Sony Pulls Wipeout HD In-Game Ads Following Fan Uproar

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
I'm glad to see Sony listened to people for once. If advertising in games becomes common-place, I would expect a $10-$20 reduction in the price of the game. If they're making bank off advertising they don't need to charge standard price, now do they? ;)

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Quake Live has ads streamed from a database, although they are not video ads, they are just small in-game billboards which don't affect the gameplay at all.

Sony fail... id Software win! I will give credit to Sony for taking the ads down at least until they figure out how to get them to not affect the load times.

ProjectileVomit

Jan 18, 2008
What a laudatory act for pulling the ads away from Wipeout. Who doesn't get pissed when you play a game only to have advertisements bothering you to buy insurance.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
Quake Live has ads streamed from a database, although they are not video ads, they are just small in-game billboards which don't affect the gameplay at all.

Sony fail... id Software win! I will give credit to Sony for taking the ads down at least until they figure out how to get them to not affect the load times.
I can't see why billboards can't work in Wipeout. Just stick them in places where they'll seen for a moment, such as the starting grid.

Upon watching the [a href:"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8HTYfnI1E"]extended version[/a] of the video Keane linked to, it would seem that the advertisement is purely at fault as it demands that the advert be on display for a full 15 seconds, the selfish time-hogging bastards.

Jul 30, 2014
Depending on your business model, in-game Ads can be very important. Not so much for AAA titles by large Dev Studios, of course, but they can be key to the success of some indies. Hey, whatever it takes to make and present a great game.

Ads pre-game or pre-race, though. Ads actually built into the Environment are totally inappropriate unless the Logos for the companies represented are reworked to fit the theme of the game... "Future State Farm"! lol...