel first. Just how they are.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
008Zulu said:
I have to wonder; Did they think people were not going to crack the files?

I read the tracklist, and I will say this, I sure am glad that Rockstar allow users to import their own mp3s. At least on the P.C.
I agree . It's funny that after the fans discover the "ghost town" in GTA III and San Andreas, not to mention the whole hot coffee fiasco, Rockstar continues to underestimate the resourcefulness of its fans.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
It's one thing to crack a game's files and find some hidden, locked-away content that's going to be future DLC or something. Spreading the word about that is a form of protest/activism. But if all you're going to do is crack the game and start spoiling the story, you're not being an activist against shameful industry marketing policies, you're just being a royal douche.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Neronium said:
You know what they say, curiosity killed the cat.

OT: See this isn't something I'm really gonna blame Sony for because let's face it, even if it was heavily encrypted people would still find ways to bypass it to find out about it early. That's really how technology is nowadays and in the age of the internet full cracks and leaks are definitely gonna keep happening, no matter how many security measures you put in.
There is a difference between internal leaks (like leaks by employees) or similar leaks that deals with hard security problems and leaks like this caused by inappropriate use and application of technology.

The former is close to impossible to prevent, however this one is of the latter, and was rather easy to prevent. It has nothing to do with the internet being full of cracks: digital information that is encrypted using proper algorithms and standards are IMPOSSIBLE to crack with our current technology (and is going to remain being so in the foreseeable future), and the only way to get to them is to get a hold of the key. That is why software like Steam can allow you to pre-load games before they are released, but not actually play them before they release the key.

So yes, this one is on Sony.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
008Zulu said:

I read the tracklist, and I will say this, I sure am glad that Rockstar allow users to import their own mp3s. At least on the P.C.
That's all well and good, but most people use streaming services like Spotify or Wimp.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Pinkamena said:
008Zulu said:

That's all well and good, but most people use streaming services like Spotify or Wimp.
They do? Could've sworn most people have mp3 players. Not entirely sure what they're putting on them, but not mp3s apparently. Nor do I or any of my friends and family happen to have extensive music collections on their hard drives. Or CD/mp3 players in their cars.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
2HF said:
If you're playing GTA for the story you're doing it wrong.
Because enjoying a story in a sandbox game is clearly "doing it wrong". This comment reeks of ignorance. Please refrain from making such sweeping judgmental statements on things you're not an authority on in the future.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I was worried the game would be recalled altogether when I read the title. I guess I'm glad they're still going ahead with the 9/17/13 release date despite the fact that there's no reason for anyone to buy it anymore.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Sunrider84 said:
2HF said:
If you're playing GTA for the story you're doing it wrong.
Because enjoying a story in a sandbox game is clearly "doing it wrong". This comment reeks of ignorance. Please refrain from making such sweeping judgmental statements on things you're not an authority on in the future.
Possibly you should learn what a flippant and joking comment is. Otherwise you might go through life taking people entirely too seriously and letting it make you jaded and miserable.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
2HF said:
I don't get this.

There is a not a single person who is going to not buy the game because "oh no, I know the story of a GTA game now!". Even fewer than 0 people are going to not buy the game due to the set list being leaked. Why does anyone care? If you're playing GTA for the story you're doing it wrong.

GTA V will still sell a billion copies and soon nobody will even remember or care that some info that nobody cares about was leaked. Hell, the leak about Lazlo being back has actually made me more likely to purchase the game.

What the balls.
But I want to experience these things without prior knowledge of them! I want to be pleasantly surprised by the cool things not have them revealed before I even play.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
You think I am going to play GTA V for its story? If driving a jet through the city, parachuting onto a Ferrari, driving right through a police station, and jet packing out of the car into my penthouse is a part of the game's story, count me spoiled.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Lets get this straight:

1) Sony pre-loads GTAV on digital orders so there wont be as big of a spike on release day, helping to reduce issues.
2) Some people decides to take the oportunity to break open and take out files then spread them online.
3) Sony then has to remove pre-loading because of the incident thus the inevitable day one issues will occur.

This is why we can't have nice things, assholes that can't not be dicks and ruin it for everyone else.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Smertnik said:
Does it really matter that much? It's not like you can play the game with that data, it's only some sound files and unimportant stuff. I fail to see what the big deal is.
Actually, some dialogue was related to the ending of GTA.

Its the same debacle XCOM had when the devs actually shipped the real game's files with the demo. Everyone saw the ending before it was even released.
Yes, I know. So? The only thing it changes is that people who care enough have to watch out for spoilers a few weeks earlier than expected.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
This doesn't really affect anyone. Don't read up on this if you want to avoid spoilers.

It's really that simple, so calmeth downeth.